Concealed

Chapter Two

“I don't know, Chelle. Something just isn't right with her,” Brian sighed, “There's not that same light of happiness in her eyes anymore.”

“Bri,” Michelle murmured, “She's a teenaged girl with a life that seems complicated to her. You can't blame the poor girl for not jumping with joy right now. She loves you, but she does not seem to want to be here. Maybe giving her some space would be the best thing for now.”

Brian leaned back in his chair and nodded, understanding what his wife was telling him. He knew she was right. Gracie did indeed need some space right now, especially at her age. It also didn't help that she had just been up and moved to a strange place where she knew no one except her family. It would take some time for all of them to get used to living in one house together, and it would take some time for Gracie to get used to living in Southern California for the time being.

He glanced over at the clock and saw it was just a few minutes past eleven a clock. “I think I'm gonna go check on her,” He said as he stood up from the table.

Michelle smiled softly at him and nodded, “That's probably a good idea. You go ahead. I'll be in the living room reading if you need me.”

Brian leaned over and kissed his wife before leaving the kitchen and heading upstairs. When he reached Gracie's door, he knocked lightly to see if he would get a response. Lucky for him, Gracie had not yet fallen asleep and murmured for him to come in.

Brian pushed open the door and slipped inside. The medium sized room wasn't as dark as he was expecting. A small nightlight beside the closet door was plugged in, illuminating the room with a soft glow. Gracie was lying on her side facing him in the middle of the queen sized bed, buried underneath the comforter and sheets.

“I'm just checking on you,” He said as he approached her.

She smiled faintly, “I figured.”

Brian settled down on the bed beside her. “Having trouble sleeping?” He asked her.

“Mom told you, didn't she?” She sighed.

“All she said was that you don't sleep as much as a normal person your age does, and that you've been having some pretty frightening nightmares lately,” He explained, shrugging his shoulders lightly.

“Oh.”

“You want to talk about it?”

“There's not much to talk about,” Gracie murmured, “Honest, dad.”

“You sure?” He raised one eyebrow.

“Mhm,” She nodded, “It's just hard to fall asleep some nights. It's no big deal.”

“Alright,” He said to her, but still, he didn't seem too convinced. He didn't want to push it though. Gracie would talk to him when she was good and ready if there was anything wrong.

For a few minutes it was silent between the two. Brian sat still with his back propped up against the headboard while Gracie traced the tattoos on his arm with her fingertips.

After a little while, Gracie spoke again. “Hey dad?”

“Hm?”

“Are you glad that I'm here?” She asked softly.

Brian narrowed his eyes ever so slightly and glanced down at his daughter, “What do you mean, Monster? Of course I am! Chelle and I love when you come visit us,” He assured her, “Where would you even get an idea that I wouldn't be happy you’re here?”

“I don't know,” She shrugged, lying ever so slightly, “I just... I guess I just thought that you would be, you know, busy.”

“Oh Gracie,” Brian shook his head before leaning down and kissing her forehead, “I'm never too busy for you, Sweetheart.”

“You swear?”

“I swear.”

She rested her head against his arm and shut her eyes, “I love you, dad.”

He smiled, “I love you too, Monster.”

-x-

The following day it was going on noon and Gracie was still buried beneath her covers in bed. Brian had left a good hour or so for a meeting with the band and their manager. Michelle knew from what Lindsey had explained to her and Brian was that the young teenager didn't sleep much anymore, so Michelle wasn't sure if she should wake Gracie or allow her to sleep a little bit longer.

What Michelle didn't know was that Gracie wasn't really asleep. In fact, she had been awake since she heard her dad's car pull out of the driveway. Gracie wasn't the type of person who liked out jump out of bed as soon as she woke up. She liked to lie in bed with her eyes closed and get lost inside her mind for as long as she possibly could, which is something she did often.

Gracie couldn't stay in bed much longer today though. Her stomach was sounding more like a creature who was angry rather than a part of her body. She needed food and she needed it soon.

Sighing heavily, Gracie sat upright and rubbed her eyes, wishing the sun wasn't so bright at that moment. She dragged herself out of bed and pulled on some shorts and a tank top, not feeling the need to take a shower since she had showered the night before bed.

When she was dressed, her hair was twisted up in a messy pony tail, and her teeth were brushed, she headed downstairs. Half way down the stairs she could hear more than one voice coming from the kitchen. As she got closer and closer she realized that Val was over visiting Michelle. The two older woman were sitting at the kitchen table, drinking what smelt and looked like coffee to Gracie.

“Afternoon, Honey,” Michelle smile at Gracie when she entered the kitchen, “You hungry?”

“Yeah,” She nodded tiredly.

Gracie grabbed a glass from one of the many cabinets and poured herself half a glass of apple juice. She downed it in two gulps and then breathed out with content, no longer feeling as thirsty as she was.

“Ethan is down at the beach with Danielle and Blake, if you want to go hang out with them,” Val told her.

Gracie shook her head, “No thanks. I think I'm just gonna sit outside and read for awhile.”

“That's fine, Sweetie,” Michelle said as she got up to pour herself another cup of coffee, “Your father should be home in a few hours. He wants to take us to dinner tonight, okay?”

“Sounds fine to me,” Gracie shrugged, “Oh, hey, did my mom call?”

Michelle nodded, “She called around nine this morning to let you know that she had landed safely.”

Gracie frowned, “Why didn't you wake me and let me talk to her?”

“Because, you needed your sleep and your mother didn't want Brian or I to wake you. She said she would call you again sometime this evening,” The older woman explained carefully, not wanting to upset the teenager after noticing the look of irritation in her eyes.

“Sleep isn't that important to me,” She rolled her eyes, “Next time I want you or my dad to wake me up.”

“All right, Gracie,” Michelle nodded, “I'll be sure to do that next time around.”

Sighing, Gracie turned away from both woman. She had a feeling that it was going to be a long summer.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really appreciate the comments I received on that first chapter. Thank you, guys.