Albus Potter and the Healing Springs

Chapter 18: The Disguise

It truly was an extraordinary sight to see. What Albus had lost hope in finding was now right in front of him. He knew that this place had to be the Healing Springs.
 
"I can't believe we've found it!" exclaimed Albus. 
 
"You think this is-" started Ronnie. 
 
"It has to be," he interrupted. "This is the Healing Springs!" 
 
"But I thought you said Dumbledore denied he made it," reminded Alex. 
 
"Then, I guess he didn't have a part in it," retorted Albus. 
 
"But the books," insisted Alex. "They said it was discovered by the Dumbledores."
 
"I guess Albus Dumbledore never knew of it, and Aberforth did," argued Albus. "Clearly, this is it right in front of us. It doesn't matter what the books said!"
 
Their conversation was cut short by the Monster’s loud screeching. It had slow violent movement and was focused on Professor Slughorn. Professor Slughorn was moving quickly, hopping on some stones in the lake to get to the fountain.
 
The fountain directly in the center of the lake was spewing out water consistently. The actual spring looked quite formed but was made out of rock. Professor Slughorn seemed to be taking samples of it in a cauldron. The lake was connected to twelve subsections with led to puddles.
 
"Okay. Stay calm," Ronnie sighed, exasperated. "We need to leave."
 
"No, we can't!" argued Alex. "We have to get some of the water. What about Johnny?!"
 
"Johnny won't be able to get it anyways if the Monster eats you alive!" replied Ronnie.
 
She pushed Alex and Albus back into the path along with herself, but then Fireheart soared past them into the Springs and flew towards the Monster. 
 
The Monster started screeching and swiping at the air, but Fireheart swiftly dodged its arms. 
 
"What do we do? I'm sure it'll come after us," whispered Alex. "What about Fireheart?" 
 
"No one told him to fly right at that thing!" argued Ronnie. "I'm not sure there's much we can do!" 
 
The Monster stopped swiping and curled up on the floor. It looked extremely mad, yet hurt. 
 
"What's wrong with it?" enquired Albus. 
 
"How am I supposed to know?" spat Ronnie. "Who cares?! Let's get out of here!" 
 
"We can't just leave Webster here to die!" argued Albus. "He obviously isn't controlling that thing."
 
"He's right," Alex confessed. "Anyways, we do need this water for Johnny." 
 
"And all the other victims," remembered Ronnie. 
 
Suddenly, from all openings of the Springs, dozens upon dozens of phoenix's all flew into the scene. Fireheart joined them in the air and became indistinguishable. 
 
"Now’s our chance!" yelled Albus and he began to run down the slope. 
 
With the Monster dealing with all the phoenixes in the air, Albus knew it wouldn't notice three kids running along the cave walls. There were twelve openings along the walls that coincided with the twelve puddles connected to the lake. 
 
Albus was at the fifth opening. Ronnie and Alex were still along the third when the Monster saw them. It tried to fly, but failed. 
 
"Get inside!" yelled Albus as he entered the opening to stay clear of the monster. 
 
They followed his example, and the Monster started spewing fire balls from its mouth. 
 
Albus pressed his body against the wall, hesitating as he considered following this opening and hopefully leave this place. 
 
Wimp, he called himself. You can't do that! I won't. 
 
But he had no idea what he could do. The fire balls were barely missing the openings, so, luckily, they were safe. At least, he hoped his friends were okay since he hadn't heard any screams. 
 
"Please, stop!" begged Professor Slughorn in a hoarse voice. "I think I've finished. Leave the kids alone."
 
"Locomotor Mortis!" yelled Alex as he pointed his wand at the Monster. Both its legs locked together and it fell to the ground.
 
Alex started to sprint down the slope as the Monster struggled to get back up. He slipped and slid down the rest of the slope until he made it to the bottom.
 
"Alex!" called Albus and Ronnie as they ran to catch up with him.
 
"The Monster can't walk! I’ll try to get some of the water!" Alex replied. 
 
"Be careful!" warned Ronnie as she and Albus were almost to the bottom of the slope. 
 
Alex approached the lake opposite of where the Monster was struggling to get up. Albus and Ronnie caught up with him. Albus looked into the water. Standing where he did, he could see that the lake was very deep.
 
"Too bad the stones are on the other side of the lake," raged Ronnie. 
 
"I don't know how we're going to get there," said Albus. 
 
All the birds were still flying around the top of the cave. Every now and then one would come and try to attack the Monster, but, even with its legs locked, it could still swipe with its enormous claws. 
 
"We need to drag Webster out of there; he's too close to the Monster," insisted Albus. 
 
"I'm not into the idea of risking my own life for his," complained Ronnie. 
 
"I don't think we'll have to. Look!" cried Alex as he pointed back at the opening of the cave from which they came from. 
 
Professor McGonagall was walking in and immediately wrapped the Monster in a ton of ropes, but it broke free quickly and grabbed the cauldron Slughorn made and drank it. 
 
While Albus was waiting to see the change on the beast, McGonagall made her way down.
 
"Horace, what are you doing here?!" questioned McGonagall. "I would have never suspected you."
 
"Minerva, it wasn't my fault!" he pleaded. "She made me do it. She tortured me." 
 
The Monster rose and its legs were no longer locked together. It spread its wings and covered its entire body. Suddenly, it shrank down into a woman. 
 
The Monster is actually a human? How could this be? Albus thought.
 
"I should've known you'd come ruin everything," said the woman as she stood up. She had long gray hair with hints of blonde. Her robes were dirty and ripped. Her pale skin looked rough as she attempted to smile.
 
"I - I thought you were dead," McGonagall gasped. 
 
"Who is she, Minerva?" questioned Professor Slughorn. 
 
"I am Leah Scalamay," she laughed. "I've been searching for the Dark Lord. You might remember me. I tried to kill you back in 1998." 
 
"A death eater?!" 
 
"Of course," continued Scalamay. "I became an animagus to hide from the ministry. I succeeded to an extent. My form may be horrendous but very helpful indeed. If it weren't for my animagus form, I would have never been freed from the Acontium Minotaurus I ran into. I would have never been able to take hold of this." 
 
She pulled out a red gem from her robes and Professor Slughorn sank to the ground and began to yell. 
 
"No more of this!" McGonagall yelled as she sent Scalamay across the room with a disarming spell. "Why did you attack my students?!"
 
"To distract you, of course! They were no use to me. I just needed to make sure you wouldn't spend all your time looking for Slughorn, and, in turn, finding me," confessed Scalamay. "When I attacked them, I sank my claws into them and spread the poison that was inflicted upon me by the Acontium Minotaurus!"
 
"You will never touch another one of my students ever again!" She yelled as she stood in front of the unconscious Webster for his protection. 
 
"I will not be made a fool anymore!" raged Scalamay as she pulled out her wand and sent numerous curses. 
 
"Why are you here?!" fumed McGonagall while deflecting everything Scalamay threw at her. 
 
"I needed to be healed of course. After all my travelling looking for the Dark Lord I became very informed of legends. More than of just these springs!" recounted Scalamay. "Along the way I found this gem, one of three, but it didn't come without a cost." 
 
Albus pulled Ronnie and Alex to the ground. Professor Slughorn was running up the slope attempting to escape, leaving all his things behind, including the cauldron. 
 
"We need to get the water, and go!" demanded Albus. "We can't stay here." 
 
"We can hardly move without being cursed!" argued Ronnie. 
 
"Wait. What happened to all the phoenixes?" questioned Albus as he looked to the ceiling. "There are only two left." 
 
"Fireheart!" yelled Alex, and Fireheart flew down to them weary of all the spells being thrown around by McGonagall and Scalamay. "Go grab Webster and take him to safety!" 
 
Fireheart obeyed the orders and grabbed Webster from behind McGonagall and quickly flew out of the cave. Professor Slughorn was long gone, and only Scalamay, McGonagall, the trio, and the remaining phoenix flying high above remained.
 
"Alex, do you have anything to put the water in?" asked Albus. "Is there anything in your bag?" 
 
"Yes, I have some tubes to put it in," he answered. "Do you think the lake has the healing powers?"
 
"Nope, there has to be a reason she waited for Slughorn to finish his potion. Otherwise she would have just jumped in the lake herself." 
 
Albus couldn't figure out why the water didn't work for Scalamay, but he wasn't going to take the risk that it might not work for them either. 
 
"Accio!" yelled Albus pointing his wand at the cauldron so it'd fly over to him. It was only a quarter full after the monster form of Scalamay drank so much. 
 
"So this is a mixture of a potion and the healing water?" asked Alex. "I hope it works."
 
"Well, it worked for her," Ronnie reminded. 
 
The last phoenix in the cave flew towards the trio and cried into the cauldron. The potion was a pale blue but it then turned completely clear.
 
“Oh, no! Fireheart!” Albus whined. “Do you still think it will work?”
 
“I think it will work better! Phoenix tears have healing properties,” Alex explained.
 
He quickly filled up five of his test tubes with the potion, and just in time because Scalamay then began to throw spells at them. 
 
"Children! Run!" yelled McGonagall.
 
"No! No one else will leave! I will not be captured!" shrieked Scalamay as she threw spells up above to the cave ceiling.
 
The phoenix flew over McGonagall, and all she said was "Fawkes!" before she had to make a shield around her and the phoenix, and they became piled by rocks. 
 
Albus, Ronnie and Alex each jumped into one of the small puddle shaped holes at the ends of the cave as huge rocks came hurtling down. 
 
For a second, everything was dark. When Albus opened his eyes, he saw his two friends a few yards away from him. The hole from which he jumped in was now covered by a rock.
 
He swam over to his friends and noticed all the surrounding holes were either covered by rocks or rocks were falling into them. The middle of the dark pool was a huge opening which above looked like its own lake, and all the connections of the lake and the puddles were either being covered or were spilling in rocks.
 
The rock formed fountain was being held up by a huge pillar alongside which were five other pillars that looked to Albus like floating stones. 
 
Alex blasted a hole into the surface above their heads for them to catch their breaths, but they couldn’t stay above the surface for too long for rocks were still hurtling down at them from up above. 
 
Suddenly, all the noise stopped and the trio swam over to the lake opening as quickly as possible. 
 
As Albus gasped for air once again, he noticed that McGonagall was free from under the rocks and Fawkes came and grabbed Albus whom Ronnie and Alex then held onto. The trio was flown out of the cave through a different opening from which they came as McGongall followed them. 
 
Leah Scalamay was nowhere to be found. 
 
* * *
 
Five test tubes full of healing water and four victims of Scalamay. Two tubes were sent to St. Mungos for Taylor Jones and Johnny, while Madame Pomfrey used one to cure Webster.
 
"I'll save one just in case we need it in the future," Alex whispered to his friends as he hid the last test tube. "And we need to get this last one to Hagrid for the Blast-Ended Skrewt."
 
"Potter, Cambridge, Greenfield, come with me, please," ordered McGonagall as she led the trio out of the hospital wing and to her office.
 
What was at first unknown corridors to Albus so many months ago were now familiar to him. He made his way past the statue of Fawkes, which was now being fixed and cleaned by Filch, and arrived at McGonagall's office with his friends.
 
"The Lost Diadem," said McGonagall and the gargoyle revolved itself into a staircase.
 
Upstairs, waiting in her office, was Albus' family. As soon as the door opened, he felt the embrace of his father’s arms.
 
"Dad, you can let go, I'm fine," Albus insisted.
 
"This is exactly what I was afraid of," groaned Dad. "Why did you get yourself into that mess?"
 
"Because bravery is in my blood," replied Albus with a smile. He then hugged his mother who was in tears.
 
"Your families have been notified as well," informed McGonagall to Alex and Ronnie. "You're all just lucky to be alive."
 
"I'm glad to be alive," giggled Ronnie.
 
"But wait, Professor," started Albus. "I don't fully understand what happened."
 
"Well, Potter, Leah Scalamay used to work for Voldemort. She said she was searching for him since his downfall, and that was many, many years ago," she recounted. "She evidently became an animagus and ran into Acontium Minotaurus, which are poisonous vines. They drain your magic from your peak, which means the highest level of magic you possess, until it is all gone and you die. That's why she's been able to hold out for so long with the poison while Jones and Willingham have not. Unfortunately, she's cured now, and who knows where she's gone. Also that gem she had, I have no idea what it was."
 
"And the Healing Springs?"
 
"Destroyed. Probably for the better, right, Albus?" McGonagall opinionated while walking towards the paintings of Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape.
 
"Precisely, Minerva," Dumbledore replied.
 
"But Dumbledore," started Albus. "You told me you didn't discover the Healing Springs."
 
"Yes, and that was nothing but the truth," he responded. "However, my phoenix, Fawkes, seemed to have created The Springs shortly after my death. Inhabiting the cave with phoenix's and contaminating the water with their healing tears, the water became more than natural, if you will. Sure enough, Fawkes shared this place with my brother whom sadly couldn't keep it a secret for long."
 
"But the water didn't work," said Albus. "Professor Slughorn had to make a potion in order for it."
 
"Water, too, becomes old, and their healing powers won't last so long in it. Horace was smart enough to make a healing potion and combine it with the water from the springs. But without help from one of the phoenix's the potion wouldn't be as strong as it was made for you," started Dumbledore. "I was informed that Scalamay drank his potion and was cured of her poison. However, she is not completely healed as she may think. The reason the potion from Mr. Greenfield's test tubes will work completely is because they have been purified by Fawkes."
 
"Such a good thing they were," replied Albus. "We wouldn't have even made it through the streams if it wasn't for Serena Churchill's phoenix, Fireheart."
 
"Oh yes, she is the one who came to me and led me to the springs. So many people tried to play the hero tonight, so unfortunate that one actually got hurt," added McGonagall.
 
"We're all fine, Professor," assured Ronnie.
 
"It's none of you, Cambridge," spat McGonagall. "We mustn't forget about Jake Webster."
 
"Wait. What was he doing there?" questioned Albus. "I still don't understand that."
 
"The same as you, I suppose," said McGonagall. "Hagrid came to me about your assumptions, and I now have put together that he simply wanted to save the day as well."
 
"Hagrid! I forgot," exclaimed Albus. "We need to go see Hagrid before it's too late."
 
Albus, Ronnie and Alex ran out of the office ignoring the protests from all the adults. There was absolutely no one in the hallways, especially no monster. But just in case, Albus took out his marauders map from Alex's bag to stay clear of anyone on their way to Hagrid's hut.
 
They sprinted down the hill and knocked obnoxiously on his door until he finally opened up.
 
"Oh Albus," he said. "Nice to see yer okay."
 
"Hagrid, we've brought some healing water for your Blast Ended-Skrewt."
 
"Thank you!" he said excitedly while scurrying them into his hut. "He's over here."
 
Alex took a vile from his bag and poured the water into the creature’s mouth. Almost immediately, it started to animatedly move and the trio backed away. Hagrid hugged the creature and started crying tears of joy.
 
"Yer wonderful. Wonderful!" Hagrid cried.
 
"It's no problem Hagrid," said Albus, "and I'm sorry about before. I hope we can forget that ever happened."
 
"Of cours' we can Albus," replied Hagrid as he hugged Albus tightly. "Thanks to you guys as well."
 
It was a big group hug, and Albus felt at peace. After all the commotion, all the mystery, finally came solutions, finally came relief. The hug was interrupted by McGonagall who came to tell Alex and Ronnie that their families were on their way.
 
"Let's go back to the common room," suggested Ronnie. "I need SLEEP!"
 
"Same," laughed Alex.
 
When they got to their common room, the door was being blocked off by five ministry agents who were wide awake unlike the one the trio encountered on their way out. Even James was being kept under control now that mum was sitting with him on a couch.
 
"Guess you aren't that much of a loser after all," James joked when Albus came over to him. "I'm still better than you though."
 
"Yeah, sure," Albus laughed off. "When was the last you time you faced a monster?"
 
"Alright, I'll give you that," he started. "But I heard she was actually an old lady anyways."
 
The two laughed and Albus made his way to his dormitory along with Alex. Unlike anyone expected, Albus genuinely wanted to sleep. Even after such an exciting night, he was sure to fall asleep quickly.
 
He hoped for no more nightmares.
 
* * *
 
Months passed by, and all of Hogwarts was finally at peace. Johnny came back from St. Mungos happy and healthy, as did Taylor Jones. Professor Slughorn was able to finally meet what was supposed to be his new students, but he left right away because he desperately needed rest. He didn't hesitate to announce that he would not be returning to Hogwarts the following year. He did return to Hogwarts for the end of year feast to congratulate Albus, Ronnie, and Alex during the speeches for them.

“This has truly been an eventful school year. It's been quite a while since anything like this has happened, but we are so happy to announce that because of Albus Potter, Veronica Cambridge, and Alex Greenfield, there will be no need for any ministry agents to be patrolling the halls any more,” announced McGonagall, followed by claps from all around the great hall.

“I too would like to say something,” Slughorn blurted out as he stood up from his seat. “Just a big thank you to those courageous children. Without them, who knows if I would even be here right now. Thank you.”

The claps became even louder for them, and people were patting Albus' back from all around. His friends were getting the same treatment.

“Now let's move on to the matter of the house cup,” announced McGonagall. “The winners of the house cup this year are...”

She then waved her arms and all the banners around the room changed themselves into a navy blue with eagles as the emblem. Ravenclaw won the house cup this year.
 
Rose must be so glad she isn't in Gryffindor now, Albus thought. But I'm still content with how things are right now.

After everyone was done cheering for the Ravenclaw's, even if through disappointment, everyone enjoyed the feast and got ready to make their ways to the Hogwarts express.

Heading out of the Great Hall, they met up with Johnny since he'll be sitting with them this time around. Fortunately, Johnny didn't act any differently. Even after the bad events, he still had fun with the trio whenever they could. Although, a month prior, Alex insisted that they all spend their time studying. Right after he came back from St. Mungos, the four friends all had to go to their favorite spot in the courtyard so Johnny could tell them all about his time at the hospital. He was also eager to hear of their adventure.

Ronnie was sure to remind her friends that she expected a letter every single week. Alex was ecstatic of the idea, and Albus knew he would have to borrow his grandparents' owl a lot more.

Albus expected the last day of school at Hogwarts to be sad, but he didn't feel sad at all. He did much more in his first year than he could have ever expected. Other than passing all his exams, even with a terrible potions professor, he was able to be a part of solving a mystery and saving innocent people. Saving those that he cared about.

He couldn't wait to return to it in September, but he knew he had a great summer ahead of him with more time to bond with his reconnected family. They'll be closer than ever.

Since the event of the Healing Springs, everyone in school was congratulating him, Ronnie, and Alex. There was no exception for it on their last day, especially with the announcements just made. It felt different for Albus, and it only reminded him of what his dad must have felt like. They weren't treated differently by Bella and her friends though, being scolded for how Ronnie attacked them back on the night they found the springs. It didn't matter though, Albus was trying to stay away from her.

Finally boarding the Hogwarts Express once again didn't upset Albus. He would be coming back soon, to continue his adventures with Ronnie and Alex. But this time he hoped he wouldn't get into anything dangerous, just more fun times.

“I wonder what next year will be like,” said Alex.

“Maybe normal,” commented Albus. “But probably not.”

“Have your dreams been getting any better?” Johnny asked.

“I still have some here and there,” said Albus. “About Scalamay, it's always the same dream. She's meeting some man, but I don't know who he is.”

“Well no matter what, we'll always be here to help you kick her arse!” said Ronnie excitedly almost jumping out of her compartment seat.
 
Albus knew she was right. He made best friends he knew would always be by his side.
 
Alex, the boy who didn't give up; no matter what came in his way, he always had a clear path in front of him that he knew he needed to pursue. Even when Albus himself stood in his way, he tried to come past that. He researched and kept the trio's friendship together even when it was withering away.
 
Ronnie, the voice; so many limits were thrown at her and she didn't stop. Whether it was Quidditch or Bella, Ronnie found a way to stomp through everything to get where she wanted to be. She used her voice to help, and defend the people she cared for. Even if you thought Ronnie was annoying, there was no denying that you were always going to hear what she had to say.
 
Albus was able to find out who he truly was as well. Albus, the boy who made his own legacy; he was able to be a part of saving the day, and overcoming all his fears. He became brave. He became noble. He experienced what he could have never even imagined.
 
I guess the sorting hat was right, he thought. There is so much buried within me, that even I can't see right now.

I shall be great.