‹ Prequel: The Crosby Life
Status: Active

The Fleury Life

The Big Day

The next day was the big day. Marc and I were off to the doctor’s office Monday morning to find out the sex our our baby.
I was wearing looser clothing to be more comfortable in, and my long brown hair was braided over my shoulder. Marc looked like his typical self, dressed in shorts and a t-shirt in this warm weather, but both of us were positively itching with excitement.
We chattered anxiously in the waiting room, and once in the actual doctor’s office for the ultrasound, we settled down and let the appointment begin.
Afterwards, we were grinning so much that our cheeks hurt. Not only did we find out what our beloved baby is, we also have our first ultrasound.
When we were outside by the car, before I could get in the passengers side of the Lambo, Marc pulled me into his arms and planted a big, loving kiss on my lips. I kissed back happily, enjoying this feeling of being infinite.
“I love you so much,” he whispered quietly in French, his forehead resting against mine as he smiled.
I tilted my head up and pecked him gently again. “I love you too.” I winked and stepped away from him and into the car.
Once he was in and we were on our way home, I sent a mass text to the team, including the coaches and training staff. So yes... pretty much everyone. The text read, ‘Anyone who wishes to be here when we announce the gender of our baby and the name we have picked out, meet at our place in an hour. If you can’t make it, I’m sure you’ll find out anyways the minute we spill!”
After that, I sent a text to Max and Em, telling them everything since they can’t be here with us, and I made them promise not to tell since the guys here don’t know yet.
And then, it was a call to the parents in Nova Scotia. Needless to say, my mom was in tears, my father was congratulating us nonstop, and Taylor was squealing with joy.
Both Marc and I laughed and rolled our eyes.
We had to wait to tell his parents because they weren’t home when we called.
When we finally pulled into our home, there was already a familiar car sitting in the driveway, and when we pulled into the garage, I looked out my window and laughed at my brother who waved as he stepped out.
“You could have just gone in,” I said. “You know the alarm code.”
Sid shrugged and hugged me tightly before we walked into the house together as Marc-Andre held the door open for us. “I figured I’d wait.” He smiled. “So, I don’t get a preview do I? I am your twin brother after all.”
I grinned wickedly and turned away from his arm. “Nope. Sorry bro, you get to wait just like the rest of the guys.” He sighed sadly and I laughed. “Don’t worry, you don’t have to wait much longer.”
“Yeah, yeah.”
Marc came up behind me and slipped an arm around my waist, handing me a cold glass of water as he kissed the back of my neck. I giggled and twisted in his arm as he let go and sipped the water. “Thank you.”
“De rein.” He winked.
I sat in the living room with my brother at my side as a bunch of the guys made their way over. I got messages back from those who couldn’t make it, so I knew when the last of the boys had arrived. Of course, it was the usual crowd, consisting of Geno, Jordan, Nealer, Tanger, Brooksy and his girlfriend, TK, Benny, and Z.
Once they were all settled in the living room with some sort of drink in hand, Marc took my hand and pulled me to my feet, putting his arm around my waist, holding me close. “So, who wants to know?”
Loud cheers of impatient hockey players, plus Brooks’ girlfriend, echoed out living room and I laughed and shook my head.
“Just tell us whether we are all expecting a niece or nephew baby Flower!” Jordan yelled.
Marc and I met gazes, and with a slight nod, I looked at everyone, meeting every single person’s eyes. “Well...” I paused for the dramatics, which had everyone on the edge of their seats, or just leaning forward if they were on the floor. “We’re having a baby boy!”
Cheers went up throughout the house, scaring my poor dog who made himself comfortable next to Nealer, and I nestled into my husband’s arm as they all yelled happily, whipping out their phones to tell everyone they know. I shook my heads at them all, but I was laughing.
I glanced at my brother, and he smiled at me, and that smile was filled with nothing but joy, despite what he has been through lately. Because of his genuine happiness for me, I enveloped him in a tight hug. “I love you, Sid.”
“I love you too, Erra.”
He kissed my cheek, but we could get no other words in because Geno shouted over everyone else. “What the name?”
I looked at Marc as I found myself next to him again and away from my brother, and I took a deep breath. This was the moment we couldn’t go back from, and as Marc took up the speech this time, my eyes landed on Kris Letang. He met my gaze steadily, a smile on his lips, and we both just stared at each other as Marc talked. “After much consideration, and hours of talking, we’ve decided on a name that, surprising, both of us have thought about as a name before, even before we were even dating.” The guys laughed and Marc playfully rolled his eyes. “Oh, come on, you’ve all thought of names that you’d like to name your kids here and there.”
“Very true,” Benny said, gaining himself a laugh of his own. “You know it’s all true! When I’m bored, I like to think about what my future kids names would be.”
Marc chuckled and continued on. “Well, once this name was brought up, we both realized that we have both thought of this before. However, this name also means something a little more so some of us.” I kept my gaze on Tanger as he rose an eyebrow in curiosity.
“Hurry up already,” Nealer said.
I shot him a quick look, to which he replied with a grin, before I looked at Kris again. “We’ve decided,” Marc started, “to name our son Luc.”
Chatter went up around us, saying how that’s a wonderful choice, and it will definitely fit a Fleury. But I wasn’t paying attention to anything. All my focus was on Kris, and as Marc spoke, I saw the joy fade from his dark eyes as the name was said. He looked away from my gaze and stood up, leaving the living room without a word.
Sidney met my gaze and started to stand. I shook my head. “No, let me.” I glanced at Marc who nodded, pressing a kiss to my cheek as I headed out of the living. A voice behind me said, “What’s up with Tanger?”
“Luc’s a sensitive subject for him,” Jordan said.
“Why?” Nealer of course.
“Because of the person the name once belonged to.”
I stepped around the corner, and saw the front door open with Kris sitting on the front step. He was throwing a ball to Riley and the two were playing fetch. I came up next to him, leaving the door open since it is so nice out, and I sat next to him, watching Riley run to get the ball.
He was quiet for a while, and I didn’t push him to speak. I wanted him to come to me. And he did. “It’s a good name.”
I looked at him. “I know it’s still hard for you.”
Tanger gave a weak, sad smile. “I don’t think it will ever not be hard, Erra.”
I tilted my head and rested it on his large shoulder, but not before turning to look at the table against the wall across from the front door that held a picture of Luc Bourdon and I, grins on our faces. “I know. But I think it’s time to start making happy memories with that name again, don’t you think, Uncle Kris?”
That got a real smile out of him. “Yeah, I guess you’re right.” He looked at me and I lifted my head off his shoulder. “Luc Fleury... I do really like the sound of that.” He gave me an honest, happy smile. “It fits well. I’m glad you chose it.”
“It was that, or Destin.”
Tanger wrinkled his nose and laughed. “Ok, now I’m extremely glad you picked Luc.” His eyes took on a distant gaze, but he still smiled. “I think Luc would be honored that you chose his name to name your son after.”
“Hey, I’m not naming my son completely after him.” Tanger raised an eyebrow, giving me that ‘uh huh’ kind of look. I laughed. “Ok, it is one of the reasons though. But it really is one of my favorite boy names.”
Tanger tossed the ball to Riley. “I know.” He nudged me with his shoulder. “I’m going to be favorite uncle, right?”
I laughed and stood up, Tanger quickly following. “It depends on how Luc likes you.”
He cocked his head to the side. “He’ll have the same name as my best friend. I think I’m a shoe in for best uncle.”
“Next to Sid, of course.”
He grinned. “Next to Sid, of course.”
We walked back in together, Riley following behind, and rejoined the joyous festivities in my living room, all spirits as high as they can be.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really just needed to write to distract myself from my emotions, so here's the next chapter. Please enjoy.