Hidden

Something Different

Image

I slowly stood up, watching Stefan run away as I grabbed my bag. As soon as I started walking, I understood why he got away so quickly. The idiots from math were walking towards the football field, which happened to be near the tree.

I picked up my pace a bit, not wanting to be late for my next class. Thankfully, everybody stayed on their side of the line, though I could feel their glares on my back the whole time.

I got in the hallways, feeling a bit claustrophobic as everyone pushed up against me. I shivered and shrugged it off as best as I could, heading over to the English department. Hopefully, this class wouldn't be too bad.

I headed towards the back of the class room again, ignoring pretty much everyone before taking the seat next to Stefan. I turned toward him as soon as I sat down.

"You asked why I was being nice to you," I said, quiet enough to where only he could here me. "There's...something about you." I paused, tilting my head a bit. "Something that's...different."

He looked at me, his face unreadable. He looked like he was about to say something, but the teacher walked in and called the class to order.

The teacher filled the whole hour with nothing but safety and stories of his "good ole days." When the bell rang, everyone ran for the door. I ripped a piece of paper out of my notebook and scribbled down my number.

"If you ever need anything," I said with a smile, handing the paper to Stefan. I waved to him before picking up my bag and walking on to my next class. I didn't see Stefan for the rest of the day.

The final bell rang, and I let out a sigh of relief. School had never seemed this long before. I grabbed by backpack and headed towards my apartment, kicking a stone along the way. I finally reached the tall building, and after dropping my bag by the door I went to the fridge. I grabbed some Dr. Pepper and oreos before falling into my favorite chair.

I was still getting over how quiet the apartment was...I almost missed my family. I shook my head, draining my drink and grabbing a hoodie. I headed out, determined to find a quiet place to think.