Status: Done.

Imaginary Tape Across Your Mouth

1/1

“Fuck,” Gerard muttered as he tripped and fell into the puddle that spanned across the road. His papers were now scattered across the road, soaked and ruined. Gerard scrambled to pick them up, then a pair of tattoo hands reached down and scooped them up. The hands held the papers out to him and Gerard accepted them gratefully as he stood up.

Gerard eyes followed the falling tattooed arm up to a young looking boy, he couldn't be more than sixteen. The boys kept his head down as he moved past Gerard. “Thanks,” Gerard called after him but the boy did nothing.

Confused Gerard jogged his way to work nearly late for his meeting. He was unable to get that mysterious boy out of his head. As he gave his presentation in his mud covered slacks, while holding his soggy papers and diagrams. As he spoke his mind wandered, the practiced words flowing out of his mouth without fault.

When he finished murmurs were exchanged between the board and he was waved out after the moment of discussion.
---
Frank licked his chapped lips as he moved quickly away from the guy. He knew for a fact that he should have been polite and say 'You're Welcome', but his voice was ugly and made everyone turn away from him. He knew it was true, it was why his mother never loved him and his father abandoned him.

He never had any friends in school and he was always thought to be socially inept. No one even tried to talk to him, or even include him in anything. They avoided Frank like he was the Plague.

Frank shivered at the thought of talking, which made it very hard for him to get a job. He had to live off the money left to him by his parents, which sadly wasn't much.

He ducked into his house, which he also inherited, it was old and dilapidated. Frank went into the kitchen and opened his fridge. Reaching in he pulled out what seemed to be leftovers from a week ago. Silently sighing he tossed them into the trash, along with the rest of the rotten contents in the fridge, leaving behind a couple of egg and a quarter of a gallon of milk. He bit his lip before hip bumping the fridge closed. He grabbed a glass of water, then took a piece of paper and a pen and started scratching out a grocery list.

Now and then he would chew on the edge of his pen as he looked around, trying to see what else he would need that wouldn't cost much, he had to live on the money he had.

Finally finished, he pocketed the list and went out the door for the second time that day, though this time for a reason. He turned the corner and headed for the grocery store.


Gerard walked out and down the street and decided to go to the grocery store to pick something up for dinner. He walked into the grocery store and started to walk around, past the produce section. After a thought he walked to the deli and ordered a pound of honey ham. As they cut the ham he looked around and saw the boy again, looking highly frustrated. He went over and placed a hand lightly on his shoulder, making him jump.

“Hi,” Gerard said, “Sorry to startle you. Aren't you that kid that helped me earlier?”

Frank nodded, shying back from Gerard a bit. Frank looked forward as his number was called. His tongue flicked over his lips, a sheen of sweat began to form. Frank opened his mouth, but was unable to say anything.

Gerard realizing this peeked over Franks shoulder, “Provolone cheese, a pound.”

“Th-th-th-thank you.” Frank stuttered, speaking for the first time in months, his hand covered his mouth, horrified at the sound that came out.

“You're welcome,” Gerard thought for a moment while he watched the boy turn away.

“Sir,” He heard, “Sir!” Came the call louder.

“What?” Gerard turned around.

“Your Ham.” the deli person said holding out the package.

“Oh thanks.” He grabbed it, while he watched Frank grab his form the other person. “You know,” Gerard started, “If you really want you could write down what you want to say, and I'll be your mouth piece.”

“What, d-d-do ya mean?” Frank silently cursed under his breath. This guys he was talking to sprouted poetry, and he just failed at talking. He was never good at anything.

“Come on,” Gerard beckoned. He paid for both their purchases, much to Frank's discontent and led them next door to the office supply store. Brought them down one aisle with Expo markers and mini white boards. “Write what you want to say on here.”

“I dunno you,” Frank sobbed, as the horrible word he was spewing flew from his mouth.

“When was the last time you had a conversation with someone?” Gerard asked, somehow just knowing the answer.

Frank remained silent.

“Exactly. The fates brought us together for some reason.” Gerard placed a finger gently under the younger boy's chin and looked into his brown-green orbs.

“B-b-but I dunno your name.” Frank stuttered as tears flowed freely down his cheeks.

“It's Gerard. What about your's, sugar?”

“F-f-frank,” He replied.

“Well Frank, why don't you move into the upstairs apartment of my house. I need a tenant.” Gerard said, as he pulled some other supplies off the shelves.

“What's the rent?” Frank asked. He wanted to live somewhere, that wasn't the seemingly desolate place he lived now.

“There isn't any,” Gerard replied absentmindedly, “I like you.” He slid a box off the shelf a smile on his face. “There you are!”

“What's the catch?”

“I get to see your pretty face everyday.”

Frank nodded as he locked eyes with Gerard, “Okay,” He finally said after a long silence.

“Good, this set up will ensure, that you can still communicate. But also have what seems like imaginary tape across that pretty little mouth of yours.”