‹ Prequel: The Crosby Life
Status: Active

The Fleury Life

Fights & Jokes

“Jenna, there is nothing I can do,” I said, my voice forced and annoyed. “There is nothing Chris can do, there is nothing Scott can do, and there is nothing that the most renowned doctor in the world can do. This is nothing we can help. He just needs to take the time off for his brain to heal.
“But what if it doesn’t, Sierra?” she asked, her voice cracking. “What if he is plagued by this forever? Look at Pronger, Sierra!”
“God dammit, don’t you think I know that!” I shrieked, throwing my hands in the air. “Don’t you think I understand? Look at Kristopher, and look at Z! Look at everyone else in this world who has suffered a concussion!” Jenna backed away, looking abashed. “Don’t you think I’m worried too? But I can’t afford to have doubts! I’m a trainer, I have to have confidence that everyone will come back! Fuck, Pronger may not play again. Yes, I realize that if Sid keeps getting concussions, that could be him I understand!”
Jenna averted my gaze. “I’m sorry.”
“He’s my brother, Jenna. You may be his fiance, but he’s my twin brother. I feel his pain, his agitation. Do you know how much self restraint I had in order to not jump on the ice and go after David Krejci myself?”
“Sierra~”
“I have work to do,” I snarled, turning on my heels and leaving the empty locker room and heading to my office, where the other two trainers, Scott and Chris, awaited, looking embarrassed. “You heard.” It wasn’t a question.
“Sorry,” Chris said.
I shrugged and made my way to my office, closing the door as I sat down at the computer to just think.
After an immeasurable amount of time, (ok, I lost track of time), a knock at the door snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked out the window and saw Brooksy standing there, staring me down.
For some reason, a smile crept on my lips as I opened the door. “What?”
He plopped down on one of the other chairs in the office. “I just want to give you a heads up that I’m going to kill your husband.”
I raised an eyebrow. “Oh really? And why is that?”
“He put whipped cream down my glove.”
I had to bite my lip in order to keep myself from busting out laughing. I coughed, trying to swallow my laughter. “Well, I’d really prefer you didn’t kill him.”
Brooksy finally broke out into the smile that I knew he was holding back. “Alright, I won’t kill him. But I will get back at him.”
“As you should.” I turned from him to glance at the pile of work sitting on my desk.
“Erra?”
“Yeah?”
“What’s wrong?”
I froze, not even letting a breath out. “What makes you think something’s wrong?”
“What a load of bologna,” Brooks scoffed. “I overheard you and Jenna when I came back to get a different glove.”
I blushed. “Oh.”
“I don’t blame you for snapping at her. She was being a little too freaked out for my liking, but you still went a little too far.”
“I know.”
“You should apologize.”
I looked at Brooksy. “I know.”
He smiled. “Now, will you put a smile on that face. You aren’t as cute with a frown.” He winked.
“Oh, ha ha!” I stuck my tongue out at him. “You are just SO funny, Mr. Brooks Orpik.”
“I try.”
“Go away!” I laughed, getting up and shoving him out of my office. “I actually do have work that needs to be done.”
“Ok, ok!” he laughed, walking away. Before exiting the training room, he started up a song. “Oh, Sierra! The Kid’s twin sister! Once an amazing hockey player, and now an amazing trainer! So skillful, with such sharp words~”
“BROOKS!” I yelled as I started giggling out of control. Chris and Scott both looked at me, and then at his fleeting back. “Sorry.”
“Hey, we’d rather see you laughing till you cry then see you mad,” Scott said.
I smiled. “Thanks.”
“Sierra!”
“I’m done with you Brooks!” I closed the training room door, his blue eyes staring at me with fake sadness through the window. “I’m not falling for that. I know you too well.”
And so he just stood there, outside the door, staring at me, with a goofy smile on his face.
“Don’t you have someone else so bug?” I asked, amused, as Scott and Chris burst into hysterics.
“Nope.”
“Well... go start planning the prank to get back at Marc.”
“I need Geno.”
And then, as if on cue, Geno appeared around the corner and looked between Brooks and I through the window, confused. “Uh?”
“The doors locked, Geno, sorry,” I said.
“But...?”
“Make him go away,” I pointed at Brooks,” and I’ll let you in.”
Geno blinked and looked at Brooks. “Go away.”
“Sorry, I need to bug Sierra.”
“I’ll help with Flower prank if you go away.”
Brooksy thought about it. “Ok, but I’m only really leaving because I need to shower.”
“You just keep telling yourself that,” I smirked as he strode away, and I opened the door to the training room. “Sorry, Geno.”
“No worries,” he smiled.
“Ice?”
He nodded.
We take precautions with his knee by icing it after every practice and game. He’s been feeling so well and his knee hasn’t been bothering him, and we want to keep it that way by icing it to make sure.
I handed him the ice and wrapped it on his knee. “There you go.”
“Thanks, Erra,” he said. “Oh, and Flower wants to know if you’re almost ready to go.”
I looked back at Scott and Chris, and Chris smiled. “Go on. There isn’t much else to do here, and we’ll finish whatever there is up.
“Thanks guys,” I smiled and went into the office to grab my coat and purse. “See you tomorrow.”
“Preparing for the Hawks!”
I laughed. “Of course. Bye.”
Geno and I left the two and I put on my big winter coat. Marc-Andre was waiting outside the locker room and smiled brilliantly at me. “Ready, ma chérie?”
“Oui.” I smiled.
We bed farewell to Geno and headed out to our car.
“Bye Sierra!” I heard Brooks yell from out of no where.
I rolled my eyes as I flicked him off and got into the escalade. “What’s that all about?” my husband asked, curious.
I laughed. “Brooks is being an idiot.”
He smiled. “I got him today.”
“Oh, I know. He came to complain.”
Marc started laughing. “And now he’s making it his duty to bother you?”
“Sure seems that way.”
Marc-Andre only started laughing more. “Sorry.”
“Don’t apologize... I secretly find him amusing.”
And from that, the two of us just started laughing the rest of the drive home.