Concealed

Chapter One

“Think about this as a time to really get to know your father and Michelle,” Lindsey Tatum sighed, watching as her daughter stood with her arms folded across her chest and an evident frown tugging at her lips. She wasn't happy in the least.

“I already know dad!” The sixteen-year-old defended, “And I don't care anything about getting to know Michelle. She doesn't deserve to be with dad. He's too good for her.”

“Gracie Haner!” Lindsey narrowed her eyes, “You have no right to say such a thing about another person, you hear me? Do you think Michelle talks badly about you to your father and your uncles? Because I know she doesn't. It's rude.”

Gracie looked away, “I don't care.”

Lindsey sighed once more, “Look, I've got to go or I'm going to miss my flight. I will call when I land sometime in the morning, okay?”

“Fine,” Gracie muttered.

Lindsey stepped forward and hugged her daughter tightly, “These next few months will fly by. Just you wait, Honey.”

Ignoring her mom's comment, she murmured, “I love you mom.”

Lindsey smiled, “I love you too.”

After a moment, Gracie and Lindsey parted ways. Lindsey waved goodbye to her daughter before climbing into the taxi that was waiting for her. Gracie stood back and watched as the taxi drove off; leaving her standing alone on a street she was barely familiar with. She looked around, staring at everything she saw with annoyance, wishing she could go home. That wasn't possible though. Her home now resided in Huntington Beach with her dad and her step mom, or at least for the next three months until her mom returned from France.

Gracie tucked a lock of her brown hair behind her ear before heading up the driveway and into the two story home. Her bags were no longer in the foyer beside the stairs. She figured her dad had put them up in her room for whenever she was ready to unpack.

Stepping into the living room, she ignored the TV that was on and headed straight to the kitchen. Her dad sat at the bar with a beer in his hand, while her step mom otherwise known as Michelle, stood chopping some vegetables, laughing at something her dad was saying.

Biting down on her lip, Gracie leaned against the doorway and watched the two. Maybe it was just her being stubborn but Gracie did not by any means like Michelle. There was just something about her that wasn't right for her dad. Her mom was supposed to be the one cooking her and her dad dinner, and spending time together by going to beach or having Bar-B-Q's with the Avenged family, not Michelle. However, there was nothing she could do about it. Her dad obviously saw something in Michelle that he loved because he did marry the woman.

Gracie cleared her throat quietly, catching the two adult’s attention. Brian and Michelle looked over at her, both wearing smiles.

“Get in here, Monster,” Brian said, motioning for her to come towards him.

If there was anyone who could get through to Gracie when she was in a bad mood or if she was upset, it was her dad. Although Gracie had been living six hours away for the past seven years since her mom and dad divorced, she was still close as ever with him. She refused for their relationship to change or to sour because her parents couldn’t stand each other anymore.

A small smile tugged across her lips as she made her way over to him, “Hi dad.”

Brian draped his arm around her shoulders and pulled her close to him. “Don't look so sad, little one. We'll have a good summer, I promise.”

Gracie turned, wrapped her arms around his torso and then buried her face in his chest. She knew her dad wasn't lying. It would be a good summer. One of the firsts to spend with him in a long while, and for that she was happy about. Gracie knew, however, that three months without seeing her mom was going to be very tough.

Being away from Nevada would be good for her though, especially seeing as Gracie wasn't on very good terms with her mom's family at the moment. Although, that was a story she wasn’t ready to talk about just yet.

“When do I get to see the guys?” Gracie asked, looking up at Brian.

“Soon,” He smiled, “Matt and Val are coming over for dinner tonight.”

“They should be here soon too,” Michelle chimed in with a bright smile.

Gracie's eyes lit up at the thought of seeing her Aunt and Uncle. “Is Ethan coming too?”

Brian nodded, “Should be if he doesn't already have plans.”

“Sweet,” Gracie smiled.

She pulled away from Brian, walked around the bar, and opened the fridge to find something to drink. Not feeling up to drinking any soda or being legal age to drink beer, she grabbed a water bottle and twisted the cap off.

“So what's for dinner?” She asked, directing her question to her dad.

“Steak and vegetables with a salad on the side,” Michelle answered.

Gracie rolled her eyes, “Sounds great.”

Brian turned to the teenager with one eyebrow raised, “Nice sarcasm,” He commented.

“Thanks.”

“I thought you liked steak and vegetables,” Michelle frowned.

“She does, Chelle,” Brian said, “She's just being stubborn.”

“I am not,” Gracie muttered, “I'll eat whatever. I'm not picky, you know that.”

Neither Brian nor Michelle responded to Gracie, so she took the nearest exit out of kitchen, leaving them alone until dinner. She bounded up the stairs and entered the second room to the left past the bathroom. Standing in the doorway, she stared into the room. Licking over her lips, she finally stepped inside after a moment and closed the door behind her. She hadn't spent much time in this bedroom even though she had claimed it the first time she visited after Brian and Michelle bought the house together when she was thirteen. The room didn't look like a teenaged girl’s room. It was pretty plain. There were no posters, the furniture could be considered guy furniture, and the bed set was black and white. It didn't bother her though. It was kind of nice being in a new environment. Her room back home in Nevada reminded her of too many bad memories.

Drawing in a deep breath, Gracie fell back onto her bed feeling tired. She knew needed to unpack before she did anything else since it would be easier for her to just get it over with, but at the moment she just didn't feel like dealing with it. She would do it later.

Gracie lied on the bed for what seemed like an hour or longer until familiar voices were heard from downstairs in the foyer. She got up and headed downstairs wearing a large grin stretched across her lips, excited to see a few of her family members that she hadn't seen in almost a year.

“Well shit! You're almost taller than me now.”

Gracie reached the bottom of the stairs and turned to find Ethan, her younger cousin standing there waiting for her. It took just about every ounce of her to stop from tackling him to the ground as she ran towards him and threw her arms around his neck.

“I've missed you so much.”

Ethan squeezed her tightly, “I've missed you too, Gracie.”

She pulled back and eyed him up and down, not believing how much he had changed this past year.

“Don't say it,” He said, “I know I've changed.”

Gracie smirked, “Yeah, but in a good way. You're looking good like your old man.”

“Funny,” Ethan chuckled, “You've changed too. I can't put my finger on it but there's definitely something different about you.”

“Not really,” She shook her head, “I've grown taller and that's about it.”

“Whatever you say,” He shrugged as he smiled, revealing the set of dimples he had inherited from his father. “Well, c'mon, mom and dad have been dying to see you, and I'm starving.”

“You're always starving, Ethan!” Gracie laughed.

“So? Eating helps me grow,” He defended.

She rolled her eyes, “Well let’s go eat then.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is just beginning. The chapters should get more interesting as we go along. Feedback would be really great. (: