The Follower

The Chase

The autumn leaves crunched under my feet as I scurried off into the forest. I knew was being followed, but that was the only thing I knew. Who was trying to hunt me down? I didn’t know, but who ever it was had a drive. One that would hurt me. When I say hurt, I wouldn’t be able to let you know if that pain would be physical, emotional, nor mental. Maybe all three combined in a silk, blood red ribbon, in a little gift called hell. But once again, back to the unknown.

I hid behind a maple tree, its multi-colored leaves fell of the dying branches one by one. I struggled to catch a breath of the cool autumn air. I heard footsteps. My heart nearly pounded out of my chest, The crunching of the wilting leaves grew louder, and louder. I began to panic as thoughts raced through my mind. The follower inched closer. I covered my lips with my own right hand, incase a scream were to attempt an escape from my cherry red lips.

A plan is what I needed. A way to hide. Should I make a run for my dear life, or should I continue hiding behind the tall, wilting maple? I hadn’t much time to make a decision. Either way, a risk of being caught would be taken. I took in a deep, yet silent breath.

I darted off. The follower must have heard my feet crushing the orange and yellow leaves, because I could hear footsteps chasing after me. I turned to glance behind me, when I tumbled to the cold forest floor, my face buried in the leaves. I was unsure of what had happened. I lost my ability to see, because my vision had gone a blur. I felt pain in my chest, the worst pain I had ever felt. My life flashed before my eyes. Every memory, good or bad, I relived in an instant. The feeling, undesirable. There was one explanation. This was going to be the end, of me. I was going to die.

I saw shaded of yellow and red, some oranges and browns mix into one beautifully colored daze. The pain slowly eased into a floaty sensation. I was unaware of what was going on. Then the colors turned black, partially. Something was blocking the color of the leaves. It looked like a boot, but I wasn’t able to see well enough. I tried to gain focus, but the harder I tried, the more tired I felt. The world went dark, like a cave ten thousand miles under the surface. Then I saw nothing. Absolutely nothing.