Impulse

nine

I grinned childishly as Taylor pulled my lace as tight as possible, knowing that was the only way I wore my skates. Opting for my mint-condition figure skates versus Jordan’s old hockey skates, which he was expertly fastening onto Maddie’s feet. I slipped on my Vancouver 2012 mitts, and let Taylor lead me to the opening.

I sucked in a quick breath, before stepping onto the ice for the first time in a long time. The way my freshly sharpened blades sunk into the ice reminded me of how I had to stop my skating career after a high-ankle sprain a few years ago. I was nowhere close to being a pro, I merely enjoyed using the ice as a stress-reliever.

“How’s your ankle?” Taylor asked quietly, eyeing my movements warily. I smiled reassuringly at him, and used my grip on his hands to pull myself closer to him. I locked my hands behind his neck , before giving him a peck on the lips, before watching as Maddie and Jordan got onto the ice.

“In the name of the father, the son, the holy – shit I don’t want to die!” Madelyne yelled, before turning and hugging the boards like a life preserver, which in her case, I’m sure it was. Jordan chuckled at his girlfriend, before hopping onto the boards beside her. I felt Taylor squeeze my gloved hand, and I leaned into his chest, just enjoying the feeling of being on the ice.

“Ready, set, go!” And older man yelled at the far end of the rink, and ten little bodies quickly pushed away from the goal line, pushing quickly to the other end. I used my free hand to cover my face as Maddie started freaking out as one of the kids took a small tumble, before getting to his feet and finishing the race. The guys joined me as I clapped, cheering on the eager skaters, before Taylor pulled me to the closest end, Jordan following after giving Maddie a kiss on the cheek.

“Whenever you’re ready babe!” Jordan called, as both guys situated themselves at the line, crouching slightly. I chuckled, before raising my back leg off the ice, using the toe-pick as my resting point.

“One, two, three, GO!” Maddie yelled, covering her face with her bare hands, but cracking her fingers apart so she could still watch.

As the three of us took off, everyone cleared the middle, wanting to see the results of the race. Taylor and Jordan both pulled ahead because of their powerful strides, but with my lack of weight, I quickly caught up, before pushing myself so that we all finished at the same time. I quickly put on the breaks, but landed on my ass before I hit the boards, laughing as Taylor managed a complete stop, but almost ending in the splits, and Jordan just dropped to the ground, sliding roughly into the boards, before confirming he was alright. Applause erupted from the arena, and it didn’t take long for both guys to be recognized.

It was fun while it lasted…

---

By the time the rink began to empty, the insides of my ankles throbbed and I knew this was the most intense workout I’d had since volleyball in high school. My eyes narrowed to slits as I watched the others glide expertly over the deserted ice; I maintained my secure position against the boards.

“How’s your ass?” Jordan asked as he hockey-stopped beside me, spraying snow onto the knit leggings I had tucked into my skates. I quickly brushed it off before it could soak in.

“Pretty sure it’s bruised,” I answered, moving my hands from the boards to his solid waist and holding on for dear life.

“I’ll be the judge of that later,” he said lowly, letting his own hands slide down my back suggestively.

“I’m sure you will,” I laughed, glancing behind him as the last of the skaters left the ice. Taylor and Emma were still over by the blue line flirting. “Isn’t it time to leave?” I asked, pulling one of his hands off my ass to check his watch.

“Yeah,” he answered, “but I talked the rink manager into letting us stay a little later.”

I wrinkled my nose as I smiled up at him. “You and your status,” I giggled, giving his waist a squeeze.

He laughed, leaning down to press a kiss to my forehead as he skated backward away from me. “We’re gonna play a quick game,” he told me, holding out his hand as if daring me to skate forward to grab it. “Wanna play?”

“No,” I answered automatically, keeping my hands firmly on the boards.

He grinned his boyish grin. “Let me rephrase that - the game won’t be even without you.”

I frowned and dug my left skate stubbornly into the ice. “Fine,” I gave in, slowly sliding forward and placing my hand in his.

“You two are team blue; me and Jordan are team red,” Taylor explained at center ice, referring to the colored headbands we wore in place of jerseys. Mine was flattened over my ears while Jordan and pushed his up a bit, making his hair stick up cutely. Taylor’s flow flipped up beneath the blue band of his while Emma’s nearly blended in with her dark red hair. “Crossbar goals only,” he went on before staring pointedly at Emma while he stated his last point, “and no fighting.”

Emma grinned and punched him playfully on the arm before slapping her stick against the ground and taking her spot in the face-off against Taylor. I stood back, using my stick to hold me up as I waited for Emma to fling the puck backward at me.

She won, and surprisingly I stopped it against my stick, waiting for Emma to pick it up with her own before I dared skating forward. She took it and sailed down the ice, narrowly missing Taylor’s attempt at boarding her. I moved unsteady down the other side of the ice, keeping Jordan in my peripheral vision as he followed close behind me.

“Maddie, heads up!” Emma called as she sent the puck flying my way. I kept my stick down as I received it, trying to stay upright as I moved it slowly down the ice.
“WATCH OUT!” I heard both Taylor and Emma shout. I looked up just in time to see Jordan closing in on me, lowering his shoulder as he prepared for impact. I prepared for impact, too, by dropped my stick and throwing my arms over my face.

The impact wasn’t at all painful - Jordan kept his force at a minimum. It was the fall that scared the shit out of me. My arms flailed out in all directions as my skates danced beneath, trying to grip the slippery ice. As my feet gave out and I finally went down, grabbing onto whatever would lessen my fall. My hands latched onto something solid, but not quick enough - I landed on my ass, adding to the nice collection of bruises I no doubt already had.

“IT’S A FULL MOON TONIGHT!” I heard Taylor shout, and cracked an eye open that I had closed when I had fallen. The first thing I saw were my fingers gripped around the waist of Jordan’s jeans - which were gathered down around his skates. I let my eyes go up, snorting back a laugh as I saw the light-blue boxers Jordan was now bearing to the world.

“Sorry,” I giggled as he helped me up. I pulled his pants up with me, securing them back around his waist as he pulled me close to him. His cheeks were a light shade of pink, and it wasn’t from the cold. “Ever heard of a belt?” I joked, quietly so Taylor or Emma couldn’t hear as they skated toward us.

---

By the time we got to the car, I was still laughing. The Edmonton snow fell lightly, which was a blessing in disguise, knowing that soon enough the roads would be murder and it’d be time to walk. I handed Taylor my skates, before climbing into the backseat, knowing the heat hit hardest back here. Maddie slid in beside me, and winced as her sore butt rested on the cushion. I gave her a small smile, before glancing out my window, enjoying the rare silence in the car.

“So…” Taylor started, I watched him smirk through the rear-view mirror. “I was gonna ask boxers or briefs, but I think we know the answer.” He teased, keeping his hands on the wheel firmly, but sneaking a look at Jordan’s bashful smile. I saw Maddie bite her lip, while glancing at the blushing forward, and I decided I needed to step in.

“Thank god it wasn’t that banana hammock you keep in your underwear drawer, eh Tay?” I questioned, causing the entire car to fill with laughter, and for Taylor’s cheeks to undergo some major blood-flow.

“What can I say? All I do is win.” He replied, before humming the cheesy song.

“Please, I could beat you at anything.” Jordan replied, a serious undertone in his joking statement. Maddie and I shared a look, knowing we would both somehow be dragged into this.

“Well you got the day off tomorrow, my shoulder is still fucked, what do you say to an all-nighter?” Taylor challenged, pulling into the parking garage, and we all vacated the car.

“Couple versus couple? First person to fall asleep loses it for the pair?” Jordan asked, to which Taylor nodded, and they quickly sealed the deal with a handshake. I rolled my eyes, but the competitive side of me knew Taylor and I had this in the bag, I mean, Maddie looked tired already.

“You guys are going down.” Madelyne stated, as we entered the apartment. After changing into some booty shorts and an old tank top, I joined everyone else on the couch, as Taylor used the remote to find something to watch.

“Alright, Meerkat Manor, Cats 101, Bears!, or Ned Bruha: Skunk Whisperer.” Taylor asked, causing us all to look at him questioningly. I let out a sigh, before I sniped the remote from his hands, and turned on the Simpson’s.

“I gotta go to the bathroom.” I said after the first episode was done, and rose from the couch, stretching slowly, before making my way down the hall.

“WAIT! How do we know you aren’t gonna try to nap while you are in there?” Jordan asked, to which none of us could answer seriously. “Go with her Maddie, make sure she doesn’t cheat.” He said, before returning to the t.v.

I walked into the bathroom, and sat on the toilet, awkwardly, as Maddie took a seat on the bathtub, and diverted her eyes. I sat for a couple seconds, before realizing that it just wasn’t going to happen with another girl in the room.

“Sorry Em,” Maddie said, referring to her boyfriend, in which I nodded sadly, before washing my hands, and throwing my long, red hair up into a high ponytail.

“Scat happens.” I clarified, before turning to my friend, and surveying her outfit momentarily. “We need to do something to you, because you need to cause a distraction.” I explained, before reaching out, and rolling the band of her yoga pants down, causing some stomach to show. “Do you like that shirt?” I questioned, lightly touching the fabric of the light blue t-shirt she was currently sporting, which hugged her frame perfectly. She shrugged her shoulders, before raising an eyebrow at me, knowing that no words could explain her confusion right now.

I eyed it for a few seconds more, before reaching above the cupboard, and grabbing the scissors I used to occasionally give Taylor a quick hair cut before a game. I pulled on the bateau neckline, and made a clean cut right down the middle. I pulled back, surveying my work, before adding one more snip, causing the fabric to stop right at the center of her bra, showing a great amount of cleavage.

“Work it,” I commanded, before rolling down my own shorts, and tugging my push-up bra so that my boobs looked fantastic, before leading her back to the living room.

“What if this doesn’t work?” She whispered to me, in which I simply laugh, running a hand lightly through her hair and smiling convincingly at her.

“Oh Maddie, I know these boys. I won’t take long for them to stop this childish competition now.” I stated, before sitting on Taylor’s lap, and shifted until I was comfortable, sending me shocked boyfriend a smug smirk.

Let the games being.

---

My skimpy shirt rode up higher as I reached into the "Rainy Day" cupboard, scanning over the dusty stacks of boardgames and comedy DVDs. "Fuck me," I cussed, immediately recoiling from the cupboard as I waved away the deathly smell radiating from it. "-the fuck is this?" I questioned, pulling a green and black container from the furthest corner of it.

"Mom's homemade soup," Jordan answered simply.

"She made it for us the last time she came," Taylor added, looking at me as if it were perfectly fine to keep soup in a cupboard in their living room.

"Oh my God, you guys!" Emma scolded, plugging her nose in disgust, "I told you to get rid of that!"

Jordan frowned at her. "Are you kidding? Mom's soup is way too damn good to get rid of!"

Taylor stepped in to defend his best friend. "Yeah," he reasoned, "how were we supposed to know it'd go bad?"

Emma just sat back and massaged her temples, trying to relieve the ever-lasting headaches these boys caused her. I quickly discarded the moldy soup, trying to save the plastic container in the process but failing since the poisoness growth seemed to have cemented itself to the sides.

"Back to business," I said, more to myself, as I returned to the cupboard, which still held the faint smell of rotted homemade soup. "Twister?" I called over my shoulder, to which they grunted their agreement. I stood on my tiptoes and pulled it down, carefully not to disturb the other games stacked above it. "You bitches are going down," I warned as I pulled the plastic mat out, "I own at this game."

"Bring it," Jordan challenged, slapping my ass as I laid the mat in the middle of the living room. Taylor grabbed the spinner from the box and gave it a flick. "Left hand yellow," he told us - we all put a left hand on yellow.

Seven minutes later, my knee was beneath Jordan's ass, Emma's torso was hovering centimeters above my own, and my face was shoved into Taylor's armpit, which thankfully smelled like Axe. Carefully, Emma reached out and flicked the spinner. "Right foot green," she told us, to which we all grunted as we tried to shift without falling. I made it, which just pressed my leg closer against Jordan's ass.

"How the hell do I win this?" Jordan complained from somewhere beneath Emma's left arm.

"You don't," I panted, struggling to stay up beneath the weight of his body on my leg. "I do."

"Watch it," he warned, pressing his ass harder against me, "I swear I'll fart."

"Don't you dare," I chirped as Taylor snorted next to me.

Before Jordan could retort, someone's phone went off within the depths of the couch cushion. "Shit," Emma hissed, "that's mine." We were all silent as we waited for her to untangle herself from the group and get it. She didn't.

"Uh, babe?" Taylor questioned, trying to crane his neck to see his girlfriend but just shoving his armpit further into my face. "Aren't you going to get that?" The ringing stopped as he finished his sentance.

"Hell no," she said, "I ain't losing for a phone call."

The phone began ringing again, and we all waited patiently for Emma to crack. "Fine!" she snapped after a few seconds, removing herself from the knot of limbs and causing us all to fall in the process.

---

“Hello?” I asked impatiently as Maddie and the guys started the game up again, really letting their competitive sides leak through. I heard a deep chuckle through the other end of the phone and could recognize it anywhere. “Jonesy? Finally ready to dish some hair secrets?” I asked, teasingly, sitting crisscross applesauce on the floor, becoming the official spinner as the piece of cardboard was thrust into my hands.

“How’s my best friend? Keeping the boys in line I presume?” Ryan asked with a contagious laugh, causing a huge grin to erupt on my face. I spun the board, and made sure the result was visible to my friends, watching as they maneuvered around each other.

“Of course, how’s your wife doing?” I let the conversation flow smoothly, not at all upset about being booted from the competition as Maddie somehow ended up with a knee in front of each guys’ groin, and a face full of hockey ass.

“She’s good, but back to those hair tips…” Ryan trailed off, causing me to launch myself from my seat on the ground, the spinner falling from my lap, and my three friends to gaze at me curiously as I let out a victory scream.

“Let me get a pen!” I yelled, grabbing an old envelope out of the recycling bin, and a pen from Taylor’s stash on the island.

“Babe?” Taylor called from the human knot on the ground, but I just smiled at him, cradling the phone between my cheek and my shoulder as Ryan gave me step-by-steps on how he gets his flow so.. flowy.

“MADDIE!” I yelled after I thanked Jonesy and promised to give him a hug the next time I was at the rink. I skipped back into the living room, taking in account that no one had moved since I left. My friend in question looked at me with a raised brow, but said nothing, urging me to continue. “Ryan Jones just gave me tips on how to get his flow so perfect!” I screamed, and was rewarded with a scream from the brunette incased between our guys.

“Oh my god!” She screamed, before straightening up instantly, causing both her knees to land… Well, I’m sure you get the picture.

“Sweet baby Jesus,” Jordan wheezed, cupping his area. Taylor let out a string of curses, falling to the ground with Jordan, rolling around in pain only men could feel. I gasped, and covered my mouth with my hand, as Maddie watched incredulously. After a minute of watching the guys squirm on the floor, realization flashed in her eyes, and she quickly sprung off the ground, throwing her hands in victory, careful to avoid the guys a second time.

“I win! I win! I fucking won, in your face you squeamish turd nuggets!” She yelled, before fist-pumping like she had saw Braden Holtby do yesterday when Taylor was trolling YouTube. I rolled my eyes, before walking into the kitchen to retrieve some cold compresses as Madelyne continued her victory dance.

---

I groaned loudly, willing my eyes to stay open - there was no way I was losing this. "Is he back yet?" I called to Emma at the dining room table, where she had her phone on speaker in front of her to make sure Taylor didn't fall asleep while going on a late-night snack run.

"Are you back yet?" she echoed to Taylor, rocking back and forth on her chair to keep herself awake, too. There was a rustle of bags over the line before Taylor's voice crackled in.

"Just pulled into the garage, the recep-...-sucks."

Emma's eyes widened as she snatched the phone up and held it close to her mouth. "Don't leave me Taylor!" she pleaded, shaking the device, "Fight with all your might!" Suddenly, her eyes narrowed and she shot a sly smile our way. "That rhymed," she mouthed. I smiled back from my spot cuddled into Jordan's side, knowing the girl had reached that area beyond sleepiness.

"Simmer," Taylor crackled back, "I'll be up in a minute." Emma's smile fell as the line went dead.

The entire apartment was silent as we waited for Taylor to get back. My eyes stung with sleep. I could tell Jordan was tired, too, since every so often I'd have to shake his head off my shoulder to keep him awake. The silence went on for about seven minutes before we heard the groggy steps of Taylor's stomping down the hall. We all waited to hear the lock click, but instead heard a distinct 'bang' followed by a string of swears. Another moment later, the door fell open.

"You guys," he groaned, zombie-like, "I just tried to use the unlock button on my keys to open the apartment door." His bloodshot eyes landed on each of us before he went on. "This is starting to get out of hand."

I felt Jordan perk up beside me. "Is that a white flag I see waving?"

Taylor glared our direction. "You wish," he retorted, setting the shopping bags on the table next to Emma, who immediately dug out a bottle of Mountain Dew and began chugging it before continuing to rustle through the bags.

"Tay," she questioned, "what's this?" I glanced her direction in time to see her unveil a toy helicopter from the bag.

Taylor shuffled on her feet for a second, not meeting Emma's eyes. "I just- I saw it and it sounded like a good idea at the time," he paused to rake a hand through his flow as Emma popped a perfect brow at him, "and- I just-...I'm just really tired, okay?!" With that, he threw his keys on the table and stomped off down the hall.

"I'll go talk to him," Jordan offered, a cool breeze meeting my left side as he went to tend to the Bromance that me nor Emma would ever fully understand.

Emma took his spot as he disappeared down the hall. "It's not even three yet," she said meekly, leaning against my side as she stared blankly ahead.

I just shook my head and leaned back. "We're in for a long, long night, my friend."

She nodded in agreement.

---

I tugged on my black Ugg’s and my white pea coat, before following Taylor and Jordan to the back yard of our building, glancing longingly at the closed hot tub in the far corner of the lawn. I pulled my coat closer to my body as Jordan started pulling the pieces from the box like a little kid at a candy store.

“Babe, are you cold?” Taylor asked, wrapping an arm around my waist, and gently pushing me so that I had to lean against his body, not that I was complaining. I nodded as a shiver raced through my body. Taylor frowned, before tugging the scarf from his neck, and tying it snugly around my neck, before pulling my long hair free from the restricting material.

“It’s alive!” Jordan bellowed as the helicopter lifted into the air, slowly but surely. Maddie clapped happily, and wiped a fake tear from her eye. Taylor laughed deeply, but kept his eyes trained on the flying object. I hugged myself closer to Taylor as a vicious wind ripped through our yard, and suddenly heard a string of curses flow from Jordan’s mouth.

Motherfuckingpieceofshithelicopter. Taylor’safuckingassholeforgettingmyhopesup. Fuckyouall.” Jordan mumbled, marching to the wooden fence, and used his upper-body strength to pull himself up over it, and disappeared behind the barrier.

“HEY!” Maddie yelled, finally realizing what her boyfriend had just said, causing a shout of ‘sorry’ from behind the wood. Taylor laughed again, and wrapped both his arms around me, hugging me closer to him. I twisted in his arms, making myself face him, and stretched on my tiptoes to place a soft kiss on his lips. I jumped back as a ball of snow hit both of our faces with acute precision, and due to the icy ground, my feet slipped from beneath me, ending with my ass on the cold ground.

Taylor turned from an innocent-looking Madelyne, and rested his eyes on me. A quick look of worry flashed across his eyes, before he cracked up, almost losing his balance due to his laughter. Maddie quickly joined him, both laughing at my expense. Jordan hopped back over the fence, helicopter in hand, and let out a snort before joining the other two in laughter.

I rolled my eyes, and quickly pushed myself of the ground, only to slip on the same ice that had cause my first fall. A fresh round of laughter ensued, and I knew my cheeks weren’t only red from the cold anymore. Taylor walked over, having spent most of his life on ice made this little patch a piece of cake, and offered a hand, safely pulling me to my feet. I glared at all of them, before childishly stomping my foot and pacing determinedly towards the building. I heard them slowly follow me, and I hurried my pace.

---

My eyelids fluttered open, letting in the relentless stream of sunlight flowing through the partially closed blinds. For a moment, I panicked, thinking I'd been the one to fall asleep and lose the contest for me and Jord. Until I heard one of Taylor's distinct snores followed by Emma's growled, "Shu- up- 'aylorr.."

Slowly, to relieve the stiffness in my tangled limbs, I propped onto my elbows to take in the disastrous scene splayed on the living room floor. Jordan had passed out with his head on my stomach and his feet up on the seat of the couch. I ran a hand through his unruly dark locks before shifting him onto a pillow so I could fully sit up.

Emma was next to me, completely spread out across the floor on her stomach, face down on the carpet. Her firey hair stuck out in all directions above the rumpled sweatshirt of Taylor's that was only half way on her body. Beside her was Taylor, propped up against the entertainment system with his head drooped down. One leg was stretched out over Emma's back while the other stayed curled against his large frame. His hands were close to his chest, as if he were hugging himself. Upon closer inspection, though, I could see the crumpled remains of his toy helicopter, cradled gently in his arms.

Huffing out a large breath, I scrubbed my hands across my face, trying to shake the sleep away. We must have all passed out at the same time last night, which meant no one had won. At least as far as I was concerned.

Limbs creaking with disagreement, I stood up and headed for the kitchen, my mouth watering for a good hearty breakfast. Within ten minutes, I'd whipped up a chocolate-chip pancake batter from scratch, and had that cooking in a pan alongside another pan of sizzling bacon. Within another ten minutes, the rest of the crew had woken and situated themselves around the island, their tongues all but hanging out at the delicious smell of breakfast.

"When did we fall asleep last night?" I asked, scooping pancakes and bacon onto each of their plates.

Emma shrugged, keeping her head bowed over her meal as she shoveled it into her mouth. "I think it was a tie," she said after she swallowed, sounding way too tired to argue who had won.

"Um," Jordan piped in around a mouthful of bacon, "I'm pretty sure it was us, babe."

"Right," Taylor snorted, "you were passed out on the floor before I even made it back inside."

"Oh, fuck you Taylor," Jordan chirped back, "don't think I didn't see you hugging that helicopter like a damn teddy bear-"

"HEY!" I shouted before they could argue anymore. They both snapped their widened eyes to me and then to the spatula I had pointed menacingly at both of them. "It was a tie, and that's that." I narrowed my blue eyes for emphasis. "Now eat your damn breakfast."

They both nodded like spanked puppies and bent back over ther meals. Emma caught my eye before returning to her own meal, and I could a sworn I saw a hint of a smile on her tired face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Haha, for some reason the only thing I can think of too put here is "What will we think of next?"
I seriously, have no idea where we pull our story lines from.
Other than Jordan and Taylor's Twitter accounts...

But I hope you all had a great holiday season and happy [almost] New Years!
Approximately two more hours! (Or if you're Emma, one.)
And here we are, updating stories. ;)

Comment & Subscribe!

- Maddie & Emma <3