Hidden

Home

Image

I walked home on my own today, as usual. Nobody lives where I do..
The dodgy side of town.

Kids running about on the green outside the estates, hoods up, throwing heavy rocks up at windows and laughing as they hit the people who lived inside. Yes, this was a normal day..
There were mouldy sofas outside, broken microwaves, old bits and pieces.

I was able to push the door open, which means dad wasn't here or he was stoned - Again.

I didn't want to look in the living room.. Not after what I had already witnessed this week. My bags dropped onto the matted carpet by the door to my room as I walked inside and slumped down on my squeaky bed.. The one I had slept in since I was born. As I lied down, my calves dangled over the edge as I slowly fell asleep..

I was awaken with my dad screaming my name, and a glass smashing on the wall an inch away from my face. A shard scratched my cheek, crimson blood oozing down to my chin as I shot to my feet and fought through to the door.

It was a relief that, this time, I got away.

I had seen which way Amanda had gone home, so I closed the door behind me and trudged along the grass in that direction. It was raining, cold, I hadn't time to go back and get anything to help me through the night if I took a wrong turn.

But soon, I was outside the block of flats and buzzing down the list of households.
They were just numbers, so I pressed them all in hope of hearing her voice.
But I didn't..

I slumped down at the door, legs up, sheltering from the rain with arms around my torso in a desperate hope to keep a little warmer.. Just a little.
At least I was away from dad at the moment.