Albus Potter and the Healing Springs

Chapter 11: Train Tracks

“I knew the name sounded familiar,” asserted Alex. “I can’t believe I forgot her from the books of the first and second Wizarding War!”
 
“It seems as though Bella’s mother was an evil murderer, and you still claim that she is such a saint,” teased Ronnie.
 
Albus didn’t think she was a saint anymore, but he didn’t have strong negative feelings towards her either. He liked her, and all of this was shocking.
 
“Wait. That says she died in the second war. That was like 20 years ago! Bella can’t be that lady’s daughter,” he argued.
 
“Um- I wouldn’t be surprised if Bella lied about her age. She’s probably disguised and is here to murder us all!” yelled Ronnie which made Madame Prince ask the four of them to leave the library, even though it was empty.
 
She just wanted time alone, Albus thought.
 
He had heard before that Madame Prince supposedly had a relationship with Filch. As they left, they all decided to go to The Great Hall for lunch.
 
The conversation continued and Alex added, “as preposterous as it sounds, I do think you should stay away from her, Albus. You’re from a famous family and she’s from an infamous family.”
 
“You don’t have any proof, though!” snapped Albus.
 
“Why don’t you guys just ask her?” requested Johnny.
 
Everyone looked at him as though this was the worst possible idea. They were all dying to know, but asking Bella herself would be a terrible idea. Who knows how she would react.
 
“Bella’s a very mean person. I’d rather we not try to talk to her about this,” commented Alex. “Agreed?”
 
Albus and Ronnie nodded. Johnny added “Suit yourselves” with a shrug.
 
The trio went to the Gryffindor table, and Johnny went to the Hufflepuff table to sit with Pagan Cowell.
 
A few minutes into their feast, Professor McGonagall stood up.
 
“I am so proud of all of you for being brave during this troublesome time at Hogwarts. I hope you all have a wondrous holiday break, and please continue to focus on your school work once you return. That is all, and happy Christmas!” she announced to the Great Hall. Everyone clapped excitedly.
 
“Have you thought about telling McGonagall yet?” asked Alex.
 
“I think we just need something else,” confessed Albus.
 
“Oh, like proof?” joked Ronnie. “I’m sure it’ll all be okay.”
 
After the feast, everyone returned to their common rooms. Whether they were doing some last minute packing or saying goodbye to their friends, they were definitely busy.
 
No one was as busy as Albus, though. He had to leave his friends in the common room, and stayed up in his dormitory. Some “last minute packing”, he persuaded his friends. In reality, he was getting some last minute presents.
 
It was way too late to order anything. Ronnie had already written letters, so what was left for him? He rummaged through his things and could only find quills and paper.
 
Maybe it was the stress, or pure creativity finally hit him, but whatever it was, it got him to start drawing. He was never great at drawing, but he was decent. He drew himself, Ronnie, and Alex, the two best friends he made this year. Then he drew the trio along with Johnny sitting underneath their favorite tree. They weren’t the best drawings, but it was apparent that he put a lot of effort into making them.
 
Lastly, he drew his family, kind of like a family photo. He drew himself with his siblings and parents, happy like they used to be. How he hoped they would stay. Drawing took all his stress away, and he seemed to have forgotten all his troubles. Even thinking of his family as he drew them didn’t bother him or make him any more nervous for tomorrow.
 
Before he knew it, Alex walked in which must have meant it was time to go to bed. Albus hid the drawings in his bag before Alex could notice them.
 
Surprisingly, even Jake Webster came to bed at the right time. His shoes were soiled with mud, and he wasn’t wearing a cloak, but he just ignored Albus and Alex and hopped into bed.
 
“It’s pretty cold. Why don’t you have a cloak?” asked Albus.
 
“Because I don’t feel like wearing it.”
 
“Or because you lost it in the Forbidden Forest!”
 
“How do you know!” snapped Webster whose eyes darted at Albus.
 
“Because we found it,” said Alex as he threw the burnt cloak at Jake Webster.
 
“You better not be the reason for what happened to Taylor Jones or that Blast Ended Skrewt!” Albus accused.
 
“Yeah, sure. Blame me. I couldn’t care less,” said Webster as he closed the curtains in his four poster bed.
 
Alex patted Albus on the back and whispered, “He’s not worth you getting angry.”
 
Albus couldn’t help the anger, though. All the clues pointed to Jake Webster, and he acts like nothing matters. It was unlike Albus to have confronted Webster in the first place, so he just left it at that. He wanted so badly to report him to McGonagall now that he knows the cloak did belong to him.
 
Alex got into bed and almost immediately fell asleep. Albus did his last minute packing, and then did the same. That night, he didn’t have any nightmares.
 
* * *
 
The next morning was a big commotion. Everyone was saying their last minute goodbyes before hurrying onto the Hogwarts Express. Breakfast was served beforehand, and everyone rushed their food so they wouldn’t miss the train.
 
Quite a few people weren’t leaving, however, and among those people was Johnny.
 
“I wanted to give you guys your presents now, since I won’t be on the train,” he said as he handed each of them a bag of candy.
 
“Yay! Snacks for the train ride! You’re the best!” exclaimed Ronnie.
 
Albus and Alex thanked him wholeheartedly before pocketing the sacks. Albus had his drawings in his bag, ready to show everyone.
 
Jake Webster walked by and made fun of the three Gryffindors for hanging with a Hufflepuff. Ronnie’s quick retort had his scurrying off while Alex started handing out the remainder of his gifts. He gave Albus and Johnny boxes. Johnny opened his first, and inside it was a golden bracelet.
 
“Wow! This is brilliant! Thank you!” said Johnny with a smile.
 
“You’re welcome,” replied Alex. “I’m glad you like it. Albus open yours now.”
 
Albus opened his box anxiously. Inside, he found a golden model of an owl that was about six inches tall.
 
“I know you don’t have a pet, and you’re always sending letters so I thought an owl would suit you. If you had one, it sure would be helpful, too,” said Alex eagerly.
 
“Yup. My owl, Apollo, sure is,” added Johnny.
 
“Thank you so much! I love it!” said Albus admirably as he looked as his present.
 
“Okay, my turn!” exclaimed Ronnie. “Here, I wrote you guys some letters.”
 
Albus grabbed his letter and read it to himself as his two friends did theirs. Ronnie waited with an eager face for their feedback.
 
“Dear Albus,
 
I haven’t known you for that long, but we’ve already gone through so much together! At the end of the day, through all the arguing and teasing, I really do care about you. You and Alex are the first real friends I’ve ever had. So I guess you are my best friends automatically, huh? Well I hope you have a very happy Christmas because you deserve it, and I can’t wait for us to have more good times to come in the future.
 
Love always,
Ronnie”
 
“That was beautiful, Ronnie. Thank you,” said Alex along while Johnny thanked her.
 
“Did you like it?” Ronnie asked Albus.
 
“Of course I liked it. It was great. Thank you,” said Albus before moving on and pulled his drawings out from his bag.
 
“This one is the three of us, and this one is us at our favorite spot in the courtyard. I know it’s not much-“
 
“It’s amazing! Hey! I didn’t know you could draw!” approved Ronnie, while munching on her gift from Johnny already.
 
“I didn’t either,” confessed Albus with a laugh.
 
After the four friends shared their gifts and had their laughs, they parted ways. Johnny went back to where Albus assumed was the Hufflepuff common room. The trio got their luggage and followed the rest of the students leaving the castle. After leaving castle grounds and finally reaching the train station, everyone was eager to hop aboard and greet their families after months of separation.
 
Albus no longer had all three of his drawings, but rather just one. Ronnie kept one, and Johnny kept the other. Alex offered for them both to take it. The one that Albus still had was of course the one of his family. He was nervous to see them again after so long and after the discovery of his father’s legacy. Nonetheless, he missed them terribly.
 
The trio got a compartment to themselves. Albus kept admiring his gift from Alex. A golden owl. Maybe now he would ask his parents to get him an owl. Secretly, he now hoped they got him one for Christmas even though he never asked for one or even mentioned wanting a pet.
 
“I’m really glad you guys enjoyed your gifts,” said Alex gleefully. “I really enjoyed what you guys made for me.”
 
“No problem,” said Ronnie while still eating her candy.
 
“I’m so excited to come back home to my parents and Peeky!” exclaimed Alex.
 
“I wish I had a pet! I don’t know what I’d get though. I don’t want something typical or normal,” said Ronnie.
 
“No surprise coming from a girl who isn’t normal,” spat Bella as she passed their compartment. Patricia and Isabella both started laughing immediately.
 
“Wow! You really don’t want to start with me, Lestrange!” yelled Ronnie. “You think you’re so amazing. I always fail to understand why!”
 
Alex sat there nervously, looking like he was at a loss for words. Albus stood up instead.
 
“Bella, will you just stop?” he said flatly. It took a lot out of him to go up against Bella, but Ronnie was one of his best friends and a lot more important.
 
“So Potter finally had something to say, I see,” snapped Bella. “Something other than obsessing over me.” Patricia and Isabella started laughing uncontrollably.
 
It’s not even that funny, Albus thought.
 
“At least I have a family to go to!” argued Ronnie. “Your evil mother is dead!”
 
“What- What are you talking about?!” yelled Bella, taken aback. “You know nothing.”
 
“We know about your mother, Bellatrix Lestrange. I see you’ve been named after her. I guess all evil people need to have the same disgusting name,” retorted Ronnie.
 
“Haha, you certainly do know NOTHING,” snapped Bella. “Bellatrix Lestrange is my grandmother. Although I do wish she was my real mother. I do have a family to go home to, just not my pathetic real one.”
 
Bella slammed their compartment door as she and her friends left. Ronnie was so heated; she even dropped some of her candy.
 
“Here, let me help you pick it up,” offered Alex.
 
“Thanks,” said Ronnie, and then she looked at Albus. “And thank you, too, for sticking up for me.”
 
“What are best friends for?” replied Albus with a smirk.
 
Ronnie definitely had a soft side, even though it wasn’t always shown. Since she got into another argument with Bella, they had new information. She was related to the notorious Bellatrix Lestrange, just not as closely as they’d thought.
 
What she said, though, “I do have a family to go to, just not my pathetic real one” had Albus thinking. What did she mean? Since there was no way he could figure it out, the rest of the train ride home consisted of telling each other about their home lives.
 
Alex recounted about how he lived in a manor and didn’t want to show off and that was the reason he never told them. He shared stories about all the fights he’d get into with Gabriel, and about Rafael, his two brothers. He also told them about how he doesn’t see his dad as much because of his job, but he did have a close relationship with his mum.
 
Ronnie told her friends about how she lived in a suburb with her parents. She told them about how surprised her parents were to find out she was a witch. They quickly accepted her, though, because it wasn’t the only thing out of the ordinary about her. She then complained about being an only child and how she desperately wanted a pet.
 
Lastly, Albus reminisced about his big family and discussed their jobs. His friends seemed interested to hear about Harry. Alex must have told Ronnie about his legacy, but Albus couldn’t go into that since he himself didn’t know much about it. Every time James was mentioned, Ronnie gave a disgusted look which made everyone laugh.
 
Even though the train ride started with an argument with Bella, it was all smooth sailing from then on.
 
When the train stopped, the trio gave their last goodbyes and hugs. Alex got off the train first and ran over to his family. His mum had long dirty blonde hair that was tied up. She was wearing a purple dress and a black jacket. His dad had short black hair, tan skin, and a beard. He was dressed in fancy clothing as well. Along with them was his brother Gabriel who had spiked up black hair, and was dressed in red. In a stroller was his baby brother Rafael.
 
Alex waved goodbye and his family did the same at Albus and Ronnie. They then walked away into a black car. Ronnie and Albus were still looking for their parents.
 
Albus looked around until he heard James yelling for him. He evidently found them first. They were with Rose and her family. This reminded Albus of when they first departed to Hogwarts back in September.
 
“Would you like to meet them?” he asked.
 
“Sure!” answered Ronnie.
 
They walked up to his family and he was greeted with big hugs. It was nice to know he was missed. Albus then introduced them to Ronnie, and they seemed to like her, even though James just looked annoyed the entire time.
 
“Sorry, but I have to keep looking for my parents, so I hope you talk to you guys soon! Have a nice vacation, Albus!” exclaimed Ronnie as she ran off to look for her parents.
 
“I’m glad you made such good friends, dear,” said mum.
 
“Yeah. Me, too,” replied Albus.
 
The reuniting with his family seemed to be a lot less uncomfortable than he anticipated. His dad even had his arm wrapped around him as they walked off to their car.
 
Even though it wasn’t awkward, Albus couldn’t help but feel nervous. He dreaded the conversation that was eventually going to come.
 
When they finally made it to their car, leaning at the side was someone he hadn’t seen in years. Just like he last remembered her, she had long flowing blonde hair with a pale complexion. Fresh in her naturalist exploring gear, she had a stare that seemed unfocused.
 
“Hello, Albus. You seem a bit disoriented,” bluntly said Luna. “Are you nervous about something? I suspect you’ve found Nargles?”