Hidden

I'm Not...Normal...

Image

I briskly walked through the drenching rain, cursing quietly to myself. I knew it was going to rain today...

I pulled my jacket closer, hugging myself and hiding behind my hood. I wasn't far from the apartment, thank God. I felt a bit uneasy, a feeling that grew as I rounded the last corner. I saw a guy sitting hunched over by the door to the apartment complex, and as I neared the building I recognized him.

"Stefan?" I called uncertainly, my voice nearly drowned by the wind. He looked up, catching my gaze. I saw a small gash on his cheek, and noticed he was shivering.

"Come on," I said, worry on my face as I helped him up. He wasn't so much heavy, but good Lord he was tall...

I quickly opened the door and walked towards my apartment. The halls were air conditioned, setting a chill to the place. We reached my door, and I fumbled with the keys before getting the door open.

I closed the door behind Stefan, who had stayed silent the whole time. I opened the closet by the entrance, grabbing two towels. I offered him one while taking off my shoes, pulling my hood down.

My hand brushed past my ears...I quickly placed my towel over my hair. Stefan was still standing awkwardly at the door.

"Follow me," I said quietly, leading him to the small sitting room. I walked over to the corner, turning the heater on. I then sank into the nearest chair, patting the one next to me.

"What happened?" I asked as he slowly sat down. He kept staring straight ahead. My eyes focused on the cut on his slender face. It didn't look too deep, but...

"...Stefan?"

More silence.

That's when I gave up. I made up my mind to tell...to show, a complete stranger what had turned my own family against me. I sighed and slowly took off my towel, wrapping it around my shoulders.

"Stefan...there's something you probably should know..." I gently shook my hair a bit, closing my eyes as my ears poked through.

"See, I'm not exactly...normal..." I bit my lip. I was  petrified to see his reaction, but there was no avoiding it. I felt like I could trust him, but I've been wrong before...

I bowed my head, trembling a bit as I waited for his reaction...