My So Called Cinderella Life

The Rules

I woke up at exactly 6. I took a shower, got dressed and then straightened my hair. I called Peter at 6:45 to ask if he could pick me and Kaylie up earlier, and he was perfectly fine with that. Kaylie and I left the house by 7:00 and Kayla hadn't even gotten up yet.

Peter was already waiting in the driveway and when he saw me he got out of the car... "Marisa!" He shouted.

"Heyy..." I greeted. Peter and Kaylie greeted and Peter continued, "We should get going. I see Kayla's lights just went on."

Kaylie and I both looked up and jumped into Peter's car. He quickly backed out of the driveway and we were off.

"What time did you sleep last night? You look exhausted." Peter started.

"I finished Kayla's homework at 12:30 last night and by the time I fell asleep, I would probably say 1 in the morning."

Peter turned to Kaylie, "You could always hint your sister to not give Rissa too much homework."

I interupted, "You don't know how many times Kaylie tries to stop me from doing Kayla's homework. But it's really impossible."

"I'm sorry Marisa." Kaylie said softly. I smiled, "It's okay. All I can do is look at the brightside and say that I am getting good karma in the future."

We all laughed.

We got breakfast at a pancake diner before actually going to school because we had like an hour to kill. I heard my phone ringing and it was Kayla. My eyes grew wider and I looked at Kaylie. "What should I do?"

Kaylie smiled. "Give me the phone."

I handed Kaylie the phone and she picked it up. "Hello?"

Kaylie just smiled at me and continued the conversation with her sister. "Kay. Marisa left her phone with me........... We got an early start to school because Peter and I were gonna give her a tour around............. She's in the bathroom?........... Well, we couldn't wait because we had to leave at 7 sharp.......... How about you just take the bus? Cause I don't think Peter wants to go back to get you." And then she hung up.

She handed me back the phone and chuckled. "All's done. If I say something about Peter not wanting to pick her up again, she'll back off."

"Thanks." I replied. Peter, sitting next to me, slightly looked at Kaylie, who was sitting across from us and smiled. Kaylie then slightly looked at Peter and looked down.

All I was doing at looking at them both just wondering what was going on.

Before arriving to school, Kaylie tapped Peter, "You think you can drop me off at the library? My teacher wanted to meet us in the library before going out to do a lab."

"Yeah sure." Peter took a right up the hill and parked in front of the library. Kaylie got out of the car and talked to me at the window.

"Are you guys going anywhere after school?"

Peter answered, "We were gonna hit the new skateboarding park that just opened up... so if you wanted to come with us..."

"Yeah, I'll go with you guys. Just have Marisa text me. Bye guys!" Kaylie said, and ran off.

Peter smiled and turned around. I looked at him and he stopped smiling and drove to the school parking.

I started, "Okay. It just hit me."

"What just hit you?"

"Sickness."

"What? You're gonna be sick?"

"I am entering high school for the first time, during senior year. That's not usual."

Peter laughed. "Dude, you scared me. You're gonna be fine! People here are nice. There are just a few people who are like your two stepsisters."

I hit him and sighed. I put my head against the head seat and saw everyone walking up to the campus doors, with their friends.

Peter continued, "Plus. You're easy to make friends with. You'll be friends with people in no time."

I closed my eyes and prayed. Peter just kept laughing. While I was closing my eyes, I hit Peter reallyyyyy hard.

Peter continued talking, "Oh and you might wanna keep your skateboard in the car. I know you like carrying it around but if girls skate around here, it usually means they're a lesbian."

I opened my eyes. "Are you serious? That's a humongo stereotype."

I got my skateboard in the back and held it. "I don't like stereotypes."

"You're not afraid of people thinking you like girls..."

"Do I look a tomboy?"

Peter shrugged, "You've gotten a lot better. At least you wear shorts now."

I looked at him and hugged onto my skateboard. I have two most prized possessions and those two belonged to Dad. Before Dad passed away, he gave a me his locket that contained his picture and Mom's picture, both on different sides in a heart. When he gave it to me, he said, "I still love you no matter what. I love you the most. I don't want you thinking that I have a new wife and three new daughters, that I love them more. You and your mother are my world." So I always wear it with me, but I hide it inside my shirts because I was always afraid of Margaret, Kate or Kayla taking it away from me. And the skateboard. At the hospital, the doctor's said the only thing that they could keep was Dad's skateboard. At first they were gonna throw it away because it was all damaged up, but they wanted to keep in case his daughter wanted it. And they were right, I did.

I hit Peter again. "Let's go. Nothing can get worst than seeing Kayla here anyway."

Peter got out of the car first and I followed. We stood beside each other and I sighed once more. Peter asked, "Ready?"

I smiled, "Ready!"

Before we even entered the door, I think Peter said hi to almost everyone. Half of them looked at me weirdly and the other half greeted me really nicely. I still didn't appreciate the stereotype of skateboarding girls being lesbian here.

We continued walking and I turned to him, "You're popular here, aren't you? You must be embarassed walking with me? I should go... No, if I go... Where do I go? What if I get lost? What if I like bump into a glass door?"

"Riss... Riss! Calm down.... Breathe..." Peter said as he touched my shoulders. "You need to relax. Yes, I have a lot of friends but you can make some, trust me. In no time, you'll have more friends that your stepsister has here. And you will get used to the school. It's easy. Don't even worry about it."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes... Now breathe. And sit." Peter and I sat on the cememt railings of the stairs that lead the main entrance of the campus. I began, "So do people usually just hang out here before class?"

"Usually, yes. Cause it's not raining and it gets the feel of not going to class, when you're on the campus."

I smiled and I looked up to see Kayla walking up towards us. "Oh dear lord."

"Sissy!!" She yelled out coming out to me. Peter smiled and got off the railing, "Be right back... gotta run away from your step sis."

"Pete... Come back here!" I tried pulling his shirt but he ran away before I could grab him.

Kayla arrived, "Where's Peter going?"

"Um... Getting... my schedule."

She laughed, "Such a sweet guy." Then she continued, "Listen, step sis... Just cause you go here now doesn't mean you can like act like you own the school. And you can't act like we're sisters."

"When do we ever act like were sisters?" I interupted.

She pouted her mouth at me and continued, "Well... that includes Kaylie as well. Wait, why am I telling you all of this? I wrote it down."

"What exactly did you write down?" I asked becoming scared.

She sighed, "Well. Basically all the rules for you in this school."

"You're serious? You wrote down the rules... are you like six?"

"You know I can always tell my mother that you're being like this to me miss tomboy."

I grunted. "Just hand me whatever you wrote on." Handing my hand towards her. She slapped the paper on my hands and I unfolded it to read it.

This was absolutely ridiculous.

Number 1. Act like you don't know Kaylie and me. We don't want a tomboy as our stepsister. (First off, Kaylie won't go through with that, and I am not a tomboy!)
Number 2. Don't mess with the guys that we like
(Which would be like every single guy)
Number 3. Don't do so good in school. In any way, you still have to stay under our roof.
(That's just ridiculous)
Number 4. Just be the loser that you already are.

I sighed. "You're serious?"

"If you don't wanna go through with it, I can always just tell tale on my mother."

I sighed very loudly and crumpled the paper. "I'll go with it." Even though, I really wasn't going to.

Peter came back and she greeted him. "Peter! Hi!"

"Hey..." He said silently. He passed by her and her upset face came on. Then she pointed at me and walked away.

"What was that all about?"

"If you know, you might wanna hurt her."