‹ Prequel: The Crosby Life
Status: Active

The Fleury Life

Family, Now and Forever

The drive up to Thunder Bay was long and tiring. I am not allowed to fly since I am in my third trimester, but I wouldn’t miss Jordan’s wedding for the world. So after much bickering, and then some eyelash batting on my part, Marc and I were taking the very long drive to Ontario in order to attend the wedding.
Sidney was already there, spending a week there first, and on the drive sent me the spectacular news that he and the Penguins agreed to terms to keep him a Penguin for ever. I was so ecstatic that I accidentally hit Marc when I threw my arms in the air and he swerved slightly on the road, shooting me a look to which I responded with a sheepish grin once he straightened the car out.
A day and a half later, and a day before the wedding, we finally arrived in Thunder Bay. I talked with Jordan a bit, but he was being uncharacteristically distant with him.
Unfortunately, I knew why, and he just didn’t want to talk to me quite yet.
The wedding was absolutely beautiful. Jordan was as handsome as ever, and his beautiful bride, the lovely Heather who I have known since he came to Pittsburgh, was just stunning. They have had an on and off relationship since he went pro, but the past few years they’ve been steady and when he finally popped the question to her, I smacked him in the back of the head and mumbled ‘about time’ to him.
I’m such a loving person.
The reception was a ton of fun as well. I danced a little, but mainly I just became a social butterfly and floated around the reception hall, or, well, ‘float’ as much as a eight month pregnant woman can float. Sidney and Marc seemed to make dancing partners out of each other, which provided me with great amusement. There is nothing like seeing your husband and your twin brother dancing too a slow song with each other.
I kept trying to get near Jordan, yet he seemed to evade me at every chance he got. Eventually, I got Heather on my side, and she purposely distracted him (with a kiss of course) so I could ease my way up next to him nonchalantly. I sipped my water as they broke apart, and I noticed the smile on his lips fade from the corner of my eye as I cleared my throat, announcing my very close presence.
“Sierra,” he said uncomfortably as Heather winked at me and walked away.
“Jordan,” I replied calmly, looking into his blue eyes.
“Listen, I...” He looked down and bit his lip.
“I know, Jordan,” I said, putting him out of his misery. He looked up at me again, a question in his eyes. “You really think any type of secret can be kept amongst any of us? You’re kidding yourself if you do.” Jordan’s lips perked up slightly. “Plus I happen to be the sister of the captain of the team, so obviously I’m the first to know when you turn down the ten year deal offered to you by us.”
His face dropped again. “I’m sorry.”
I turned on him quickly and slapped him. Some people nearby gasped, but Marc Staal was there and explained to them that it was fairly normal for me to hit some of the guys. “Don’t apologize, Jordan Lee,” I scolded, my face cold. “You made your decision, you have your reasons, so do not apologize for them.” My face softened, and my hand rested on his recently-slapped cheek gently. “Especially when I understand. I’ve always known it was a goal for all of your brothers to play together some day, and signing that deal would not have made that possible. So don’t apologize, Jordan. You shouldn’t, and you better not, apologize for making this decision. If it is was you believe is best for you, then step forward with all your heart and don’t worry about what others think, because it is best for you to think about you. And Heather too, of course.”
Jordan smiled, his much larger hand now resting on mine on his cheek. “Thank you, Erra. I should have known I could have come to you.”
“You know you can always come to me. I’m always here for you, even if you do end up going somewhere else.”
Jordan let go of my hand, which I dropped, and he looked down again. “Well... about that.”
My eyes widened and my jaw dropped. “No,” I muttered quietly.
“Shero just called not long ago. I’m off to Carolina.”
My heart fell, but I put on a smile and hugging the tall blonde. “That’s great, Jordan.”
“Then why doesn’t it feel so great? I feel like I should be finishing out my contract at least.”
“That couldn’t happen. This is what was meant to be, Jordan, ok?” I looked at him. “You are excited aren’t you?”
“Of course I am!” His eyes lit up as he said that, but dulled again. “But I’m going to miss everyone. A lot. You are all like family to me. We’ve been a family for six years now.”
“And that’s six years that will never be taken away from you,” I said kindly, smiling a true smile at him. “We will still be your family, Jor. We are just a phone call away, and you know you can call me, or anyone for the matter, whenever you want. Being traded away doesn’t mean our family ties are broken. Look at Max. We’re still very close.”
“I know. I just don’t want things to change.”
I winked and socked him in that arm, causing him to laugh and rub where I just hit him. “Nothing has changed, Jordan. And nothing will. We are family, now and forever, ok?” I held my fist out to him.
He looked at me, studying me, and then grinned widely before bumping his own fist against my own. “Family, now and forever.” He hugged me tightly. “I’m still god father though, right?” he asked humorously.
I scoffed and pushed him away. “Who said you were god father in the first place?”
Jordan laughed and then quickly put on a pouty face. “Aww, come on Erra!”
I grinned at him and started walking away. “Too many people are competing for the position, Jordan!”
“At least let me face this dance, then?” he asked as the song changed to a slow one.
I turned and faced him, staring at his outstretched hand. I smiled and took his hand. “Alright. One dance won’t hurt. But just know I’m not quite as coordinated as I usually am.”
Jordan laughed, pulling my body close to him and wrapping one arm around my waist as the other continued to grasp my hand. “I know.” We danced slowly, and eventually I rested my head on his chest. It will be quite a change at the start of next season, not seeing his blonde head every day, purposely bothering me and pushing my buttons. After six years, you get used to the routine, and it will be strange not having him there. But inside, I know this is what is best for him, and I respect that.
And I didn’t lie. No matter what, Jordan will still be family, not just to me, but to Sid and Marc and Geno, and everyone else. Now, and forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's a little short, but this chapter means a lot to me. It's pretty much my goodbye to Jordan as a Penguin, but expresses that no matter where he is, no matter what team he plays for, he will always be a Penguin in my heart, and in his, and he will continue to be one of my favorite players. I just wanted to put that all into Sierra's words, and I think I did a pretty ok job.
Once a Penguin always a Penguin.

Anyways, I hope you like it and please comment! I love seeing your comments.

And once more, I wish Jordan the best of luck in Carolina. I know he will be a star, and he will finally get the ice time he truly deserves. He will always be a Penguin; a brother to Sid and the team. Have fun, Jordan :) and don't forget about us!