Firework

1/1.

“W-What?” Frank croaked, eyes wide and filling with tears as he stared at his boyfriend. “You're breaking up with me? Why, what did I do?”

“You didn't do anything,” Mikey sighed, reaching a hand out in a form of comfort, only to pull it back when Frank's body began to shake. “Frank, we've been together for so long, don't you want to feel that rush of meeting someone new?”

“I still get that rush,” Frank said numbly, not looking at Mikey as he spoke, “every time I see you.”

“Frank-”

“I have to go,” Frank said quickly when his ex-boyfriend reached out to hug him. “I can't be here, not with you. I have to-”

The short, heart-broken man ran quickly down the busy streets of New Jersey, shoving people aside as tears blurred his vision. Many people shouted in his direction, empty threats hitting his ears as he ran and ran. He just couldn't believe this – Mikey broke up with him.

After many blocks, Frank found himself at the beach where he had met Mikey. As Frank took in his surroundings, the pain in his chest seemed to explode, destroying his heart and every other organ buried beneath his rib cage. Why did he bring himself here? Why?

Without even thinking about it, Frank carried himself over to the dock where Mikey had first kissed him. There had been fireworks, both in the sky and in Frank's eyes when Mikey closed that gap between them, but now all Frank saw was darkness.

Frank stood at the edge of the dock for a few minutes, staring down at the blistering waves that were colliding together so beautifully, Frank wanted to be a part of the chaos. He could not swim, something he had never bothered to learn as a child because he would always end up sick the day after, but that didn't stop Frank from plunging into the water.

It only took a minute or two for the waves to crash over Frank's shaking form, the salty water blocking his vision and filling his lungs. It was surprisingly peaceful beneath the water, despite the fact that his lungs felt like they were on fire. Frank enjoyed the feeling of the waves pushing him around like a rag doll.

Frank could feel himself drifting away from his body, disappearing into the waves of the ocean, only to have something firm grip onto him tightly and pull at his arm with such an urgency, Frank realized that it wasn't the waves pulling him this time.

Suddenly Frank's head was above water, oxygen filling his lungs while blood spewed out of his mouth. He couldn't see who was pulling him out of the water, his eyes clouded with black spots, but he immediately recognized the voice shouting in his ears.

“What the fuck were you thinking, Frank?! You can't fucking swim, you stupid idiot! Why would you do that to me, why?!”

“M-Mikey?” Frank croaked, desperately trying to rid himself of the black spots by blinking continuously. “Mikey, what- what are you doing here?”

“Saving my stupid fucking boyfriend from killing himself!” Mikey growled, finally releasing Frank's arm and letting the younger man fall to dock with a thud. The spots were finally gone and Frank could see Mikey standing above him, his chest heaving as he pushed his wet hair out of his face.

“Boyfriend?” Frank whispered, too tired to look away from Mikey as he spoke. “You just broke up with me, asshole.”

“Because I thought you were bored of me, Frank!” Mikey exclaimed, throwing his hands into the air angrily. “I thought you were done with this relationship, but you wouldn't break up with me for my sake! I thought you were unhappy, you stupid fucking midget!”

Frank cracked a smile as Mikey finally stopped throwing his arms around like a maniac, knowing that Mikey wasn't really upset with Frank – he only called Frank a midget when he was running out of insults. “Come here, Mikey.”

“Why should I-”

Please,” Frank reached a hand up and saw Mikey's features soften as he nodded, slinking down to the wooden dock that Frank was laying on and curling up to his side. The two water-drenched lovers laid still for a moment, their lungs appreciating the oxygen that was finally surrounding the two. Frank finally shifted his weight so that he was face-to-face with Mikey, a small smile on his face.

“I'm very happy with you, Mikeyway,” Mikey smiled at the use of his last name, loving it when Frank would say his two names so quickly that it sounded like one. “And I will never, ever get bored of you. I- I love you, Mikey.”

Mikey's eyes grew wide as he absorbed this new piece of information, repeating those three words over and over in his head. It was something that Frank would refuse to say to Mikey when they first got together because he didn't want to over-use it; he wanted to say it when he truly meant it. “Y-You do?”

“I always have,” Frank nodded, inching forward so that his nose was brushing against Mikey's. “Always will.”

“Oh Frank,” Mikey sighed, cupping his boyfriend's face in his large hand, kissing him passionately as fireworks exploded in the night sky. The two pulled away, smiling up at the bright lights high above their heads before looking back at each other, the light returning back to their eyes as they stared at each other. “I love you, too, Frank. Always.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading.
Feedback would be wonderful.

p.s. I'm late for work but I really wanted to post this. Sorry for any errors - I'll check it later.