Status: COMPLETED.

To Be Happy Now

with a little help from my friends

Alaska could sense the tension and the awkwardness just by standing outside the front door, with Ricky and Hayley right beside her. She glanced at them and they shrugged their shoulders–they didn't tell them.

Someone did, because John opened the door and that sense of tension and awkwardness just increased by a vast amount and she entered his house.

Ricky led them into the living room. Everyone was already there and the minute that they saw Alaska, they all shut up. Austin was there, he was drinking a beer with Jared Monaco and he gave her a small nod and smile. She felt the nervous butterflies in her stomach.

"Um," was all Alaska could say.

They were all there: Austin, John, Jared, Pat, Garrett, Kennedy, Joel, Ryan, Alex, Sean, Trey, Chee, Tim, and Eric. All the boys that she had met earlier but weren't too close friends with were there, right in front of her, and they knew about her cancer because someone told them.

Pat stood up.

"I'm so sorry," he said. "About–about your, uh, your cancer."

"Word travels fast," Alaska muttered, glancing at Hayley and then at Austin, across the room. He looked slightly drunk but he was giving her a smile–it made her feel safe, suddenly. She didn't feel so scared and pressured anymore.

"Look, Alaska," Tim said, looking around at his friends. "I know that we aren't the closest friends or anything, but we're all here for you. I never would've even thought that something like this would happen to you but you'll fight through it. You're a strong girl."

Alaska have him a smile. "Thanks, Tim."

The boys were all still staring at her and all she wanted was to be in the background like she always was, but all the attention aid, "You guys don't have to be so...cautious or anything. I'm still Alaska."

The boys chuckled nervously. Austin stood up and wandered over to her and draped his arm around her shoulders.

"Alaska is a strong girl," he nodded. "And you know what? She's going to kick this cancer's ass!"

Everyone cheered.

"And we'll all be right beside you because you're one of us now," Austin said, looking at his girlfriend.

Alaska couldn't help but let out a laugh. "Thank you, everyone. That means a lot. Now, please, stop staring at me like that. Go on," she waved her hands at them. "Do whatever it is you guys do all the time."

Everyone laughed and did as they were told. Alaska didn't expect such a reaction from them, but it was really nice. The thing was was that none of them had pity in their eyes, which was what she hated more than anything. They were all really supporting her through this, like real friends should.

"Thanks, Austin," she muttered to her boyfriend.

Austin smiled. "Of course." He kissed the top of her head.

Everything went normally, now. Alaska decided to be social and talked to a bunch of people. She and Pat talked about food. Her, Jared, and Tim talked about basketball. Her, Hayley, Alex, and Sean talked about music. By the end of the night, she managed to break out of her shell and really became friends with the people who claimed to be her friend.

"Hey," Joel slithered up to her as she leaned against a wall, drinking soda.

"Hi, Joel," Alaska said, with a smile.

"How're you?"

She nodded. "I've been better."

Joel chuckled. "Right, right."

"This is weird," she said, suddenly.

"What is?"

"All of this. I dunno, I'm always just in the back at parties and stuff and I like that. Now, I'm the center of attention and I'm just not used to it."

Joel laughed. "You're in a room full of musicians. I could see that."

Alaska looked up at him and laughed, too. She looked around the room at all of the boys and Hayley. They were all doing fun things. Her eyes found Austin who was staring at them. She glanced back at Joel who also saw him.

"I guess I'll just leave you here because Austin looks like he was to saw my head off," he chuckled. Alaska rolled her eyes and once he left, Austin came over.

"Hey," he said,

"Hey," Alaska replied.

They were silent and that was okay. His arm wrapped around her waist and pulled him close to her and they watched their friends talk and laugh and play video games and whatnot. It was a nice feeling and Alaska felt happy.

"Welcome to the family," Austin murmured in her ear. She looked up at him and then back at all of then. She smile at him and said,

"I'm glad to be apart of it."
♠ ♠ ♠
clothing

Hella short but I didn't think it needed to be long. Da boyz just bein' cute :)

This is the last happy chapter, though. Everything goes downhill from here on out.

THANK YOU to erika_xtc, , Anchors Away.shootingmoons, soonerorlater, blasttyrant, LongLive;;, WhoAreYouJudy, captain of my soul;, lovelyhope, hachie, and coffee break. for commenting :)