Albus Potter and the Healing Springs

Chapter 2 : The Missing Professor

Albus stopped looking around and paid more attention to who was sitting with him. To his left was his brother James, and to his right was Ronnie. Across from him, sat the timid boy, Alex.

“Quite strange how all this food just appeared in everyone's plates. I shall read on how this is all done later. . .” said Alex to himself.

“I don't really care; I'm just hungry!” giggled Ronnie.

The two of them seemed very much like opposites, but continued the conversation. Ronnie then introduced Alex to Albus. They had a quite friendly conversation that really broke the ice between them. James didn't add anything though. He was very aggravated about the fact that Ronnie was in Gryffindor and she didn't like it.

Everyone was finished with their plates and about half an hour later, McGonagall gave everyone a kind farewell and the plates were all cleared. She then added:

“The head of houses are Professor Belikov for Ravenclaw, Professor Slughorn for Slytherin, Professor Churchill for Hufflepuff, and Professor Longbottom for Gryffindor.”

All of the Great Hall started clapping as the four teachers stood. The most nervous looking one was the average height man with short grey hair.

"That's Professor Slughorn," whispered James to Albus.

“Prefects, please escort your houses to your common rooms. Term will start tomorrow, and you will receive your class schedules tomorrow morning. That will be all.”

A boy and a girl from each house table stood up. They were obviously older than most students but weren't the oldest. Maybe they were fourth years? Fifth? Albus didn't have time to ask anyone as the two from the Gryffindor table yelled something out that Albus and his friends couldn't quite hear, but as they saw most of the table walking away, they followed.

They were walking up a staircase and the boy and the girl began to introduce themselves.

“Hello, my name is Taylor Jones, and I am one of the Gryffindor prefects” said the boy. He was really tall with spiked up blonde hair. He had a few freckles and was obviously fond of the girl with him as he said, “and this is my friend, also a prefect, Tracy Edwards.”

“Hello everyone, I'm very pleased to meet you all. As prefects, Taylor and I will be in charge of making sure that the Gryffindors are at their best all year. There are six prefects all together, the other four being Miller, Richards, Anderson, and Rogers. All of us will be happy to help you in anything you need.” They walked up some more flights of stairs and along a few more corridors until they reached a painting of a rather fat woman. "Ahh, here we are. This is the entrance to our common room," said Tracy.

All of the Gryffindors stopped in front of a painting of a fat lady. It was a very large painting. Everyone was anxious to get inside now, but there was only one problem. The Fat Lady wasn't even awake.

“Excuse her – er – this doesn't usually happen . .” Taylor said in a disbelieving tone. “Wake up! Wake up!”

“Huh – what ?!” screamed the fat lady. “Was it absolutely necessary for you interrupt my sleep? Say the password so I can get back to sleep!”

“Trevor Toad”

“Alright, you may enter.”

The painting swung open and revealed was a large hole in which the prefects climbed into first, and then everyone else followed. They walked into a room full of comfortable armchairs, several tables and a big bulletin board in which school notices would be, but all that was there was a big welcome poster. There were two staircases that lead to towers which the prefects explained were the dormitories. Boys on the right; girls on the left.

“Well, I'm too tired to stay up so I'll just see you guys, whenever.” said Ronnie while taking her sweet old time to yawn. She ran up the stairs to the right, paused at the top of the stairs, then ran back down noticing she went the wrong way and ran up to the left.

“Poor girl, she's so tired she can hardly think straight,” said Alex, quite amused by Ronnie's odd, but pleasant character. “I think I'll go upstairs and start unpacking. It's been a long day getting here. Goodnight!”

Most of the Gryffindors were still in the common room talking, getting to know each other, or catching up and telling their summer stories. It all depended on what year you were in. Albus didn't spend much time in the common room though. From all that he ate, he was feeling very sleepy.

He walked upstairs after a short conversation with his brother and had to find the door that stated “First Years”. He walked inside and he saw Alex sitting on his bed looking angrily at his cell phone.

“I don't even know why I brought this thing, I should have remembered, electronic devices don't work in Hogwarts!” he screamed out to himself in frustration.

“Oh sorry, I didn't notice you were there, Albus. Hang on!” he shouted “I don't even know your full name. My name is Alex Greenfield.” He held out a hand to shake and Albus shook back awkwardly.

“It's Potter. Hey which bed do you think I should-”

“Potter? As in, Harry Potter?!”

“Yes - er – how do you know my dad?”

“How do I know him?! How wouldn't I?! That's the real question!”

“I get he's an Auror and all but it's not like he's famous or anything."

“Are you telling me that you have no idea of your father's legacy?! Who else other than your father could have defeated You-Know-Who?!”

“Who do I know? What?! Listen, I have no idea what you're talking about-”

“Your father is on a Chocolate Frog Card, for crying out loud! And you're telling me that you don't know about him being famous? He's one of the greatest wizards to have ever lived, especially considering all the accomplishments he's made at such a young age!”

“I – I don't – You're lying! My father is just an Auror, never in my life has anyone told me anything about this...”

“Your father is in nearly every Wizard History book ever, that's been revised that is. How is it that you have no idea about all this?” quiered Alex, unable to believe that Harry Potter's own son was so ignorant to his own father's history.

Then suddenly, Taylor walked in and yelled “Lights out! Goodnight.”Alex hurried into bed not wanting to get into any trouble, and Albus just stood there with a puzzled look on his face. What could this all be about? Why does this boy, whom he just met, supposedly know so much more about his father than he did? He was certainly lying; all of this was impossible. Albus went to sleep with deep thoughts in his mind, but he didn't bring up the topic the next morning.

* * *

It seemed as though the next morning couldn't have come quick enough for the students at Hogwarts. Everyone was excited to begin their magical studies this year, especially the first years. Albus and Ronnie walked to the Great Hall together, Ronnie suggested bringing Alex so he wouldn't be so lonely, but Albus wasn't very fond of the idea. He wasn't mad at Alex, but didn't appreciate how he thought he knew so much more than he did, and about his own father! When they got to the Great Hall, the deputy headmaster, and head of Gryffindor, Professor Longbottom came around and handed out all of the schedules at the Gryffindor table. Albus was waiting to see if he got a reply from his parents, since he asked his brother James to help him send them a letter by owl last night. He told his parents about how he got into Gryffindor. Now, however, he wished he'd have sent it the next day so he could have added on what Alex said about his father, Harry's 'legacy' or so he said. It was too late now but the school owl he used would probably let him send another one once their reply arrived. Albus really wanted his own owl, but he knew that he wasn't good with animals. No letter came to him, so he focused on his schedule.

“So we have Potions with Professor Slughorn first today, that sounds fun!” beamed Alex. “After that we take Transfiguration with Professor Churchill”

“Potions sounds too hard! I really want to learn how to fly already!” yelled Ronnie loud enough for others to hear and snicker at her. “When do we even have flying? What?! We don't even have it today!”

“Ronnie, it's okay, I'm sort of glad we don't have it today” said Albus awkwardly.

Ronnie gave Albus a weird look, and Albus wondered why she'd be so surprised that he wasn't good at flying.

“And after transfiguration, we have History of Magic. Well I'm sure to get an excellent grade in that one as I've already read all the required books,” gloated Alex until he saw Albus and Ronnie's annoyed faces. “But I'm sure there's always room to learn more," he tagged on quickly, so as to not gain the reputation of the know-it-all on the first day of classes.

The trio, walked together to their first class, Potions, which was weird considering that Albus and Alex weren't exactly on good terms.

Upon reaching the classroom, they were startled to see that Professor Slughorn wasn't there. The whole class was waiting outside mumbling, until the Deputy Headmaster Professor Longbottom came by and escorted everyone back to the Great Hall.

“Well that was certainly a waste of time, wasn't it? I mean they could have just announced that the teacher wasn't here.” said Alex.

“Well maybe it was unexpected. It's embarrassing though; to be gone on the first day.” giggled Ronnie.

“Slughorn better have a good excuse because McGonagall will not be too happy about this," Albus added to the conversation.

“I'm sure he has already informed McGonagall of his absence. Just because you guys don't know where he is doesn't mean she doesn't.” remarked Alex.

The trio spent the rest of the Potions class getting to know each other a bit more. Had Slughorn been here, they would have had Potions with the Ravenclaws, so Albus got to talk to Rose and see how she was doing. Fortunately, she told Albus about how her parents were thrilled that she was the first Ravenclaw in the family and that they were proud of her no matter what house she was in. Her father remarked, however, that so long as she wasn't in Slytherin, they would not disinherit her.

She also told Albus about how she made friends with twins, Laura and Kara Abel, and another fellow Ravenclaw, Jane York. Ronnie was trying on Rose's Ravenclaw tie and Rose tried on Ronnie’s Gryffindor tie. Although the two desperately wanted to be in each other's houses, they both had to admit that they were pretty content with their current houses; the twins made Rose comfortable, and Albus and Alex made Ronnie happy in Gryffindor, too.

The class had gone by and Alex was absolutely infuriated that he hadn't learned anything new yet. He was very excited to get to Transfiguration before his mind melted due to the lack of learning. When they got to class, they were accompanied by the Slytherins. At the front of the pack was Bella Lestrange along with Scorpius Malfoy, and two Slytherin girls, both with short, extremely pale blonde hair. “Might as well be white” said Ronnie. Scorpius tried to stray away at least twice before they entered the class but Bella had him on a tight grip; it's like she had him on a leash.

When they entered the classroom, it was lit by four humongous stained glass windows on the right side of the classroom. It was a fairly big classroom and cages were lined amongst the shelves, along with several books that seemed to be really worn out. Professor Churchill peaked out from under the desk at the front of the classroom.

“Welcome Class, I am Professor Churchill and I will be teaching you Transfiguration this year. I assume that you all came fully prepared today. Please open your books and we will dive right into lesson 1.”

Albus heard but didn't listen to what Churchill was saying. He was too busy gazing at Bella. She obviously noticed that Albus was staring at her since she started to fix her hair. Half of the lesson had already passed and all that Albus had learned was that Bella likes to hold her hair at her ears when she writes on her parchment.

“What are you doing? You haven't got anything done," whispered Ronnie.

This was what brought Albus back to reality. Everyone around him already wrote a list of useful tips to use when attempting to transfigure something. Alex seemed to have written everything in excruciating detail. Professor Churchill was walking around looking at everyone's lists and it wasn't very long until he got to Albus. Albus quickly copied the first two tips that Ronnie wrote, since Alex wouldn't let him copy him nor did Albus really want to, but Professor Churchill came right before Albus started the jotting down the third note.

“Mr. Potter, may I ask why you haven't gotten much done?” said Professor Churchill before being distracted by Alex's paper. “Oh Mr. Greenfield! Well done! Five points will be awarded to Gryffindor!”

All the Gryffindors in the room clapped, as this was the first points they have earned, and even some Slytherins clapped out of sheer mockery, although most just sneered. Albus was lucky he got a quick save from Alex sitting next to him. Professor Churchill completely forgot about Albus' poor work. He then returned to the board and began to write his own list of tips of which he wanted everyone to copy down.

Albus really wanted to talk to Bella. He knew he couldn't talk to her right now, but maybe he could send a note! Yes, that was it, a note. But how would he get a note to her in the middle of class? All the Slytherins on her side of the room didn't look very friendly to pass the note all the way to her. Plus, he didn't want any of the boys to get jealous, because they all obviously liked her, too. Who wouldn't? He could use magic, he's a wizard! He wrote her a note saying, “Hi, what's your name? - Albus”. He asked Alex for a levitating charm and Alex told him about 'Wingardium Leviosa'. Albus attempted but failed to get the note to levitate, it didn't even raise an inch until Alex shouted “Ugh, just let me do it. Wingardium Leviosa!” . The note then traveled maybe half way across the room when Professor Churchill was turning back around to openly talk to the class. Very quickly Alex whispered “Incendio” and the note quickly burned and turned to ashes.

“What was that?” questioned Professor Churchill as he looked around, confused.

“Nothing, but Professor, please continue with these transfiguration tips. They're completely fascinating and I must learn all of your tips before the class is over!” beamed Alex.

“Ah, right you are Mr. Greenfield. Very well then, tip number 24. Remember to keep your wand directly pointed at the object you are trying to transfigure, keep it very steady the entire time.”

* * *

The trio exited the classroom together, after filling their heads with information. All except Albus, who didn't pay attention three fourths of the time. He much preferred to drool over Bella. He waited for her to come out of the class; maybe he'd get a chance to talk to her now since he couldn't send her that note. She was coming out with Scorpius and two girls he still didn't know, but he knew they were her friends. She saw him, and came at him quickly, she didn't look happy.

“What were you trying to do? I'm not trying to get in trouble on the first day!” sneered Bella.

“I just wanted to t-talk. I'm A-A-l-b-b” said Albus very frightened.

“His name is Albus Potter. He doesn't seem to have his head straight because he can't even speak, and even worse; he's trying to talk to a git like you” interrupted Ronnie angrily.

“Alright then? Bye Potter, see you tomorrow. And goodbye to your little friend, too. She probably doesn't even have a brain in that stupid little blonde head of hers," Bella hissed.

Bella walked away and Albus began to blush again. This time, Ronnie slapped him yelling “SNAP OUT OF IT!” at the top of her lungs. Alex didn't say anything but just merely watched as the two bickered to each other all the way to their History of Magic class.

“Why would you do that? Making me seem like an idiot.”

“Well maybe it's because you ARE an idiot, or at least in front of her you are. I wouldn't know why though, she isn't very pretty, and she's so disgusting, honestly.”

“Disgusting? She's the prettiest girl I've seen at this school! And the nicest also.”

“Nice? Not only was she just mean to you, but she gives everyone a vulgar face as if she just smelt something horrible! I don't understand why guys fall for the worst girls," Ronnie exclaimed bitterly.

The fight broke off when they arrived at their History of Magic class. The class was only occupied by Gryffindors so it was different than other classes. On top of that, the teacher for this class, Professor Binns, was a ghost.

“I heard that he was caught in a fire in the teachers lounge and died. But, he never noticed that he died; he just went to teach his classes without noticing he had left his body behind one day! How weird is that? It'd be pretty sad if they sacked him, since he's a ghost and all. He seems like a cool teacher to me.” said Ronnie as they got to their seats. She had obviously forgotten about the little spat she had had with Albus just a few minutes ago.

If the rumor of Binns was true, that is pretty sad . . . not to mention weird. How could someone not notice they were a ghost? Albus wasn't sure he'd ever want to find out so he quickly stopped thinking about it. This class seemed to go by a lot slower than Transfiguration did. Ronnie was indeed, dead wrong about Binns seeming like a cool teacher. He was the least enthusiastic person, or more precisely, ghost, that Albus had ever met. After what seemed to be hours and hours of perpetual boredom, they were finally free to do as they like when the class ended.

“What do you guys want to do? We haven't got any homework so that pretty much opens my entire afternoon.” said Alex as they all walked to the Great Hall for some lunch.

The Great Hall was completely full again, as it was on the welcoming feast on the night of their arrival. The trio sat at the Gryffindor table and James asked Albus all about how his classes went. Albus couldn't seem less interested in talking about the two most boring classes he's ever had in his life. Then McGonagall stepped up to her podium and the whole Great Hall hushed.

“I would like to congratulate you all, on completing your first day. All the teachers have informed me on how well you all did. But I would also like to make an announcement. Due to unknown reasons, one of our teachers is missing. The Potions master, Professor Slughorn, was last seen last night. If anyone has any information regarding the where-abouts of our beloved teacher, please inform me at once. I'd also like to say, keep your guard up children, since we don't know what happened to him, it would be necessary to take some precautions. Be safe.”

“So she doesn't know what happened to him! Hah Alex! In your face!” mocked Ronnie.

“You're happy about this? Are you really? Unbelievable. Our potions teacher is missing and all you care about is whether or not you were right about whether she had sufficient information?!” yelled Alex.

“Hey, calm down, this doesn't have anything to do with us. Let's just let her do her job and we need to get to eating, I'm starving!” said Albus.

The three of them ate their lunch and went up to the common room. They talked for the rest of the day. Once or twice did the mention of Professor Slughorn come up but Albus wasn't interested in it. He didn't know why his friends wanted so badly to meddle into a situation that didn't concern them.
♠ ♠ ♠
For more information on the series visit the blog, http://albuspotterseries.tumblr.com. There you will find character analysis' and you can ask questions and give feedback on the series.