Pretending to be Dead

Pretending To Be Calm

One rolled up after the other, several soldiers were stationed in each vehicle, only one with the megaphone. Telling them not to move, and that precautions would be taken.

Addie and Daryl could only stand, placing their hands in plain sight, with automated weapons pointed at their heads they didn’t have much of a choice.

“Shit.” Daryl said. Obviously this was going to put a bit of a kink in their ‘save the world’ plan. Addie gave him a sympathetic look.

“They must’ve seen, or tracked the chopper.” She said.

They were approached by several men, each kept their weapons drawn until their commander gave the order. Their green suits showed that they were common scouting parties, but the commander in blue showed more importance than the others.

“State how you came in contact with one of our issued HU-1 Huey Helicopters.” the man in blue said.

“Nicked it.” Daryl said. Addie elbowed him in the ribs, trying to remind him this was a serious situation.

“Pick it up in a town, maybe hundred miles back east.” Addie said.

“Richmond?” he asked.

“No. Uh, Greenville I think.” Addie said.

“Greenville is a contamination site, it’s been quarantined.”

“Well that would explain all the signs and yellow tape.” Daryl said. Addie tapped him in the back of the head.

“Pardon sir… but isn’t everywhere a contamination zone?” Addie asked trying to sugarcoat over Daryl’s sarcasm.

“Not since the second outbreak ma’am. We’ll have to check you now, for infection.”

The men began to move towards them, pinning their arms behind their back.

“Second outbreak?” Addie questioned, her wrist twisted painfully, she let out a yelp.

“Hey!” Daryl shouted, “Watch it!”

“Sir remain calm, we need to check for infection.”

“Wait!” Addie yelled. “Wait! Let me explain!” she knew what they were about to find. Positive blood coursed through both their veins, and if they found it – they would be executed.

They inserted a metal needle into each of their arms, where it drew blood and retracted back into a scanner.

“Please!” Addie said, “It’ll be positive! Please let me-“

It hummed for a moment before it beeped twice and flashed red.

“Sir she’s right, both of them are positive for strain A.”

‘We’ll have to exterminate.” Said the commander, “On site.”

‘Yes sir!” they said in unison. While raising and preparing their weapons.

“Hey! Hey!” Daryl yelled struggling to get closer to Addie.

“No wait! We’ve been infected for months, it’s not- please! Listen!” Addie yelled again pulling against the guard that held her, she knew throwing him down would be a move that would get her killed instantly.

“Sorry ma’am policy is shoot on site, your remains will be cremated, and your names will be taken and added to the list of deceased so that family may be able to check in the future. I’m sorry, but it’s protocol.”

“Don’t you touch her!” Daryl yelled trying to fight his way out of their grasp.

“No! You don’t understand, please I- no don’t I’m pregnant!” Addie yelled. “Please, listen!”

Daryl looked at her, astounded. But it seemed her announcement was able to get everyone’s attention for a short moment.

“She could prove as a useful test subject.” One man said.

‘Agreed soldier, she will come along in the containment unit, execute the man.”

“NO!” Addie yelled, “Listen to me! I’m part of- We’re both part of an experiment! One initiated by Alderic Mimieux, and one of his colleagues – a doctor – a doctor Faust! We’ve been infected on purpose.”

“Doctor Arthur Faust, is among one of the many researchers at our facility, your blood would’ve picked up on our scanners.”

“No listen! Please!”

“Sir…” one man interjected, “she is French. She could know something.”

“Oui! I am from France, Alderic was my grandfather! Please don’t hurt us! Look! In the chopper there’s all our files, I can prove it.” The commander gave Addie a questionable look, Daryl’s was more of a glare. He didn’t like being handled this way, and he was sure to be shocked about Addie being pregnant.

“Check the chopper.” The commander said.

“Yes sir!” one soldier rummaged through the chopper and found the stack of neatly organized files, both collected from Addie as well as the abandoned humvee. “Sir they have French CDC documents as well as American, should we bring them both in?”

Addie and Daryl watched breathlessly.

“Just the girl, the male still must follow protocol.”

“NO!” Addie screamed, “I won’t go without him! All his progress will be lost!”

‘What do you mean?” the commander asked.

“That list, in French, there are more, more like me – we received a series of injections at a young age, all for research.”

“Yes, we are aware of Faust’s experiments for cellular production and they all determined failed-“

“Because the enzymes merge perfectly with whatever virus this is, and the correct serum lives in my veins. I’m stronger, I heal quickly, I am the soldier they meant to make.” Addie tried to explain as quickly as she could, she realized she sounded like a crazed movie plot – something obscure. But it was the truth – she was the final product, and she was in no way flawed.

“And the male?”

“I cured him.” Addie said, “That how I know a cure can be made.”

The commander looked at her. Addie’s face was serious, her breathing heavy, to prove her theory she punched her cooperation by bending back the arm of the guard holding her still, showing that she had only been playing along. He let her go, there was no use in fighting her strength.

“Fine. Both of you may come along, only to be inspected at the lab, but I can’t promise your fate won’t be the same as it would’ve been here.” He said.

“You’re doing us a favor sir, if you can take us to Faust that’s all we need, that’s… all we’ve been trying to do.”
_____________________________________________________________

The chopper was confiscated and flown ahead of them. Daryl and Addie sat in the back of a quarantine vehicle, both handcuffed to a steel handle.

“When did you plan on sharing that particular information?” Daryl asked.

“W-what?” Addie asked, forgetting that she had revealed her little secret.

“You didn’t think a baby was big enough news to share with me?” he asked.

“No! Daryl, no of course not… I didn’t – I still don’t know for sure.” She said, “I couldn’t bring myself to ask… to tell you – after last time. I didn’t want to be wrong you know?”

“So you kept it from me?” he asked her.

“Only because I was scared.” She said, Addie was crying now, “I didn’t want to let you down.”

Daryl remembered the last time she had told him she was pregnant. He had been more stunned than anything. But for her acted happy, unsure of what was to come of the situation. He only thought of himself as a child, and having one, that would’ve been an adventure in itself. But in their time spent together Daryl had grown to become a mighty protector, one that could care for a wife and child. Together that had been through so much, Daryl had completely passed out of who he thought he was.

He wasn’t in Merle’s shadow anymore, he wasn’t an outsider of the group, he was the soldier and protector of a woman who needed him more than she thought. And the news of a child made him happy.

“I couldn’t be happier.” Daryl said giving her the look she cherished most from him.

“Really Daryl?” she asked.

“Really.” He said. “I can protect you both.”

Addie smiled through her tears, and strangely Daryl loved to see her that way. So happy that she would shed tears. It mattered to him that she cared for him more than anyone else ever had. He had grown a real family with her these last few months, and he couldn’t have been more grateful.

He shifted so that she could lean against him instead of the uncomfortable metal of the vehicle. They were in for a long ride and Daryl was grateful they were both still here. He was sure that a bullet would’ve gone through his head at any moment – but as always Addie did anything she could to save him. He owed that girl his life many times over; he was just lucky she loved him – because he’d never be able to repay her that many times.