My So Called Cinderella Life

Car Wash

Ryan came up to me while in the hallways and asked if I was going to lunch. My day just got so much better.

The past week he's been so nice to me. He's really sweet and friendly, and just very nice. I saw him talking with another girl so I didn't want to interupt them too much.

As we were walking to the office, I started, "So that girl your girlfriend?"

"Tammy? The pretty one with glasses...?"

"Umm, yes."

"Oh no. We broke a while ago. Like around a year ago. Or was it two? I can't really remember."

I said sarcastically, "You must like her a lot if you don't know when you last dated."

Ryan laughed, "So... are you going to the dance?"

"Me... Dance... No way."

"You in a dress? Or you dancing is a no?"

"Hah... Both. Can you imagine me in a dress?"

Ryan nodded, "Actually yeah. Actually like to see you in a dress. You'd look really cute."

I stopped walking and smiled at him. "You are... really good at saying sarcastic things." Then I continued walking and he exclaimed, "What? You'd really look good."

I just continued smiling... I saw Kayla coming my way and I shut my eyes. "God, help me."

"Hey step-sis!" She greeted. I realized I was walking very close to Ryan, so I kept my distance away from him. He gave me a puzzled look but I just frowned.

"Mom needs her car washed today. Think you could do it?" She asked handing me car keys.

I sighed, "Sure. What time do I need to be home by today?"

"Umm, five. Since the last time you got home waaayyy passed that."

Ryan gave Kayla a very confused look. Kayla continued, "Are you guys going to lunch?"

"Ryan is. I'm going to the office to drop something off."

She grabbed Ryan's wrist and exclaimed, "I'm going to lunch too. Let's have lunch together." Then she pulled him... Ryan looked at me and I frowned a lot.

Was I actually getting jealous of him?

After school, I immediately went to go get Margaret's car wash. I invited Kaylie, but Kayla wouldn't let her go with me. She really never lets Kaylie and I go anywhere alone together. I'm starting to think there was a reason...

I paid my ten dollars at my window and turned the car engine off, letting the car go through the wash itself.

I looked at myself in the rearview mirror. Then looked around the car. Ew, this car was a complete mess. Papers were all over the seat, clothes were all in the back... The floor was full of food crumbs... I can't imagine what the trunk looked like. I opened the the drawer in the passenger seat and coughed when all the dust came out.

Really... Really...

The drawer was even messier. I took all the books that were in the drawer out and blew my nose at it.

There was a huge book that I dropped and I groaned. "This is just... not my day."

A piece of paper dropped out of it and I squinted my eyes when I thought I saw my name. I picked up the paper and it was small as a sticky note.

One side said, "To Marisa."

I flipped it over and it was Dad's handwriting.

I couldn't believe it.

This was defnitley fate.

Margaret's car? All these books?

It read, "Hey lovely daughter of mine. I'm surprised you even got here. This is the most challenging piece that you could probably fine. Well, going on from number 5, this is obviously number 6. I had to make this very, very short. but during elementary school, your mother, Margaret and I were very good friends up until 8th grade and she changed a bit when we entered high school. That's all I can say for now. Love you darling. Daddy."

I sighed.

So Dad knew Margaret from before? She wasn't a new woman.

Huh.

I put the note in my folder that was in my backpack and kept it with note number one. I found his book in that nasty drawer and it was kind of like a diary book. When I opened the diary and picture of Mom and Dad fell out. I smiled and held it tightly. Half of the book was torn pages but there was one entry that was kept.

"Hey Journal. So my girlfriend gave this to me as a gift because she knew that I loved writing so she bought this for me. She is absolutely the best. She is the one that I wish to marry. I know that sounds off coming from at 16 year old kid like me, but I'm in love... what can i say? Anyway, this is just my first journal entry... I will come back and write more and talk more about my girl... Sincerely, Paul... PS... Peace out."

I laughed. Oh dad... He never changed even when he was 30.

I was starting to think that this was Dad's car, because it had all skateboarding books, and his diary... and Margaret didn't seem to take good care of it. She had her new BMW which she drives often, but when it goes to the shop, she takes this car.

When the car wash was done, I immediately drove back home. I ran into the house and ran up into my room, not really caring about Margaret or Kayla.

I opened up the medium sized book and labeled each page from one to twenty. Taping the first one to the first page, and the sixth one to the sixth page.

I sighed. How am I going to find all of these? There's eighteen left to go. Ughhh! If I could tell Kaylie everything... without Kayla telling Margaret.

At the moment I knew that Dad didn't wanna marry Margaret, they knew each other since elementary school and that was it.

The next day at school, I saw Ryan.

I waved to him and he began, "Why'd you leave me yesterday? You just let Kayla grab me to lunch. She would not let go of me until we sat at the table, I told her to look the other way, and that was when I could leave."

"Sorry. Yesterday was just not my day. All a blur to me. But I'm okay now."

He laughed and we met eyes. We just kept looking at each other and his face started coming towards me. It came closer and closer and I slightly backed away, then he reached his hands towards my forehead. He slid something out of my bangs and laughed, "There was a humongous fuzzy thing in your hair and it was just annoying me."

I laughed at embarassment and touched my bangs. "Thanks."

"So lunch? If you leave me with Kayla again, I don't think we can be friends."

"Yeah, I have lunch now. But I think Peter and Daniella are in the library studying."

"And Tory's at soccer practice. Soccer athletes had a half day today cause college scholars are coming or something."

I nodded and he continued, "Well... Just the two of us, I guess?"

I rolled my eyes and slightly tapped him, "Let's go."