Hidden

Just a Dream...

My fingers loosely gripped Stefan's hand. I slowly laid down next to him, cuddling against his chest. He was shivering...I tightened my grip, running my thumb across the top of his hand. I closed my eyes, silently willing him to get better...to heal.
Before long, the rhythmic sound of his breathing lulled me to sleep.

I dreamed a tragic dream...one that replayed what my father had done to me. Only...I wasn't the victim...
My brother's face took the place of mine.
I whimpered silently with each crack of the whip, with each lightning strike. I prayed to God that he was normal...

My eyes opened slowly, reality chasing away the shadows of the dream. I took a deep breath, releasing it in a sigh.
Just a dream...
My eyes adjusted to the dim light, resting on Stefan's face. It looked like he was having a nightmare as well...my ears flattening as his heart rate increased. I sat up, rubbing the sleep from my eyes with my free hand.

"Stef?" I whispered, a look of concern etched on my face. I jumped as he released a strangled scream, reaching in my direction and pulling me into a hug. I squeaked at the sudden contact, quickly feeling tears soak my shirt.
Sobs wracked his trembling body...

"Shh..." I immediately hugged him back, smoothing down his hair with one hand while drawing circles on his back with the other. My tail flicked nervously as my own heart raced. I had no idea what would get him like this...
My thoughts wandered to his father.

"You're safe here," I whispered in his ear.