‹ Prequel: The Crosby Life
Status: Active

The Fleury Life

A Variety of Ailments

Kris Letang’s PoV:
“Yeah!” Tanger shouted as Duper scored a shorthanded goal. He raised his hands in triumph as his teammates cheered on the ice while he sat on the bed in the hotel room, unable to play due to a two game suspension he received on a boarding call the day before.
He couldn’t complain about the suspension. It was his own fault and he knew it.
As Tanger settled back down onto the hotel bed, a small figure curled into his side just as the commentators announced the person’s absence.
“And we should note that former player and current trainer Sierra Crosby~”
“Fleury,” the other one said.
The first one kept speaking as if he wasn’t interrupted. “~is missing from the Penguins bench. There is no word on why such an important person to the team is gone.”
“Maybe she’s keeping Letang company,” the other smirked.
Tanger felt a muscle in his jaw twitched ever so slightly, but the scowl on his face quickly faded away as Sierra moaned and pulled the blanket she was cuddled in over her head. The French defenseman looked down as her sympathetically as she cuddled against his side.
“I’d help if I could,” he muttered, knowing she couldn’t hear.
He looked back at the TV and absently stroked her shoulder as he continued to watch the game.

Sierra’s PoV:
A loud ring woke me up from my peaceful slumber and I rolled over in bed to answer my bloody phone. “Hello?” I muttered, my voice sounding like someone else’s because it’s so nasally.
“Sierra Rose Crosby-Fleury. What’s wrong? Are you ok? Why weren’t you at the game last night? You’re home now, I know. You flew back last night. I talked to your brother. He doesn’t know what’s wrong too. Why aren’t you saying anything?!”
“Because you aren’t even pausing for a breath, mom,” I mumbled, rolling back onto my stomach.
“Sierra!”
“I’m fine, mom.” I yawned and looked at the clock. 10:25. I slept in. Good thing there’s no practice today. “I have the flu. My husband gave it to me.”
“So he was sick with the flu last week?”
“Yes mom. And now I have it.”
“Are you drinking enough fluids? Marc-Andre better be making you lots of soup.”
I moaned. “Yes and yes, mom. I’m a big girl now. I know how to take care of myself.”
“You’re still only twenty four.”
I sighed. “I love you mom, but I need to get up now. Bye.”
“Love you too, sweetie. Tell Marc I say hi.”
“Mmmhmm.” I quickly shut off my phone before she could say anything else.
As I rolled over to put my phone back on my side table, I noticed Marc standing in the doorway, a smirk upon his lips. “Good morning.”
I threw a pillow at him, causing him to laugh as he caught it. “It would be a good morning if you hadn’t of gotten me sick,” I murmured, hiding under my blankets.
My husband chuckled and wandered over to me, sitting next to me on the bed. “Now, don’t go blaming me,” he said, pulling the blanket from over my head. “That’s cheating.”
I stuck my tongue out at him, causing him to laugh as I started to cough. “Ass.”
“Beautiful.”
“Suck up.”
“You got me,” and with that, he planted a kiss on my forehead.
I smiled slightly. “Ok, you’re forgiven.”
Marc-Andre laughed. “Good. Because you have a visitor.”
I narrowed my eyes suspiciously, sniffing in the process. “Who?”
“Geno wants you to check his knee out.”
I groaned. “It’s my day off!”
“He trusts you more than anyone else. And we didn’t have practice today or anything but still wants the evaluation.”
“I highly doubt I should be near athletes right now.”
Marc raised an eyebrow. “You were with Tanger last night,” he pointed out.
“Ok, fine!” I threw my hands up in the air. “But I’m not getting dressed.”
Marc chuckled as I heaved myself out of bed. “Wasn’t expecting you to, love.”
I looked back at him and stuck my tongue out at him again, only earning myself a bear hug. “You know I love you, right?”
I smiled and snuggled into his embrace for a few moments. “I love you too.” I pulled away from him. “Now let me go check out my Russian.”
I headed downstairs, immediately greeted by my dog who decided licking my legs was fun, and headed into the living room where Geno was casually watching TV. He looked up at me with that usual, boyish smile and waved slightly. “Hi.”
“If I get you sick, you aren’t allowed to blame me.”
He blinked a couple times. “I wasn’t planing on it.”
I nodded and say down on the ottoman in front of him. He picked up his right leg and placed it across my lap, his knee close to me on my left. “You know the drill.” He nodded as I placed my apparently cold hands on his knee (he flinched from the chill) and I squeezed softly. He shook his head as I wrapped both of my tiny hands around his large knee. The downside to this profession for women is that you tend to work with larger athletes, and we have small hands. It can cause issues.
“Nothing feels loose, which it hasn’t in a while. But at least it isn’t getting worse, right?” He nodded, but my joke was lost on him. Then again, it really wasn’t all that funny...
“Flex your knee... relax. Bend it.” He laid back and bent his knee as I kept my hands wrapped around it and my body leaned forward with his leg to keep contact. “Ok, sit back up and relax. I know you’re nervous, Geno, but everything really is fine.” He nodded, his dark brown eyes clouded with worry. “It’s just sore, and I know it’s hard for you, but rest is the only thing that will help. Ok?”
“Ok,” he finally agreed, looking a little upset.
I sighed and sat next to him with my legs curled under me so I matched his height as we sat together, and I wrapped my arms around him. He relaxed immediately and rested his head against my temple. “I’m sorry, Evgeni. There isn’t anything we can do. I know you want a definite answer, but I can’t provide it. You haven’t played a true NHL game since February until the start of the season. It’s going to take a while until your knee can take that level of activity. Remember all my injuries? It always took a while to feel good again. I’d always have to take a few games off here and there just to rest. When Sid comes back, he will probably need to take a few games off, just because his body isn’t used to playing like this. You know? There’s a huge difference between practices and an actual game.”
“I know.” He sighed. “It still hard, though.”
I turned my head to kiss his. “I know. It’ll be ok though.”
He nodded. “Is it ok if I steal Flower for a while?”
I chuckled. “Yeah, sure. It isn’t like I can go anywhere for a while. Just make sure he doesn’t get into any trouble and comes back in one peace. I’d like to keep my husband.”
That got a smile out of Geno as he pulled away from my grasp. “Thank you, Erra. You the best, you know? You always know what to say.”
I patted his shoulder as I stood up. “I try my best, Genome.” I winked and he laughed. “I try my best.”