The Changing

A Goal

“Saul Tarah!” a voice said mockingly. My mind was still fluttering from the hit to the back of my head. I looked for words but found none. I was helpless. I couldn’t move or see. Everything was black.

“I said Saul Tarah!” the same voice yelled at me. The name he used seemed to stir memories but not of myself. I once again tried to speak but my mouth would not open. I could hear the man pacing back and forth but still all I could see was darkness.

“Take the bag off of his head” I heard the man tell someone near me. For a split second I saw the pale light of fire flicker across my face. It didn’t last long before I felt a quick jab to my throat. Whoever this man was now seemed to have my throat gripped under his palm. I would’ve tried resisting him but my hands were tied behind my back, as were my feet. I was dead if thats what he saw fit.

“What are you doing wandering around the city mister Saul. It’s very dangerous to stir the dead at night.” The mans pitch black eyes struck straight down into my core. This man was not human. I managed to gaze over his body in hopes of proving my hypothesis correct but I only saw the figure of a person. Through this revelation I managed a smile. As dangerous as the situation was at least I knew he was flesh and blood just like me. He wasn’t one of those creatures I saw earlier. Unfortunately he saw my smile and in returned gripped my adams apple. Almost instantly I teared up and gagged on my own throat.

“Who do you thin-” that’s as far as he got before the fire in the room went out. Apparently wherever we were only had one light source and its now gone.

“Shit, shit, shit.” I heard the man who took of my mask mutter. “Hurry get the fire started again!” I heard many peoples feet shuffle in front of me. They were terrified. It wasn’t long after the order was given, to start the fire again, that the light sputtered back to life. I glanced past my captor, still holding my neck, and saw upwards of six people surrounding the light. They were tending to the fire in every way imaginable. Logs, newspaper and any other kind of kindle they could find. At least two were blowing on it trying to spread the flames. I then looked back at my worried companion. His focus was no longer on me but rather the men surrounding the light. He was sweaty and dirty. He must’ve been hiding here for quite awhile. This entire room smelled of smoke and ashes.

“Excuse me-” I mumbled. His grip got tighter in his worry. “Can you let go?” He glanced at me before sighing and releasing me.

“If you don’t want anymore of this then you’ll answer my questions ok?” He looked into my eyes. His pupils were dilated as if he was an animal trapped in a corner. I nodded at his question. However, I only hoped he could help me understand what the hell has happened. “Ok, ok, ok-- first off, your names Saul Tarah? Where did you come from? how long have you been here?” I quickly glanced around the room. More then half of the men in the room had turned and were looking at me. Far off in a corner I could see a few females and children. The men were here to protect them.

“I-- I think so. I don’t know my name; I don’t remember anything.” I let my eyes wander away from the children and the guards into my tormentor vision. We were deadlocked. He was trying to see if he could trust me. I feigned a smile and politely added “I honestly don’t know whats been happening here. I woke up in the forest close to where you--” I felt a sharp sting across my cheek. He slapped me. I felt a tear well up in my eye from the pain before growling. “I’m telling the truth” I grimaced these words under my breath with hate. However when I looked into his eyes I didn’t see his vulture stare any longer. I saw pity.

“I believe you. No one goes that close to the central of the city without not knowing what the hells been going on. Bruce untie him.” He smiled at me almost tearing up. He looked at me as if I was a harmless animal about to be slaughtered. Bruce, the man who undid my mask, also undid my constraints. He was a bigger man, but even though he looked above average size, he also had that frightened look on his face that my unnamed friend has.
After my restraints were off I looked at them both “What happened here?” They both drew a long sight before Bruce stepped away to join his fellows among the fire. Most had lost interest in me or just simply didn’t want to hear the story again. Before my captor spoke I quickly added “What is your name?”

He smiled and softly whispered “Levi” then he gently picked himself off his knees and held out his hand. “Here come with me. We need to be closer to the light.” I looked at his dirty hand but took it. He helped me up to my feet and slowly walked me to the fire. Now everyone around us had no choice but to listen. “Listen, Saul, the end of the world has happened. The dead have risen. I don’t know how and I don’t know why but it’s finally happened.” He sat down near the edge of the flame which was now more of a brazier because of the ashes it was sitting on. I took a seat next to him and stared into the flame silently.

“Look, I know it sounds ridiculous but you can’t deny what you saw. Those things on the light posts were once our families. Th-the things took them from us and turned them into moving cadavers. We couldn’t do a thing about it. We all ran.” He drew a deep breath and exhaled. “It only took a month for the world to go quiet.” I looked away from the flame at him with intent. I wanted to know why this had happened. Why now?

“I--I did my best to save as many as I could” He continued “but I could never have saved everyone. We ran here and we’ve been here ever since. We had a radio and kept in contact with others but one by one stations went silent. We’d talk to friends across the city one day and wake up the next to discover they weren’t there anymore. A lot of us hoped they got away but we know that wasn’t the case. They died. Just like we will” His eyes seemed to fade away, as if his own soul abandoned him. I gently raised my hand to put it against his shoulder but he moved away. I wasn’t sure what to say until I looked around the room again. Everyone was in draped in tattered burned clothes and looked as though they haven’t eaten the whole time they’ve been in here.

I bit my lip and murmured “what do you guys eat?” He looked away in a pathetic manner. I knew he had no answer. “look, you saved my life. I had no where to go, I would’ve ran into whatever creatures you were talking about earlier and it’d be me tied to a light post right now. I owe all of you.” I stood up tall and looked all across the dimly lit room into each one of their eyes and smiled. It was the most reassuring smile I could muster and most of them were dumbfounded by my sudden speech. “Listen to me, each and everyone of you is afraid. You’re so terrified you can’t even leave this place to get food. You must muster your courage. This place is no place to live. I promise, I will help you until you can help yourself.” I looked down into Levi’s eyes. “Where is the door?”

Levi was severely displeased with me as we neared the entrance. Apparently they held themselves up in a large warehouse. They all seemed to stay in the most contained maintenence room though. I guess they felt safer there. Sort of like a security blanket. It was hopeless in any actual defense but it kept them going.

“Saul, please don’t do this. I couldn’t save many people when this first started, but those I did save, including you, are my only salvation that I actually did something right in my life.”

I smiled at him and placed my hand against his shoulder. “I’m a man without memories or a family. There are families here with you that you’ve taken under your wing. They need you more then me. I’m a useful scout nothing more. I’d only put a hamper on your operations here if I didn’t put in my duties. Don’t worry, I’ll be ok.” I gently slide my hand off of his shoulder and reached for the door. He looked at me and nodded before wandering back into the room with the other survivors. I took another deep breath, filling my lungs with air and ash, before pushing the door open. What I saw was breathtaking. And not in a good way.