‹ Prequel: A Lot of Potential
Sequel: You Are My Only One

Show My Cards, Gave You My Heart

Deer In Headlights

I heard a melodic sound being played. I opened my eyes to my husband strumming notes on his guitar. He played something I had never heard before. I also saw he had a notebook laid on his lap. He was apparently writing a new song and I didn't want to break his train of thought.

I quietly took a deep breath and switched laying positions. He stopped playing and turned to me, giving me a warm smile. "Morning sunshine."

"Morning." I croaked.

"It's rainy outside, so we're trapped in the room." he gave me his puppy dog face. "I didn't think it rained in Hawaii but I Googled it and it rains all the fucking time over here!"

"Really?" I giggled, setting up. "How's my face look?"

"Pretty as always."

"Alex, I meant the swelling."

"It's perfectly fine now, baby." he smiled, leaning over to kiss my forehead.

"Really?!" I gasped, jumping out of the bed. I ran to the nearest mirror and examined my face, sighing in relief that it was down to normal. "Thank you God!" Alex snickered and began to strum more notes on his guitar. A moment later, my good mood was bashed. I grew cramping in my stomach and I sighed, knowing what was waiting for me. I walked to my bag, getting down on my hands and knees, to search for some tampons. After I rummaged through the whole bag, I found I had none. "Motherfucker!"

"What?" Alex stopped playing. He looked at me in concern.

"I didn't bring any tampons with me."

"Good to know!" he said, giving me a thumbs up.

"Asshole." I rolled my eyes. Jack and Kay walked into the room, laughing about something. "Hey Kay?"

"Yea?" she smiled at me.

"Can I talk to you really quickly?" I asked her, nodding towards the bathroom.

She nodded and walked with me into the room, shutting the door behind us. "What's up?"

"Would you happen to have any tampons with you?" I rolled my eyes. "I forgot to get some before I left."

"Okay." she giggled, picking up her makeup bag from the bathroom counter. She dug through it, pulling one out. She then froze, staring blankly at it. "Shit Haley! I'm late!" she threw it at me and ran her fingers through her hair. "Fuck, fuck, fuck! Come with me to get a test, please?"

I gulped and nodded, quickly getting myself together. I took care of my personal problems and dressed in short shorts and a tank top. "Alex?" I walked through the room, finding him sprawled out on the bed.

"Yeah, love?" he sat up on his elbows, tiredly looking at me. "What's up?"

I looked around the room, seeing Jack was now gone. "Where's Jack?"

"He went down to Rian and Zack's room. Why?"

"I'm gonna go out with Kay to get a few things." I said, looking around me to see if she was around. I moved closer to him before I spoke, "Please come?"

"I don't wanna be left alone by myself or be forced to hang with idiots. I shall, baby." he smiled, getting up from the bed. He slipped on his shoes and put on one of his hoodies, giving me the other.

"Are you ready?" Kay hurriedly asked, stopping in front of the door.

"Alex is going to come with us." I said, linking my fingers through his.

She nodded and took off. We followed her down into the lobby and out the large glass doors. I pulled my hood over my head and held tightly onto Alex's arm as we walked through the pouring rain. The store was just across the street, so we didn't end up soaked. "What the hell are we here for anyway?" Alex mumbled in my ear.

"Tampons." I giggled at the sight of his reaction. "And Kay needed-"

"Needed what?"

I bit my lip and cupped my hands around his ear like I was telling him a deep, dark, secret. "She needs a pregnancy test. I brought it to her attention that she was late I guess whenever I asked to borrow a tampon." I said in a low, hush hush voice.

He nodded and wrapped his arm around me. "Okay. So I guess I need to keep this from Jack, huh?" he sarcastically said.

"Yep, you know the drill, Alexander." I smiled at him, pulling on his hand. I led him to the isle with all the lovely choices of monthly women products.

"You just love to embarrass me, huh?"

"Oh yeah!"

"Psh, bitch."

"Suck a dick." I told him, picking up a package off of the shelf. "Now go buy yourself some gummy bears or something to make yourself look cool."

"Oh I will!" he stuck his tongue at me, pulling me towards the candy isle. He gave me a mischievous smirk as he picked up a package of gummy bears. "Now I am happy."

"You better share."

"No. Fuck off." he laughed, holding them protectively across his chest. The playful smile wiped off his face when an angry Kaylyn showed up in front of us.

"Are you two done?" she angrily sighed.

"Mhm. I am. Alex, do you have everything you need?" I looked up at him.

"Yeah." he nodded, lacing his fingers through mine again. We paid for our items and went back out into the pouring rain. Kay nearly ran back to the room, leaving Alex and I behind in her dust. Alex led me cautiously through the traffic of the street in front of the hotel.

We went back into the room, finding that Kay had already made a quick getaway to the bathroom. I sat down on the bed and removed my wet hoodie and shoes. Alex laid against the headboard and ate on the gummy bears he bought, keeping his eyes onto the TV. I shivered and cuddled up next to him. Automatically, one of his arms curled around me, pressing me tighter against his body.

Without warning, his soft lips pressed against mine. I giggled and ran my fingers through his hair. "I love you Alex."

"I love you too, baby." he smirked, gently kissing me again. He pulled me on top of him, letting me sit to face him. I couldn't resist the urge to kiss him again by the way he was looking at me. I kissed a path from his jaw to his neck, stopping there to find that place that drove him insane. He groaned into a kiss on my shoulder.

He reached for the bottom of my tank top and lifted it over my head, tossing it onto the bed next to us. In return, I pulled at the bottom of his shirt. Doing what I wanted, he sat up and took it off, throwing it next to mine. His hands traveled all around my body and he had managed to get the button of my shorts undid.

Before I told him that he wasn't going to get laid, I kissed down his stomach, tugging at the band of his boxers that showed above the waistline of his jeans with my teeth. I giggled and laid down on top of him again, kissing him softly. "Too bad for you."

"What?" he sat up, kissing me angrily.

"Alex," I softly moaned as he sucked on my lip. "stop."

"Why?" he looked at me like a sad puppy.

"Period."

"Cockblock!" he poked me in the lower stomach. "Why-"

I cut him off with another kiss and a mischievous smile. "It's not like you haven't had sex in awhile. Think about how many times we have while we've been on this tour."

"Six, last night." he smirked.

"Ew." I heard a voice come from the other side of the room. I quickly turned my head to see Jack entering the room.

Then the bathroom door flung open. "Guys, I'm pregnant!" Kay cheered with tears of joy running down her face. "Oh, hi Jack.."

"You can't say that on an airplane." he grinned, taking his wife up into a hug. "I'm so happy!"

I had honestly forgotten about the both of them. I was too caught up in my own little world with Alex, they didn't even exist. I put my tank top on and buttoned my shorts back up before I resided at Alex's warm side again. We stayed quiet and watched the celebration between Jack and Kay take place.
____________________________________________

I stood on Jack's side of the stage, watching the boys preform their set. Right now they were in the middle of playing Poppin' Champagne. The crowd reaction was great. Everyone was jumping, dancing, screaming, and singing along. Occasionally, Alex or Jack would look over at us to make sure Kay and I were singing their songs.

"Sing it with me! I know, I know, I know that there's a place for me somewhere out there. Louder!" Alex sang, pointing out into the crowd. "I know, I know, I know that there's a place for me somewhere.. Get your feet off the fucking ground!"

"Come on Haley!" Kay shouted, scaring me out of my skin as she yanked me off onto the tiny stage. I stared at Alex for help and he smirked, mouthing 'jump' to me. I did what I was told, jumping to the beat of Rian's drums.

"Why don't you say so? I think I'm caught in between. The nights and days fly by when I'm lost! And my eyes, they despise you for who I am. Why don't you say so?"

"Why don't you say so?!
the crowd chanted back.

"Give up and let go, I'm just a boy with a dream. And you can take one look as I fall in between. My eyes, just as wide as my mouth can be." Alex sang into his mic, aiding his band members to bring the song to close.

I quickly walked off the stage with Kay, watching the boys catch their breath and get drinks of water. "Everybody give it up for our beautiful back up dancers!" Jack childishly said, pointing at Kay and I.

"Haley was confused at first." Alex laughed, winking at me. I flipped him the finger and watched him fake a hurt expression. "Love you too, babe." he rolled his eyes.

"No, Alex! Her name isn't Haley now. It's duck!" Jack snickered.

I gave Jack a death glare. "Ooh, Jack she's gonna kill you. Does anybody know how to play our songs? She's gonna kill him and we're gonna need a new guitar player!"

"Why is her name duck, Jack?" Zack quietly spoke into his microphone.

"Okay! This asshole fed my wife brownies with nuts in them when she's allergic. She asked before she ate them and he told her that they didn't. Then after she started to react to them, he said that they did. He misunderstood her somehow and said that there wasn't." Alex shook his head, walking over to slap Jack in the back of the head.

"And that's how Haley is known as duck."

I felt someone nudge me. I looked up, seeing their guitar tech Danny holding out a mic to me. "Go out there and put them in their places." he yelled in my ear. I nodded and took it from him, walking off onto the tiny stage again. On my way to the center to where Alex was, I slapped Jack on the back of the head.

"Ow! Bitch!" he frowned, rubbing the back of his head.

I also slapped Alex on the back of the head. "Hey! I've been nice!" he laughed, moving away from me.

"You both are assholes." I giggled, slapping his arm. "Jack, you're bigger asshole."

"But you love us, Duck!" he chirped.

"Shut up."

"No!"

"Okay, enough harassing my wife." Alex laughed. I rolled my eyes and started my retreat back to my spot at the side of the stage. Alex grabbed my arm, spinning me back around to face him. "Sing Remembering Sunday with me."

"Are you insane?" I shook my head. "No."

"You have a beautiful voice, Haley. Sing!"

"No!"

"Can I get a chant going?" he turned to his crowd. "Haley! Haley! Haley! Haley! Haley!"

The crowd chanted my name over and over. I bit my lip and glared at him. "Fine."

"Alright!" he smiled. Danny walked out, trading him guitars. "We're gonna slow it down a little bit and the beautiful Haley Gaskarth is going to sing with me."

"Yay." I sarcastically said.

He smirked and picked a few strings on his guitar. "This song is called Remembering Sunday." he said, strumming the melody of the song. " He woke up from dreaming and put on his shoes, started making his way. Past two in the morning, he hasn't been sober for days. Leaning now, into the breeze. Remembering Sunday, he falls to his knees. They had breakfast together, but two eggs don't last like the feeling of what he needs." he sang, occasionally looking up at me with his chocolate brown eyes. I was now suffering from stage fright.

"Now this place seems familiar to him. She pulled on his hand with a devilish grin. She led him upstairs, she led him upstairs, left him dying to get in. Forgive me I'm trying to find my calling, I'm calling at night. I don't mean to be a bother but have you seen this girl? She's been running through my dreams, and it's driving me crazy it seems. I'm gonna ask her to marry me." he grinned. "Even though she doesn't believe in love, he's determined to call her bluff. Who could deny these butterflies? They're filling his gut. Waking the neighbors, unfamiliar faces. He pleads, though he tries, but he's only denied. Now he's dying to get inside.

"Forgive me I'm trying to find, my calling, I'm calling at night. I don't mean to be a bother, but have you seen this girl? She's been running through my dreams, and it's driving me crazy it seems. I'm gonna ask her to marry me.
" the crowd began to cheer, making my heart pound in my chest. I knew it was getting closer to my part now. "The neighbors said she moved away, funny how it rained all day. I didn't think much of it then, but it's starting to all make sense. Oh, I can see now that all of these clouds are following me in my desperate endeavor to find my whoever, wherever she may be."

I took a deep breath and blocked everyone out, pretending that Alex was the only one here with me. "I'm not coming back, I've done something so terrible. I'm terrified to speak but you'd expect that from me. I'm mixed up, I'll be blunt, now the rain is washing you out of my hair and out of my mind. I'm keeping an eye on the world from so many thousands of feet off the ground. I'm over you now, I'm at home in the clouds. Towering over your head."

"I guess I'll go home now. I guess I'll go home now. I guess I'll go home now. I guess I'll go home." he stopped, flashing me a brilliant smile. "That was beautiful. Everybody give it up for the gorgeous Haley!" he pulled me into a tight hug. I pushed him away and shook my head.

"You're sweaty. That's gross." I giggled, turning on my heel to run away. I handed the microphone to Danny and sat down on top of the speakers at the edge of the stage. They picked up with Coffeeshop Soundtrack and continued with their closer, Dear Maria.

After they walked off of stage, Alex grabbed my hand and led me to the backstage area. "You were amazing baby!"

"I didn't know Haley could sing like that, Alex!" Zack passed, patting my shoulder as he did.

"I've got the shower first, ass-hat!" Alex yelled at him.

"Damn Haley!" Brooklyn giggled, taking me up in a hug. "I had no idea that you could sing!"

"I never really sing in front of people." I shrugged.

"You should! You're amazing!"

"I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade or anything, but where's Kay?" Jack said, coming through a door.

"I thought she was still here." Brooklyn said, looking around. "Is she at the bar?"

"I already checked there and I had someone check the bathroom for me. She's not anywhere to be found and it's starting to freak me out." he bit his lip.

"Did you call her?" Alex asked.

"I tried, but it went to voice mail."

"I'll try now." I said, pulling out my phone. I walked away from the boys so I could hear. It rang and rang.

"Hey!" I heard her perky voice.

"Kay!"

"This is Kaylyn, I can't come to the phone right now. Leave me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!"

"Fuck!" I hung up, tossing it back into my pocket. I walked back over to them and looked down at my feet.

"Nothing?!" Jack shook. He was now on the verge of having a panic attack. "I'm calling Dee."

"I'm gonna go shower baby. Help Jack look for her, okay?" Alex said, looking me straight in the eyes. He kissed my forehead then my lips. "I love you."

"I love you too." I replied, watching him walk away.

"What?!" I heard Jack yell into his phone. "What about the twins?! Tell me they're okay?" he paused to listen to Kaylyn's brother. "Oh thank God. Look, I'm coming back to Baltimore. I'll be there as soon as I can." he hung up.

"Jack, is everything okay?" Brooklyn asked before I got the chance to.

"Just fucking peachy." he rolled his eyes. "Kay's mom died in a fire. She had the boys, but luckily they were away with Dylan and Jenna. Kay's back on her way to Baltimore. I'm gonna talk to Matt to see if we can leave tonight and not tomorrow." he said, walking away quickly.

This bad situation killed me. Her losing her mom automatically brought my dad to my mind. Oh how I missed him.. And the food he made, and the bad jokes. How I wish he was here to see the lovely baby Alex and I brought into the world. I just wished he was still alive..

I sighed and made my way to the shower area, finding Zack chilling outside the door. "Did you guys find out where Kay was?"

"Yeah, she's on her way back to Baltimore. Something tragic happened." I nodded, trying to refrain myself from crying. "Alex is still in, right?"

"Yep, waiting for his slow ass to get out!"

I nodded and turned the door knob, letting myself in the room. It was tiny. It looked to only be able to fit one. "Zack, I'm hurrying!" I heard Alex laugh from the shower.

"It's not Zack, it's me." I quietly said, pushing myself up onto the sink.

"Oh." he said. "Is everything alright?"

"No, Alex. Things aren't. Kay is on her way back to Baltimore."

"For what?!"

"Her mom.. she passed away in a fire." I bit my lip. "The boys were with Dylan and Jenna."

"Oh god.." he said, shutting off the water. He came from behind the curtain with a towel wrapped around his waist. "Baby, are you okay?" he examined me.

I was too quiet for my own self. I probably looked upset, perhaps, but I couldn't see myself. I nodded and looked at my hands, seeing that they were shaking. "I'm fine."

"Haley Noel, I know when you're lying to me." he frowned and wrapped both of his arms around me. "Baby, you can tell me what's on your mind."

"This whole situation kills me."

"What about it, love?"

"Her losing her mom.. The one who raised her. I can't help but think about my dad.. How he raised me for the seventeen years." I quietly said, breaking down into small sobs. I hid my face into his neck and cried, letting him console me.

"I know baby, I know." he whispered in my ear, kissing my cheek. "I know you're upset, but we can't be long." he wiped away the remaining tears on my cheeks.

"I know, I'm sorry." I nodded.

I refrained myself and stayed quiet, letting him dress himself. Once he was dressed, he picked me up, carrying me on his back. I held my arms tightly around his neck and shoulders so I didn't fall.

We found the rest of the group in the places where we left them. "Alex, bro." Jack said, walking up to him. "Go back to the room and get your shit together. We've got a plane to catch at 1:30."

Alex took a deep breath and let me down to my feet. He grabbed my hand and pulled me off to the door. "Come on love, we have a plane to catch."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi. I had a snow day today, so I wrote this up! :) I love Oklahoma weather.. <3 I really love the new background, yes? It's rather cute and I found it pretty relevant.. Lol.
Comment & Subscribe.