Learning How to Smile

Waiting

We didn’t find a hotel. We didn’t find a bed. We found a couch, though: an old, worn, ragged, torn and jagged couch.

We also found some people. It was these people who led us to the couch. They also let us to drugs. They’re bad people, but in a good way. They’re bad, good people: very, very much.

I look up at you, because for some reason I don’t quite remember, I’m lying in your lap. You took your shirt off. The sweat on your bare chest is glistening.

I look over at the table and watch the flame of the candle burning. It’s so bright. It makes me go a little blind.

Someone suddenly thrusts a spoon in over the flame, cutting it in half. The spoon is black and silver – black where it’s gotten burnt so many times now.

Someone waves a five dollar bill in front of me, but I barely see it because of me being a little blind.

I sit up, taking the bill in the process. The white powder is lined up beautifully on the table, and for a second – a long second – I want to lick it up instead of sniffing it.

I take too long and you take the bill. You snort a line and I watch in fascination as it disappears from the table. I’m always amazed by that sight.

You hand the bill back over, looking at me briefly with huge, glazed-over eyes.

I do as you did, and I fly away even more than I did before. I drown in the ocean of swirling circles and sharp edges. I get hit by a bus filled with all different kinds of emotions; and I enjoy them all. I just enjoy not being bored. I enjoy being lost and out of control, waiting for someone to save me.