Pretending to be Dead

Pretending Not To Worry

They had fallen asleep together while the large SUV rolled over hills and bumps as they set off for this functioning science and military base. Addie was slightly carsick by the time they stopped, both wondered about the state of the base. Daryl feared a repeat of Dr. Jenner, Addie feared a dead end.

They stepped out together onto a dark muddy road, hidden behind a tall wire fence was a well secured concrete building. Small for a base.

"They expect to find a cure in that dump?" Daryl asked.

"It's got to all be underground." Addie said.

"Oh great, a rat trap." Daryl said while rolling his eyes, "No easy way out."

"Shh.. maybe there's an emergency exit just for you, but let's not piss these guys off for breaking protocol, Oui?"

"Yeah yeah." Daryl said.

They were both admitted through a small fence frame where several men in army uniforms and lab coats stared at them. Addie's precious documents were given to them, and they began to dissect them piece-by-piece. They were led inside the small building and into a fully functional steel elevator, which descended for a very long amount of time. Addie tightly held Daryl's hand while they made their way through winding halls and instructed to wait in a small room. There was a couch, a couple chairs and water on the table, which they both partook of greedily.

Daryl fell asleep lying in Addie's lap. He had enjoyed letting her sleep in the car, and his turn had come quickly as soon as they were situated comfortably on the couch. Addie was wide-awake - curious of what was to happen, whom she would talk to, if there were even experienced researchers in the bunch. If someone could actually read these documents properly, maybe more could be revealed to them.

This was a more than crucial moment in her life, ever since this story began. It seemed that he life started over in a way, but ridding herself of old friends, and her old home, she was able to adapt this new one, and start a family elsewhere, with someone who meant to protect her with his life. She felt so safe with Daryl, so happy.

Soon Addie fell asleep beside him, Daryl awoke, and returned to a slumber, and Addie did the same, until Addie realized, they had been sleeping on and off for longer than anticipated. From both of them being incredibly tired, a warm couch was more than enough to entice them for a prolonged period of time. But there were no windows; time of day was impossible to tell. Addie could only feel her body’s exhaustion had been fixed, and that the hours she thought would be spent here had turned into days. As if this were a mere proper holding cell for alive prisoners.

Daryl was fast asleep on her lap when there came a loud thud from behind the door, latches becoming detached, the door being opened. Daryl was awake in mere seconds, as Addie stood to greet the officer ahead of her.

“Where –“ she was cut off.

“Follow me.” He said.

“How-“ she began.

“This way.”

Both her and Daryl followed this uniform man down the hall to a distinguished lab, that Addie was relieved to see. They were brought to a decontamination room, fitted with sterile chambers in which they were rid of all air-borne and outdoor pathogens while the scanners checked their blood. Addie assumed the red indicators meant they were both positive for the virus, putting them both at a high risk, but were still allowed into a small section of the lab.

Addie’s medical papers and findings were strewn about across the desk, leaving her little understanding of what was going on. But perhaps someone had read and understood the documents.

Before she knew it there were more needles in her, and Daryl’s arm than she could count. Both were being tested on like lab rats. But for a cure, a vaccine… Addie would to anything.

****

After being given more water, they were brought back to their old room. Where they waited, this time for not as long before their door opened again. This time revealing a gray haired man with a lab coat, a man who entered their room, instead of instructing them to leave.

He sat across from them, drinking his own bottled water, carrying several papers. There was something so familiar about the way his hair was slicked back, they way the wedding ring on his finger was old and tarnished. Something about him was so comforting.

“Faust.” Addie said.

“Yes, that would be me.” He said calmly, “and you must be Adeline.”

“Oui.” She said, shaking his hand.

“So good to meet you both.” He said. “I’m afraid… I have good news and bad news.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is ridiculous how long it's taken me to post, so sorry, but here is what I have done. I hope I can finish this soon in a couple chapters so that you don't have to wait months at a time, so sorry you guys! Thanks for reading though, I know it is short. Very sorry.