‹ Prequel: A Lot of Potential
Sequel: You Are My Only One

Show My Cards, Gave You My Heart

Back To Basics

My alarm buzzed on the 6 o'clock dot. I groaned, hitting the snooze button on the alarm clock.

"Babe, get up." Alex mumbled from my side.

"I don't wanna." I sighed, sitting up. I forced myself into the shower, letting the warm water run down my back to fully wake me up. When I was finished, I wrapped myself up in a towel and walked to the mirror and began messing with my hair. I dried it and straightened it like I normally would on a school morning.

I went back into the bedroom to find my clothes I had laid out earlier this morning when I couldn't sleep. I put on a blue tank top with a white vest over it, skinny jeans, my toms, and the necklace Alex gave me.

He still laid in the bed, half asleep. I picked up my pillow and hit him in the chest with it. "Alex, wake up!"

"No. I can't." he sighed sitting up.

I rolled my eyes and walked back into the bathroom and did my eye makeup. I also applied a black and white bow in my hair. I stared deep into the mirror, pointing out every flaw I owned. I was extremely happy that I wasn't pregnant because that would just lower my confidence.

I stood at the bathroom doorway, seeing Alex had made a little progress with waking up. He sat on the bed with jeans and shoes on. He slipped on his shirt and stood up, walking to the closet to grab a beanie and a hoodie. "You might need one of these later." he tiredly said, looking at my sleeveless option of clothing. He brought me a black hoodie with the words 'All Time Low' down the side in silver letters.

I slid my arms through the sleeves, seeing that it fit loosely like all of his other hoodies that I've worn. He picked up my backpack that sat in the corner of the room and threw it around his shoulders. Sadly it was time to start my senior year.

We wandered down the stairs and grabbed the keys to the Cadillac, leaving to start the short drive to Dulaney High School. "I really don't wanna do this, Alex." I sighed, looking out our intertwined fingers.

"I know baby, but you've gotta finish school." he yawned. "Try to have fun. Make new friends."

"But I'm awkward." I frowned at him. "High school won't be the same without you there. No one to help me with my maths or no one to lean on in Bio."

"Look, it's gonna be okay." he said, stopping the car in front of Dulaney. "I'll see you after school. Text or call me if you need anything okay? I love you baby, please, have a good day."

"Whatever." I rolled my eyes, pushing the car door open. "I love you too, bye." I slammed the door shut, singing my bag over my shoulder. I heard the wheels of my car spin in the parking lot, making me turn around to see what was going on. Asshole.

I walked into hell on earth, just in time before the first bell rang. I got my schedule from the office and went to my first period. I think I stopped breathing when I walked into my AP English class to see Lucas sitting in the back right corner of the room. I took a seat in the very last desk on the left side of the room, waiting for Mrs. Roberts to take roll.

The final bell rang and she began taking roll, telling the class to shut up why she did so. "Fields, Fitzpatrick, Gaskarth.. Gaskarth? I didn't know Alexander Gaskarth had a little sister." she smiled back at me.

"I'm not his sister, I'm his wife." I bit the inside of my cheek, feeling all the students in the room turn to burn holes in my skin with their eyes.
__________________________________________
Lunch finally arrived. I sat by myself at the table Alex, Rian, Zack, Kara, Kay, Jack, and Dylan sat at last year. The Sophomore bitches walked by and pointed and laughed at me. I was just ready to go home.

My phone beeped in my hand. I looked at the contact, seeing it was Alex.

From Alex: Hi, how's it going? :)

I quickly hit buttons back on the new iPhone he had replaced my Blackberry with.

Oh, just great! LOL JK, it's fucking lame.

From Alex: -___- I'm hungry.

I'm at lunch, and I'm getting laughed at for sitting alone.

I texted him back and forth, getting interrupted by this year's head cheerleader, Lauren Bates. "Hi, Haley!" she said, flipping her blonde hair over her shoulder. "Are you interested in trying out for cheerleader this year?"

God, I really hated her guts. She was probably the biggest fake of Dulaney. I found out the hard way in Freshman year when she spread rumors about me spreading my legs to all the guys in our class. And I actually thought she was my best friend besides Jenna. Then the worst part, she had a thing for Alex. Before Alex and I ever had dating history, she would always try to flirt with him in front of me to make me jealous. Then it would make my day when he turned her down.

"No thanks." I politely said back. "Thanks for asking though."

Then a sophomore cheerleader, Jessica, walked next to her. God, here we go. "I don't even know why you're asking her Lauren, she'd make our squad look bad with her history of her spreading them wide for the boys."

I bit the inside of my cheek to contain my posture. Just to keep from calling her out for being the biggest slut, know she's also slept with Lucas. That gives you a bad name just for that. "You really don't know my sex life, so why are you calling me out on it?"

"Haley, we all know you put yourself out to majority of the guys in our class." she laughed bitchily. My eyes looked up at Lauren, who stood with a smile on her face.

"Lets get this fucking straight, you stupid bitches." I snapped. "I've only had sex with one guy in my whole entire life. You guys are just so fucking bored with your lives so you have to make something up about mine. It doesn't make you look like a better person, it makes you look like no-good, pathetic motherfucking bitches."

They stood there shocked for a moment with a face saying: Did the shy girl we always pick on just talk back? They were lost for words.

I watched as Jessica's face light up into a bitchy smile. "One." she laughed, making quotation marks with her fingers.

"And I'm fucking married to that man." I shoved my left hand out, showing them the diamond ring on my third finger. I stood up and picked up my bag, quickly walking away from them before I did get angry and slap a couple bitches.

Just when I thought things couldn't get worse, they did. My hair was in my eyes and I didn't see a thing. I was in a hurry to get out, and I happened to smack into a larger body. Whoever it was had a ice cold drink and it had to spill all down my chest. "Fuck!" I cursed, pushing my hair out of my eyes.

"What's wrong kitten? Why are you in a hurry? Don't have your little husband to protect you?" Lucas laughed bitterly, looking at my chest.

"You're a fucking pig." I pushed around him, running to the door that led out to the courtyard. I walked out to a secluded area of the courtyard and pulled my phone out of my pocket, searching for Alex's contact. I hit the green button and listened to the rings.

Alex's POV:

I sat in the living room, staring at the fresh lyrics I've written this morning. I've been working for the past five hours at the most and had up to the bridge done. I was hoping to have it by the time Haley came home so I could play it for her.

I tried to pick up where I left off, playing chords on my acoustic guitar. This was the final song that pieced together our full-length album that we were going to start working on in the next few upcoming days. "Even though she doesn't believe in love, he's determined to call her bluff. Who could deny these butterflies-" I sang, being pulled away from my concentration with the sound of my phone ringing. "What the hell?"

I picked up my phone to see the contact. Haley was calling me. I bit my lip before I answered. "Hello?"

"Alex, please get me out of this place." her tiny voice said in a distressed tone.

"Why? What's wrong?"

"I haven't went to fucking school a day, and I already have people after me." she sighed. "I got hell from snobby cheerleaders and I got a fucking drink spilled down my shirt by yours truly, Lucas." she took a deep breath. "I just really want to leave Dulaney. I'll go somewhere else, I promise. Just please, come get me."

"Baby, I-"

"Alex, please. I'm begging you!" she angrily said, now starting to cry.

"Love, don't cry. I was going to say I was going to be there soon." I told her, throwing my guitar onto the sofa. I stood up and dashed to the door, slamming it shut behind me. "I'll be there in like five minutes. Just chill, okay?"

"Okay." she whispered, hanging up. I got into the Range Rover and didn't take time being careful. I gripped the wheel tightly, getting frustrated with the traffic. So much for five minutes.

Haley's POV:

I sat in front of the school building, leaning against the bricks. I got a lot of stares from the students around, which made my confidence lower even more. It had been longer than five minutes and I had been waiting, and there was only about three minutes left of lunch.

My heart thudded in my chest when the Range Rover showed up and parked in the parking lot. My tall, lean, husband hopped out of his car and walked quickly down the sidewalk to the front of the school. I stood up from the ground and waited for him to reach the doors. "Alex." I croaked, getting his attention since he didn't see me. He walked over to me and grabbed my hand.

"You're out of this place for good, baby." he smiled at me, relieving me of this stress.

We walked to the office where he signed me out, then telling Mrs. Mackenzie I was gone for good. The bell for the fifth hour class rang as we left the office. He never let go of my hand as we stopped to wait on students to move out of our way. "Wait, Alex, I need my bag." I remembered that I had left my bag in my locker.

"Alright, we'll go get it." he told me, leading me down the hallway. Students and teachers gave us strange looks as we walked down the hallway. I knew what they were thinking: Gaskarth doesn't go here anymore, what is he doing here?

"Did I mention I got your locker from last year?" I giggled, stopping at a locker on the top.

"Seriously?" he laughed. "Have fun. This was a bastard to open."

"I noticed this morning." I rolled my eyes. "And the combination is the same too."

"Here, let me get it then." he said, twisting the lock to the numbers 11-21-11. He pulled it open and grabbed the black backpack I had that was taped up with brightly colored duck tape. He tried to get me a new one, but I refused to. I had that sucker since I was in the 7th grade. "You and your ridiculous backpack, I swear." he laughed, throwing it over his shoulder.

"Shut up, hater." I shook my head and smiled. "Lets gooo!" I grabbed his hand and yanked him down the senior hallway. We passed the bitches giving me hell earlier on our way out, them giggling at me for Alex now being there.

We drove home, the whole way back Alex explaining to me what he was doing when I called. He told me that I ruined his plans of writing a song and playing it for me when I got home. All I could do was apologize for it, but he told me not to worry.

I frolicked around in the kitchen for a while, trying to stay out of Alex's way so he could finish his song. I ended up going to get the mail out of boredom. I danced out to the edge of the driveway, pulling the little door open on the mailbox. There were only three letters. One was a phone bill, another a piece of junk mail, then the other one was a handwritten letter to me. I looked at the return address Amanda Wyatt.

I tucked the letters under my arm and turned on my heel to walk back to the house. "Hello!" I heard a female voice say from across the street. I turned and waved to her, thinking about what I should do. Talk to strangers or no?

"Hi there." I smiled, carefully walking across the street.

"How are you?"

"I'm very good. How are you, ma'am?" I politely said back.

"I'm good. I'm Rebecca Reynolds. You've been living here for almost 4 months now and I haven't met you yet." she stuck her hand out for me to shake.

"I'm Haley Gaskarth." I nodded, shaking her hand. "And then my husband, Alexander." I pointed back to the house, realizing I made no sense.

"It's very nice to meet you. I'll have to meet him some other time." she laughed. "Now, I have a question. We have a bunch of puppies we're trying to get rid of. Would you and your husband be interested?"

"Yes, totally." I said. "What kind are they?"

"Papillons. They're like the cutest thing ever."

"Okay." I nodded.

"All I have is boys, I hope you don't mind. I'll just bring you one if that's okay." she pointed to her house.

"That's fine." I shrugged. "A puppy is fine with me."

"Okay, i'll be right back!" she said, darting towards her house.

A few minutes later she returned with a small puppy. He was white and brown and very fluffy. I do admit, I loved him already. She handed me him to hold, and I took him automatically. He licked my face, causing me to crinkle my nose. "You have puppy breath, you know that? Does he have a name?"

"No." she shook her head. "Feel free to name him whatever you want."

"Okay. Thank you so much." I smiled, taking a step backwards. "I need to get back now before I freak Alex out because the house is too quiet."

She laughed and waved. "Bye."

"Bye, thank you again!" I turned on my heel, quickly walking to the front door. I pushed it open and walked into the kitchen, throwing the mail onto the counter. Alex was too busy messing with his guitar to realize what I had in my arms. "Alex, babe?"

"Yeah love?"

"Guess what I have." I smiled, looking down at the small puppy in my arms.

"I don't know. What?" he said, still looking down at his music sheet.

I walked over to the couch and sat down next to him, letting the small puppy pounce on top of him. "See?"

"Holy fuck, where'd you come from little guy?" he laughed, petting the little fuzzball.

"I went out to get the mail and our neighbor asked me if we wanted one. You said something about getting a puppy so I said sure."

"Cute little thing." he kept petting it. "Does he have a name?"

"No. We get to be the ones to name him." I sighed, thinking about things to call it. Sam, Gordon, a weird name, another weird name.

"Sebastian."

"I like that. Baz for short." I also started to pet him.

"Making a start to our small little family." he laughed, kissing me lovingly. Sebastian barked, causing Alex to narrow his eyes at him. "You don't like that do you? Well get over it, bud. She's mine."

"Okay, babe, don't get into a fight with the puppy." I rolled my eyes, hugging onto Baz. "He's a lot cuter than you."

"He's a dog though."

"I see nothing wrong with that." I giggled. "Just accept it."

"Fine." he rolled his eyes and began to strum on his guitar again.

Just one small happy family.
♠ ♠ ♠
first chapter. c: okay job on this :D
Now we have Sebastian in the story. Aww, he's like the cutest thing ever. c:
Comment & Subscribe.