Status: COMPLETED.

To Be Happy Now

epilogue

He squeezed her hand to assure her that it was okay, and she took a breath and stood up. She walked over to the podium where all eyes were on her and looked around at the crowd. Her eyes found Jessika's, who gave her a thumbs up. She smiled.

"I met Max only a few months ago, when I started chemotherapy. He is an interesting man," scattered laughter filled the silence, "I never knew someone going through something like cancer would ever be so optimistic and jolly as Max. I mean, he was actually like Santa Claus," Alaska chuckled. "He's helped me so much in the short time I've known him. Like, to the point where he changed my life. I'm sure he's changed everyones life, because that's who he was. He's the man everyone went to with all of their problems. It's not a bad thing in the least bit, to be that person. One piece of advice that Max gave me was actually the first. He told me to never look on the dark side–to be optimistic even when you're suffering, because something good will come from it. To have hope. That's what he told me and it's the best thing I've ever heard. Max was a great man but I honestly think he'll be a guardian angel until we all go, right? He'll never ever be forgotten. Not by me, anyway..." Alaska smiled out to the crowd. Everyone started applauding and her smile widened and she sat back down next to Austin, who took her hand again.

It wasn't a sad funeral, like normal funeral's were. It was joyous, like Max. He would condemn everyone if they were to ever be sad over him. It was what he probably wanted.

"I'll miss him," Austin said, nodding, staring out at all the people approaching his closed coffin.

"We all will," Alaska murmured, watching, too.

Austin took Alaska's hand in his. A woman approached them and pulled Alaska into a hug, even though she didn't even know who she was.

"Um," Alaska said, glancing at Austin, who looked amused.

"Sorry," the woman said, chuckling. "I'm Ursula, Max's sister. He told me a lot about your little chemo group. I feel like I know you, Jessika, and Irena like you're my best friends."

Alaska smiled. "Oh, it's so nice to meet you."

"I just wanted to thank you for saying such nice words about Max. And I also wanted to congratulate you on making it through your surgery–Irena told me," she added to Alaska's confused face. "I don't know many people with ovarian cancer, but it must be horrible."

Alaska shrugged and glanced at Austin.

"I've had a good support system," she said.

"Are you Austin?" Ursula asked Austin.

"Yes, ma'am," he nodded.

"Max told me about you, too. Young love, I find it most fascinating. You're not going anywhere, are you?" she asked, pointing a finger.

Austin put an arm around Alaska and shook his head. "Never."

Alaska felt herself grin. Ursula left them be after saying goodbye and that she would love to see them again. Alaska turned around to face Austin and said,

"Never?"

Austin nodded. "Never."

Alaska gave him a skeptical look. "I'm a pain in the butt."

"You're my pain in the butt," Austin kissed her on the cheek. "I already told you, Alaska, that I'll be here until we all die. We've been through too much to give up now. I said I'm not going anywhere, so I'm not."

She smiled and kissed him.

"Is it too inappropriate right now if I ask you out on a date?" Austin asked. "I'm really in the mood to treating my girlfriend to someplace nice. Plus, I really think Max would want this."

Alaska giggled and shook her head.

"Well, m'lady!" Austin exclaimed, holding out his arm for her. "Off we go!"

"Ready to spend the rest of your life with me, Austin Gibbs? Taking care of me and going through all of this again? The cancer isn't exactly gone," Alaska asked, before linking her arm with his.

Austin nodded without hesitation.

"I'm ready to spend the rest of my life with you, Alaska Sumner."
♠ ♠ ♠
alaska

THAT'S ALL, FOLKS. Thank you guys SO much for reading this story. This was my first ever Austin Gibbs story and hopefully won't be the last, because I love him. Thank you for sticking through this story, even during its bad times. And thank you for leaving comments, if you did! Please leave some of your last thoughts, even if you were a silent reader this whole time. :)