My So Called Cinderella Life

Mr. Alfred

At school during lunch time, Peter, Daniella, Kaylie and I sat down in the circular table as usual. Tory was his halftime soccer practice and Ryan was still on his tour.

I was texting Ryan every day since he had texted me every day; he said he wanted to call, but that couldn't happen cause of Kayla.

At lunch, I was texting him and just kept smiling.

Daniella threw a straw at me, "Alright. Spill. Do you like Sheckler or not?"

I looked up and blushed. I slightly wandered my eyes around and just kept looking back at my phone.

Kaylie and Peter said in unison, "Definitley does."

I sighed loudly, "He's just nice."

"Nice enough for you to like him." Daniella joked. I rolled my eyes and Peter continued, "I'm okay with Sheckler though. He's only had one girlfriend in his life which was Tammy. He's not that much of a player."

"Not like you?" I joked. Daniella and I looked back at Kaylie and she had her head down.

Peter shrugged, "Not anymore."

Daniella snickered, "You were like... three days ago?"

"Topic change please? Tease Marisa about Sheckler first."

Daniella laughed, "Well he's gonna be back by the time of the dance on Saturday. Should we play matchmaker?"

I threw a fork at her. "No! No matchmaker playing will be involved. I just think he's nice. I'm sure he doesn't think anything. Ever heard of friends?"

Daniella and Peter imitated me. They took out their phones and pretended to text, and they put on a fake smile. Kaylie cracked up and I glared at her.

Kaylie sighed, "Marisa. If you like him just admit it. Ryan is nice, I'm sure any girl would fall for him."

"Would that include you?" Peter came out asking. I saw Kaylie blushed and pouted her mouth. She began, "No... I think he's nice... But he's not my type."

I raised my eyebrows at Peter quickly before drinking my coke.

"Did you tell Sheckler you're going to the dance?" Peter asked. I shook my head, "If I can get away with this, I don't think I'm telling anybody I'm going to the dance besides you guys. Then again, I don't think it's going to happen also."

"Oh girl, it's happening." Daniella snarled. I continued, "Well if you can make it happen... Just please don't tell anyone that I'm going, promise?"

I looked at the three of them and they all nodded in agreement. I continued, "Besides. I'm embarassed by the fact that I have to wear a dress. And this dance is in three days, how am I gonna get one with Kayla and Margaret on the lookout?"

Daniella and Peter stayed quiet. Kaylie smiled, "I have one for you."

We all looked at her. Kaylie continued, "It's at my aunt's house. But it'll look perfect on you, Marisa. I'll get it for you before the dance this weekend."

I sighed, "I still think you guys are insane."

"We want you to be happy." Peter said. I groaned and continued texting Ryan. I couldn't stop thinking about Ryan. He was so cute. And I still couldn't find out where I had seen him before. Because the more I saw him everyday, the more he looked familiar.

"What are you think about, Riss? Sheckler?" Peter teased. I pushed him and sighed, "I am. But not that way. Ryan just looks very familiar to me. Seems like I've seen him before... but I can't make it out."

I drank my coke further and Peter said, "Dude. I warned you. You're gonna get a cold drinking iced drinks all the time. Temperature's dropping."

"I'll be fine."

Daniella smiled, "Oh you didn't know! Ryan was..."

Then Kayla came down and sat with us and we all put our heads down. She made a frowny face like she knew she was not wanted at the moment.

She blushed, "What are you guys talkin' about?"

"Old memories. Kaylie answered. Peter smiled, "Marisa. Remember the time when we were in like 3rd grade and you wore a bunny costume to school?"

I put my hand on my forehead, "Oh my god... Why'd you bring that up?"

Kayla laughed, "You actually came to school with a bunny costume on? Wow, what a loser."

Peter continued, "Nah. It was actually funny. I wasn't even friends with you that time and I remember laughing at you like crazy. I do remember you crying... and this one kid was so nice to you. Man, great times. You remember?"

"How can I forget?" I said sarcastically pushing him.

Kayla started, "Oh... Mom has company coming over on Sunday so you need to like sharpen the house this weekend. Especially on Saturday, make sure there's not a spot."

We all looked at her and she froze. Kaylie began, "But... Um, the dance is Saturday."

Kayla looked at all of us, "Does that effect Marisa?" I looked down and she chuckled, "You weren't actually planning to go to the dance right? You know Mom's not letting that happen."

I sighed and shook my head, "Why would I go?"

"Well... Good. Don't forget. Saturday... major cleaning needs to get done."

I nodded and Kayla continued to talk to Peter, "Peter. Is Ryan going to the dance?"

Peter nodded his head, "Most likely. He's coming back Friday anyway." She shrugged and smiled, "Goody!"

I was actually starting to feel a little jealous that there were two girls onto Ryan.

During Mr. Alfred's AP Stats class, Tory played with my hair like five times and I just kept shrugging my shoulders.

After class, while we were packing our bags, Tory complained, "You're really going to the dance?"

"I have errands to do. Kayla and Margaret expect to clean the house for their guests."

He shook his head, "Alright... Well that stinks. I don't really have a reason to go either anymore."

I pouted my mouth and pushed him. It seems like Tory liked me. I had that feeling. But I had no idea. Just the atmosphere when I was with him, seemed like he was always flirting with me. Before I left the classroom, Mr. Alfred called me. I became a bit intimidated because no one was in the room and he pulled down the shade on the door.

"I figured out where I know you."

I pulled my bangs out of my face giving him a puzzled look. "You're Paul's daughter, right?"

My eyes widened. He knew Dad!

"I remember holding you all the time when you were a newborn. Man, your face has not changed. I remember telling Paul that he had to most adorable daughter ever and she was going to grow up to be beautiful like her mother. I was right."

I slightly smiled, "You knew Mom?"

He nodded, "Oh... Man, if your mom wasn't into Paul, I probably would have gotten her first. She was beautiful. But yeah, Paul, Kat and I were really good friends since we were born. What a small world."

I just smiled cause I didn't know what to say. Mr. Alfred continued, "I was extremely sad I wasn't able to make it to his funeral. I made it to Kat's, but you were just a little girl, probably couldn't remember anything. But there was a time span where I went to study abroad in England, and didn't keep in touch with your dad at all. The time I came back, he was already gone. Probably cried for days."

I just smiled.

Should I tell him about the notes? Did he know Margaret?

I blurted, "Did you know who Margaret was?"

He smirked, "Margaret? Philly, maybe?"

I shrugged. "Well... I don't really know how to tell you. Dad got remarried... to Margaret Phillips..."

"Whoa. Margaret Phillips? Are you sure?"

I joked, "I know my own step-mom very well."

He put his hands on his chin and pouted his mouth. Just then Kayla came in and I groaned quietly... WHY... WHY... WHY?!

She looked between Mr. Alfred and I and she greeted him. "Hey Mr. A."

"Hi Kayla."

I looked at Mr. Alfred and concluded, "I should go."

"Take it easy kiddo." He said patting my back. Before he went to his desk, I whispered, "Can you not tell anyone about this yet?" I had to make it short but I made very glaring eyes at him and he nodded and I knew he understood.

This scavenger hunt may have gotten a little bit easier for me.