‹ Prequel: A Lot of Potential
Sequel: You Are My Only One

Show My Cards, Gave You My Heart

Close Enough

Alex's parents were having that dinner he discussed with me a few weeks ago today. I had finished dressing Madalynn in a onsie, jeans, and socks, and put a red bow in her thick dark brown hair. She smiled at me and wiggled her fingers. "Mmm! Ah!" she cooed.

"Close." I told her. "It's Mama."

"Mmm! Ma!"

"Mama?"

"Don't say Mama, say Dada." Alex walked in, buttoning the last button of his plaid shirt.

"Ahh." she responded, reaching for him now.

"Fine, work with her but not me." he shook his head and picked her up. "Are you ever going to learn to sit up on your own?"

"Hey, she's trying." I giggled, pulling on my tights. I put on a white dress, grey and black scarf, and my heels.

"Lets go downstairs why your mom gets ready." he said to her, exiting the room. I took the quietness as an advantage to accomplish more. I walked into the bathroom and did my makeup, not feeling bothered to curl my hair. I pulled it into a neat ponytail and called it good. I scampered down to the living room, finding them on the sofa. Madi had a little game going with Alex. She threw her pacifier in the floor and he would retrieve it and give it back, only for her to throw it in the floor again. It was a repeating process until Alex noticed me watching. "Madalynn Renae." he chuckled, picking it up and handing it back to her.

She threw it again and smiled at him. He picked it up and didn't give it back this time, making her whimper and reach for his hand. I giggled and sat down on the other side of Alex, taking the pacifier from him. I stuck it in her mouth where it belonged and she smiled again. "Keep it where it belongs, baby."

"Listen to your Mom." Alex stood up, walking to the kitchen. I picked Madi up from the sofa and sat her up in my lap, tickling her stomach. I continued to play with her until Alex returned. He sat down and she reached for him. He happily took her and placed her in his lap. "Daddy loves you, baby." he told her, kissing her forehead. I watched as she placed her tiny hands on his cheeks and puckered her lips and tried her darned best to give him a kiss.

"Oh my God!" I mumbled, pulling out my phone, attempting to get a picture of this extremely cute moment.

"Learning so much." he laughed, kissing her again.

I looked at them, smiling. "She's just so-" I started, my attention being diverted from the two to the TV. It was a advertisement for breaking coverage for the evening news. Two twenty year old strippers was found beaten in a ditch outside of Baltimore. They had their attacker in custody, but no names were released. I pursed my lips, feeling my insides flop. "Alex.."

"We don't know yet baby." he put his arm around me. "Probably isn't anyone we know."

"I hope you're right." I swallowed the lump in my throat.

He kissed my lips and rested his forehead against mine. "Are you ready go get this over with?"

"Sure." I put on a smile for him. He turned the TV off and stood up, making noises to make Madalynn giggle. I shook my head and followed him to the door.

"What car should we take?"

"Lets take my car. It hasn't been driven in forever."

"Okay." he said, picking up the keys to the Cadillac. "You wanna drive?"

"Wow, you're actually asking me this?" I giggled, taking the key from him. We walked to the car and took Madi's car seat from his car, putting it into mine. He strapped her in as I got into the driver's side, making sure everything was to my liking before we left. He got in and buckled up, giving me a smirk.

"Don't crash us, love."

"I'm not a bad driver!" I rolled my eyes, putting the car into reverse. I watched in all directions as I backed from our driveway, then zoomed up the street.

"So far so good." he chuckled. "Watch out!" he said loudly, startling me. I slammed on the brakes and stopped in the middle of the road.

"Alexander William Gaskarth, you asshole!" I slapped his arm, making him laugh even more. "I'm going to make your ass walk there."

"Fine, I'll be good." he said, still snickering.

"Jackass." I shook my head, keeping my eyes on the road.

I drove us to his parents' house with no more distractions. He actually stayed quiet and allowed me to keep all my attention on driving. "We're here!" he turned to Madalynn. She sat in her car seat, sucking on her pacifier.

"Who's here already?" I asked, looking at all the cars in the Gaskarth's driveway.

"Lets see here. Grandma and Alan, aunt Lydia and uncle Joey, Jason and Rachel, uncle Will and aunt Heather, and my aunt Caroline and probably Mr. Dickfucker Cody."

"Dickfucker?" I said, bursting into laughter. "Alex, what the fuck?"

"I can't cuss. Leave me alone! And I'm not sure who's Range Rover that is." he raised a eyebrow. "Oh well, fuck it. Lets go inside."

"Okay." I nodded, getting out of the car. He took Madalynn out of her car seat and held her against his chest with one arm and took my hand in his available one. We walked to the front door and went inside. Alex carefully watched his surroundings, silently hoping for no ambushing attacks from his cousin Jason.

As we expected, the surprise attack happened. Jason sprung from the staircase at Alex. Alex put his arm out to protect Madalynn from the impact and knocked his cousin to the ground, snickering as he groaned. Madi began to cry in fear. "Fuck, baby. Shh." Alex turned, bouncing her, trying his best to calm her.

"Alex, I am so sorry bro! I had no idea that you two had a baby." Jason apologized as he stood up. "Haley, I am sorry."

"It's okay, Jason." Alex and I both said at the same time.

"Babe, I'm going to take her outside for a moment and calm her down. Go tell my mom." Alex said, kissing my head before walking back through the door.

"Cute kid." Jason laughed, walking towards the living room.

"Thanks." I say, following him. Everybody was in the living room this time, talking.

"Oh Haley, hello! Where's Alex and Madi?" Isobel asked, patting the space between her and Alex's aunt Caroline.

"Hello." I smiled, taking the seat. "He's outside with her."

"I made her cry on accident. I really am sorry guys!" Jason apologized from the other side of the room.

"It's fine."

"Jason, you scare everybody." Peter joked. "Oh Haley, this is Alex's cousin Julia." he pointed to a busty blonde sitting in the corner.

"Hello Haley." she smiled and waved to me, also talking in a British accent. Everybody had a British accent in this family, not counting Alex. It was weird.

"Hi Julia, it's very nice to meet you." I waved back, giving her a smile. My eyes drifted from her to my husband and child who had just entered the room. Madalynn was smiling at Alex and he was smiling back at her.

"Well hello you two." his mom said. "Feeling better now?"

"Oh yeah!" Alex said, kissing Madi's forehead. "Lots and lots."

I scooted over towards Isobel and patted the empty space next to me, encouraging them both to sit. He walked over and sat down on me. Not next to me like any other normal person. But on me. I sighed heavily and hit him in the back. "Alex, you asshole, get off of me."
He turned and flashed me a seductive smile, then scooted off. "I love you too, babe."

"Shut up." I rolled my eyes.

"Haley, would you please help me get things ready in the kitchen? It might spare Alexander from getting hit." Isobel laughed, standing up. I nodded and stood up, following her to their kitchen.

Alex's POV:

"So Alex, when did you become a father?" my aunt Caroline asked me, smiling down at Madalynn. She stared up at Caroline with those big brown eyes of hers. "She is absolutely adorable."

"I know." I smiled. "She was born June 14th."

"Didn't your wife graduate June 13th?" James glared at me from the other side of Caroline.

"Yeah she did." I replied bitterly, turning my attention to my daughter. She was now looking up at me, smiling with the same smile I held on my face.

"This story is so sad." my aunt Lydia piped, watching the television. The evening news was on now and they were discussing the crime of the beaten strippers. I listened in, hoping to god they didn't say Isabella Maddox. To my surprise, it was her and Cat. "Holy shit!"

"What's wrong, Alex?"

"Haley's sister.. And her friend. Holy shit!" I gulped. "This is all fucked up."

"When are you going to tell her?" my dad asked.

I bit my lip. I had no idea. I hated telling people bad news. Nor have I ever been good at it. "I don't know, Dad. I don't want to upset her before dinner.. She's already worried over the whole situation. She has a feeling her sister was involved and she was."

"Talk to her son." he said. "I'll take Madi."

"Okay." I nodded, standing up. I handed her to him and kissed her forehead before I walked off. I walked into the kitchen finding Haley alone. She had her back turned to me, making her an easy target to sneak up on. I walked up behind her and wrapped my arms around her waist, feeling her jump.

"Alexander William." she giggled, twisting around in my hold. "Yes, babe?"

"You and I need to talk. Outside, please?"

"Oh.. Okay." she nodded. I took her hand and led her to the back door. We walked out into my parents' large backyard. "What do you need to talk to me about?"

"What we saw on the news earlier.." I quietly said, watching her lose her color.

"Alex, what is it?"

"She was involved. Her and Cat.. They're both in the hospital."

She pursed her lips and nodded acceptingly. "Okay."

Then the shape of her lips turned from it's shape to a frown. Tears rolled down her face and that broke my heart. I wiped them away and pulled her into a tight hug, rubbing my hand up and down her back. "Baby, shh."

"I'm tired of hurting, Alex."

"I know baby, I know." I took a deep breath, kissing her forehead. "She's okay, just calm down."

"Alex, it's fucking terrifying! You know how it feels to worry over your sibiling constantly."

"I know love. Lets go back inside and get this business over with." I wiped her final tears. She nodded and laced her fingers through mine, letting me take her back into the house. Everyone was already seated at the table, waiting on us to come back in.

I made us a plate and got Madalynn a bowl of mashed potatoes, hoping she would eat them. Haley and I sat down and began to eat, me juggling feeding Madi the potatoes. She grew frustrated with me after a while and threw the spoon at me. "Madalynn Renae."

I groaned, picking up the spoon. She grinned at me and giggled, following another giggle coming from Haley. "Be nice to Daddy, baby." she smiled.

"Dada!" Madi piped, causing me to choke on a piece of turkey. "Dada!" she piped again, smiling at me.

"Baby!" I grinned, turning to Haley. I saw a smile spread wide over her face, then a tear sliding down her cheek. I reached over and wiped it off, then looked around the room, seeing smiles on everyone's faces. "Jesus Christ. Say Mama now, Mad."

"Mmm!"

"Mama." I said slowly, hoping she'd get it now.

"Mooma!" she piped, grinning at Haley and I.

"Close enough, lovey." I laughed, turning my attention to my wife, who was now in tears. "It's alright, love." I laughed again, patting her back.

Haley smiled and laced her fingers through mine. "Alex, I'm just so happy." she smiled.

"I am too."

"So Alex," my mom started to talk, "what's your big touring plans now?"

We went from one thing to another. "Well Mom, we're heading off here in a few days for a tour on the west coast. Then we'll be off for a few days, then we're all taking a trip to Vegas, then we have a tour across the pond coming up in November!" I excitedly said.

"Oh my, Alexander! The UK?"

"Yes ma'am." I nodded, looking at Haley, seeing she was blankly looking at me. I never did discuss that with her. I sighed and pursed my lips, starting to feel a little guilty for it. I didn't want to leave her or Madalynn behind with no contact. I brushed off the thought for now, and kept eating.

Madalynn soon became shy again and didn't want to speak. She stayed quiet in the high chair and blew spit bubbles and banged her pacifier against the table. The dinner went fairly well with no insults thrown between James and the family. All was actually well. Everyone finished eating and put our plates up, then Haley and I attempted to clean up Madalynn, who was covered in mashed potatoes.

"How the hell did you get it in your hair, baby?" Haley giggled, wiping Madi's face. "Daddy should know it benefits more in your mouth than your hair."

"That's what he said." I smirked, wrapping my arms around her.

"Ugh, pervert."

"Thanks, love."

She rolled her eyes and unwound my arms from her waist. She walked back into the kitchen area to put away the rag. Madi wiggled her small fingers at me, telling me that she wanted out of the high chair. I picked her up and held her, placing a kiss on her head. She tiredly sighed and laid her head on my shoulder.

I walked into the living room and sat down with all the other guys of my family, who were watching a Ravens game on TV. I patted Madi's back, trying to caress her off to sleep since it was almost bedtime.

"So Alex, are you enjoying being a father?" Jason asked me, smirking and rubbing the back of his daughter that was just a few months older than Madi.

"It's had its ups and its downs." I shrugged, thinking of the terrible memories of when Haley left me, leaving me with Madalynn myself. I really did kick myself in the ass for letting her leave like that. But it doesn't matter, she's mine again.

"It's crazy. The worst part is being the one who's hair gets constantly pulled." he sighed, flipping his black hair out of his face.

"Tell me about it. I get mine yanked and Haley gets nothing. And she throws things at me and not Haley."

"Daddy's girl, I guess?"

"Probably," I laughed, "whenever she was born, Haley fainted and then was out of it for about a couple hours. I got to spend it with her. But when Haley woke up and I handed Madi to her, she screamed and cried. I didn't think babies could get that loud.. shit."

"At least Madi is quiet.. Unlike Jenny here." he snorted. "She cries and screams so much. I thought my ear drums busted a few times before."

"Damn, intense! Madalynn is quiet. I sometimes don't realize she's here."

"You're such a lovely father."

"I know, but you know what I mean!" I shook my head, feeling my phone start to vibrate in my pocket. Jack was calling. What could he possibly want? "Hold up Jase," I said, answering the call. "what do you want jerkoff?"

"Hey baby, you still comin' Friday?" he laughed into the phone.

I stared blankly at the ceiling, trying to remember what the fuck we had planned Friday. "Friday?"

"You remember our plan?"

"The party? Oh!"

He sighed. "Yes bro, you should start listening."

"I do listen, you just fucking bore me to death." I laughed.

"Oh thanks, love you too assface."

"But yeah, we're coming." I said, looking up to see Haley walk into the room.

"Good, well I'll see ya." he said, hanging up.

"Hello, love!" I greeted her.

"Are you ready to go?" she quietly asked, looking down at her feet, like she was embarrassed by something.

"Sure." I nodded, looking around at everyone else. "We're gonna go. I'll see you all again soon."

"Bye guys." everyone said in unison. I stood up and carefully walked to the door, not trying to be shaky to wake Madi.

"You want me to drive back?" I asked her, pulling open the back door to put Madalynn in her car seat.

"Yes please." she said, tossing me the keys. I quickly strapped her in and shut the door, then got into the driver's seat.

"Are you alright? You look uncomfortable about something, love."

"I'm fucking cramping like a motherfucker!" she sighed heavily, covering her face with her hands. I smirked to keep from laughing at her. I always found it humorous when her monthly hit, and she knew it. "You're such an asshole."

"What?" I let my laughter out.

"You're laughing at me and it's not funny." she whined.

"I'm sorry, love."

"You have no idea how terrible it is! You ache, you want to tear the fucking world apart, you're exhausted, you have little patience for anything. Not to mention the blood!"

I listened to her rant on about it all the way home. I nodded and occasionally said 'mhm' to tell her I was listening.. Somewhat anyway. I pulled the car into the driveway and got myself and Madi out of the car. It was already a little past eight thirty P.M. Haley disappeared somewhere in the house, and I took Madi upstairs for bed.

I tried to change her into a new diaper and pajamas without waking her up, but I failed. She whined and kicked me. "Ah! Baby, quit! Can't we be civil?" she slapped my hand away as I tried to button her pajamas up. "Stop it! I'm trying the best I can!" I shook my head, picking her up. I bounced her, trying my damned best to get her to calm down.

After five minutes of rocking her and singing parts of Teenage Dirtbag to her, she finally calmed down. I sat in the rocking chair with her now, holding her in my lap. She laid there and played with her hair, something she picked up from me that I happen to do when I'm tired, and stared at the glow in the dark stars I had put on the ceiling. Her big brown eyes changed from the ceiling to me and she reached up, placing her tiny hand on my cheek. "Dada?" she quietly said.

I couldn't help but smile. "Yes, baby." I nodded, then kissed her forehead. "Daddy loves you."

I continued to rock her until her eyes grew extremely heavy. Once I knew she was fast asleep, I got up from the rocking chair and placed her delicately in her crib. I dimmed the light and left the room, walking down the dark hallway to our bedroom. I found Haley sitting on the bed, pulling her hair up. "Hi," she said, looking up at me with a smile. "is she asleep?"

"Yeah." I nodded, unbuttoning my shirt. I quickly stripped down to my boxers and crawled into the bed with her.

"I came in but you two were having a daddy-baby moment." she giggled, latching herself onto me. "We barely did anything today and I am exhausted."

"Tell me about it." I yawned.

"Can we just stay home for the next few days?"

"We can tomorrow and Thursday. We have plans Friday night, love."

"What are we doing?"

"You'll see." I smirked. "Then Saturday, we leave."

"I'm going to miss you." she sighed, resting her head on my chest.

"Come with us." I suggested.

"Why? You'd only get sick of us." she giggled, then stopped when she realized I didn't find it funny.

"I love you, okay? I don't ever get sick of you two. It keeps me sane."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah." she rolled her eyes. I took a deep breath and stayed silent. Minutes passed and we were still in dead silence. "Hey Alex?" she said, breaking it.

"Yeah, love?" I raised my eyebrows at her.

"I wanna change my hair color."

"To what, exactly?" I snorted. "Don't go off the wall like Kay does."

"I was thinking natural blonde." she stuck her tongue out at me.

"That doesn't sound completely terrible."

"Thanks."

"Hey, you're welcome!" I laughed, kissing her head. "But I do like your brown hair."

"I do too, but I want change."

"Ah, I see." I nodded. "I want another tattoo."

"Of what?" she asked me.

"I don't know yet, honestly."

"I'd like to have another one, but I have no clue either." she giggled.

"We'll get another at the same time, alright?" I smiled. "I love you."

"I love you too, Lexy." she smiled, moving her lips to mine.

"Eh, my name is Alex, not Lexy."

"Whatever Lexy."

"Goodnight." I smirked, reaching for the covers.

"But Lexy." she smiled and bit her lip.

"You're overusing it now, baby." I rolled my eyes. "I love you, now goodnight."

"We've turned into the married couple with a baby who go to bed at nine thirty every night now." she laughed. "I feel old."

"You feel old? You just turned nineteen love. I'm fixing to turn twenty." I laughed.

"So?"

"So?" I mocked her, giving her a devilish grin.

"Oh Alex! Guess what!" she said excitedly.

"What, baby?"

"I think I know what I want to major in if I go to college."

"And that is?"

"I think I wanna be a teacher."

"That's great, baby." I smiled. "A teacher married to a rockstar. I wonder if people would buy that. What kind of teacher?"

"They better." she giggled. "I think Kindergarten."

"You have the patience?" I raised my eyebrows. "I figured first or second grade."

"I put up with you, don't I?"

"Touché." I narrowed my eyes at her. "Can I go to bed now?"

"Yes." she said, rolling over to turn the lamp off. She returned to my side and laid her head on my shoulder and rested her hand on my chest. "Night, Alex."

"Night, baby." I said, then shut my eyes. I was totally out of it.
♠ ♠ ♠
So hey guys! Sorry I've dropped off the face of the earth.. I've been busy with going back to school and I've had major writer's block. (FML) but, I got it. :)
Comment & Subscribe.