Impulse

four

*Em has started a BBM chat

Em - Taylor, do you want to pick me up some tampons when you head home?

Hallsy - Ugh. Sure thing, babe.

Em - You're the best.

ilovetheoilerstaylor#4 - You do realize you two aren't alone?

Hallsy - Ebs...is that you?

ilovetheoilerstaylorhall#4 - Dammit. Maddie messed with my phone again.

Em - I knew we kept her for a reason. Where is she, by the way?

JEbs - Fixed it. And she had to work till three.

Hallsy - It's almost four...

JEbs - Oh. Then idk.

Em - I'll find her.

*MadDog has entered the chat

Em - Coordinates. STAT!

MadDog - Eh?

Hallsy - First Canadian thing I've heard her say...

JEbs - That's my girl. <3

Em - Cute, Jordan. Ask your girl where the hell she is.

JEbs - Maddie, you heard the woman.

MadDog - Home. I had to catch up on Keeping up With The Kardashians...

Hallsy - And there she blows it...

Em - Well get your Un-Canadian ass over here. We got a game to get ready for!

MadDog - OH YEAH!

Em - And Taylor!! Hurry up with my tampons!

JEbs - Someone's hormonal...

Em - Don't even go there with me, Ebs.

Hallsy - I'm trying, babe. Gotta stop by the phone place quick. You coming, Ebs?

JEbs - On my way.

MadDog - The phone place is a strange venue for a man date...

Em - Yeah...what exactly's going on here?

JEbs - Me and Hallsy are getting iPhones.

Em - NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

MadDog - ...the fuck you two smokin'?

Em - My God. Where can I buy my boyfriend a brain??

JEbs - I think they have an app for that...

Hallsy - Just got to the store. I think I see your car around the corner, Ebs.

MadDog - Of course you do. It's the one with the giant 'I <3 Taylor Hall' sticker on the side.

JEbs - You're killing me, Maddie. You're really killing me.

MadDog - :)

Hallsy - Alright, I'm going in. Talk to you two later!

JEbs - But never again on BBM...

Em - Clam it, Ebs.

JEbs - You know you love me, Em. And see you tonight, Maddie!

MadDog - I'll be the girl reppin' #14. :)

JEbs - Damn straight!

Hallsy - Emma, will you do the honours of being my #4?

Em - Babe, you better start kissing ass now if you want that to happen.

Hallsy - Oh, you know I will. ;)

JEbs - GROSS!!

MadDog - TMI, guys. TMI.

Hallsy - Later, girls!

*Hallsy has left the chat.

JEbs - Ta Ta!

*JEbs has left the chat.

MadDog - Does this mean you're getting an iPhone, too?

Em - God I hope not. The day I give up my Blackberry is the day I die.

MadDog - 'Atta girl! I'm on my way over. See you in a few!

Em - Bring tissues. I'm in mourning.

MadDog - Already grabbed them.

*MadDog has left the chat.

*Em has ended the chat.

*
I settled down on the couch, a Jersey Shore marathon on the television. I groaned as a knock came from the front door, but jumped off the couch nonetheless.

“Get in here, we only have an hour!” I ushered in my brunette friend, and directly led her to the bedroom. I tugged open my closet doors, and watched as her jaw dropped in amazement, and she took a timid step inside, letting some of the fabrics run over her fingers, grinning like an idiot. I gave a little laugh, before diving into my mess of clothes for the perfect outfit. I smiled as my fingers landed on my favourite pair of white skinny jeans. I tugged them gently off the hanger, before going back beside my bed to change into them.

“Where’d you get so many clothes?” Madelyne asked, still baffled over how I managed to snag the biggest closet in the entire apartment. I let out a giggle, and tugged the zipper up my jeans, loving the way I felt completely comfortable in them.

“What shirt would look good with these pants?” I asked, tugging off the tank top I was currently wearing, and started going through my closet with my Victoria’s Secret push-up bra on. I was biting the hell out of my bottom lip, but spun around when a gasp left Maddie’s mouth.

“This. This would be perfect.” She all but put the shirt on me herself, grinning proudly at the Batman t-shirt I had used for Halloween four years ago. I looked down at myself, then in the full-length mirror, and smiled proudly. I grabbed the pair of purple Vaider’s Taylor had bought me during the summer.

“Should I put on a necklace?” I asked, toying with the collar of my shirt. She raised her eyebrows at me, throwing me an excited smile, and I just pointed a finger at the back of the closet, where a huge jewelry chest was placed on a fairly large vanity.

“Um, definitely this one, it matches the shirt, and just pulled the outfit together.” She claimed, pulling out a random necklace I forgot I had, before moving over to my ring collection. “What is this?” She asked, looking at over forty rings I have collected over the years.

“I am kind of obsessed with corny rings…” I admitted, touching the silver band I always wore on my left hand, fourth finger. I love you was etched across it and Taylor had spotted it at a Flea Market in Naples, Florida when we went for a vacation there during March Break of Grade 12.

“Oh god… Can you please wear this?” She begged, pulling out a keyhole ring I had purchased a few weeks ago. I slid it on my middle finger on my right hand, and entered the bathroom, plugging in my flat iron as I waited for her to pick out her outfit.

---

Eventually, I’d had my fun in Emma’s closet and emerged wearing a pair of dark wash skinnies and black-and-white striped tee.

“You’ve seriously got a little slice of heaven in there,” I told Emma as I entered the bathroom and set my make-up bag on the counter. She just grinned at me through the mirror as she pulled the straightened through her cherry-red locks.

I pinched the mascara wand between my thumb and index finger, lightly dragging it over my lashes without blinking. After years of wearing contact, I had almost no sensitivity around my eyes. It took me about five minutes tops to finish, since all I really had to do was a few touch ups. Emma was still working on her hair, so I sat down on the toilet and waited patiently.

“You’re going to be hooked after tonight,” Emma said as she moved to her bangs. “Hockey’s got to be one of the most addicting games in the world.”

I smiled at the excitement in her voice. From what I’d gathered, she’d been going to Taylor’s games all of her life. And if she was still excited to go to them today, then I had no doubt I’d like it too. “I sure hope so,” I answered, letting my eyes drop to floor. Anxiously, I bit my lip. “I think I’m really starting to like Jordan.

“You better be,” Emma laughed, “I’ve never seen him this, well…into a girl before.”

“Really?” I questioned. Him and I both, minus the ‘girl’ part.

“Yeah, I mean he’s had girlfriends before. But he never really took them seriously.” She huffed out a breath and looked at herself in the mirror. “We’re a really tight knit group, so it’s always been hard for us to let other people in easily. And I get really sick being the only girl sometimes, so it’s really nice having you around.”

I just smiled, unsure how to respond to something like that. I was overwhelmed - I’d never really had a close group of friends before. Sure, I had people I liked to hang out with - mostly guys - but still. Emma had gone back to her hair, so I let my eyes wander a little more, catching onto a little box on the floor next to the toilet.

“Hey,” I tried to say casually, even though I was slightly confused, “I thought you needed Taylor to get your more tampons-”

I stopped when I saw Emma freeze in front of the vanity. For a moment, I thought she was about to let her hair fry, but slowly - finally - she set the straightener on the counter. “Please don’t tell anyone,” she said, so quiet that I wasn’t sure she had spoken at first.

“What do you mean?” I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

I watched her expression remain blank through the mirror. “I’m late.”

At first, I stupidly thought she meant the game. But then, as two-and-two began to connect, things suddenly became blatantly clear. “Oh my God.” I sat back, feeling my stomach drop uncomfortably. “But then why did you ask Taylor to-”

“-I didn’t want him to suspect anything,” she interrupted, turning towards me and leaning back against the counter, her arms crossed tightly over her chest. “I mean, he knows when I get my period. And if he think’s I didn’t get it, I just-” She let out a slow breath. “I don’t know if anything’s for sure yet. I just don’t want to burden him with this.”

I gulped back the growing lump in my throat. “How late?” I asked finally, forcing myself to look her in the eye.

She met my gaze. “Two months.”

*

Neither of us had broken the silence after my little confession, but the tension was present. I finished applying my eyeliner, and exited the bathroom, leading Maddie to Jordan’s room. I opened the closet to the bigger bedroom, it’s alright, Taylor and I got the better parking spots, and riffled around for the clothing item she would need.

“Here you go, one game-worn Jordan Eberle jersey.” I chirped happily, trying to diffuse the tension. A small smile came across her face, but once she got the fabric close enough to her nose, the smile disappeared altogether, giving way to a look of disgust.

“Oh sweet baby Jesus, what’s that smell?” Madelyne questioned, holding the jersey as far away from her as possible with one hand, and plugging her nose with the other. I couldn’t help but giggle at her reaction.

“That, my dear, is the lovely smell of hockey. This should cover it up though.” I offered, grabbing a random can of Axe off of Jordan’s dresser, and giving the fabric a lengthy spray.

“Oh, Phoenix. My favourite,” Maddie commented, gratefully accepting the new scent. I grabbed an already-washed jersey out of Taylor’s closet, and led the way out of the apartment and down to the garage.

“Whoa, I’m getting kind of nervous, excited and over-whelmed… All at the same time. Is that normal?” Maddie asked, her eyes wider than normal, trying to absorb everything at once. I laughed as I unlocked my Honda Civic, and pulled out of the building once Maddie had fastened her seat belt.

“That feeling never goes away, no matter how many games you’ve been to.” I answered honestly, grinning at my own butterflies in my stomach. I watched the road as I navigated my way to the arena, stopping only when necessary, but became alert when the familiar sound of a text message sounded throughout the silent car.

“Um, it’s from your mom, do want to reply?” Maddie asked, motioning to the newly turned yellow light up ahead.

“Yeah, just toss me it.” I replied, enjoying the cool breeze coming from my open window. I eased off the gas ever-so slightly as we neared the light, and raised a hand, palm-up, signaling that I was ready for the pass.

“Catch,” Maddie commanded, giving the phone a light toss, aiming for my hand. It was almost as if it was in slow motion, how I barely grazed my palm, before flying out the window and making hard contact with the concrete. I came to a stop at the light, and quickly turned back to catch a glimpse of my battered mobile phone. I felt my eyes start to water, and slammed my head against the steering wheel, causing the horn to blare.

“Fuck my life.”
♠ ♠ ♠
And the terrible duo returns to bring you another update!
Are you guys excited for Maddie's first game?
I know I am!
But then again.. I tend to get happy very easily.
ON THAT NOTE, leaving a comment = a very easy way to make me happy :D
Peace, love and Hallsy <3
You gotta admit he's got a sick flow going on right now!

Comment&&Subscribe <3<3<3<3 !!!