Concealed

Chapter Five

The very large Avenged family was gathered at Brian and Michelle's. Some people were in the house, others were outside, and a big chunk of them were even going back in forth to the pool. Gracie was having a great time too and that was all that mattered. She had truly missed everybody and was so happy to be around them again.

Gracie grinned widely as she raced out of the pool soaking wet and towards her favorite and only grandfather, Papa Gates. Not caring that she was wet, she threw her arms around him and hugged him tightly, never waning to let go. Papa Gates held a very big influence on her life and Gracie adored the older man. Just like her dad, Matt, Zacky, and Johnny, Papa Gates was a man she trusted with her life, which was saying a lot since it was hard for Gracie to trust anyone these days.

Papa Gates chuckled at her, “Hello to you too.”

Gracie pulled away after a moment with an innocent smile, “Sorry. I didn't mean to get you all wet.”

He shrugged his shoulders and smiled, “No biggie. I'll dry eventually.”

She laughed and followed him over to where Suzy stood talking to her dad and Matt. She squeezed through the two older men and stood between them, interrupting their conversation with Suzy by accident. Once Suzy saw Gracie she stopped mid-sentence and pulled the teenager into a large hug, not caring that she was still dripping wet.

“Oh honey, we've missed you so much!” Suzy pulled away after a moment before eying her up and down, not believing how tall Gracie was getting, “My have you grown.”

Gracie became shy suddenly and covered her chest with her arms. It wasn't that she felt uncomfortable around anybody, but she was wearing a bikini and she had indeed grown since the last time she had seen anyone besides her dad and Michelle. It wasn't just her height that had grown either. She now had very noticeable body parts, including her hips, her bottom, and her top area.

“Thank you,” She murmured, blushing ever so slightly.

Michelle started to speak, removing the spotlight off of Gracie and to herself. Gracie took notice and knew that she needed to thank her step mom later for that, knowing she had done it on purpose, most likely sensing how shy and uncomfortable she was becoming. Threading her fingers through her wet hair, Gracie leaned into her dad's side. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders and kissed her head.

After a little while of standing around and talking to so some of her family members, she got back into the pool with Johnny and Zacky. A smirk tugged across her lips as she went under the water and swam towards Zacky. He wasn't facing her but instead had his back turned towards her while he talked with Johnny. When Gracie came up from under the water with a large splash, she leaped onto his back and wrapped her arms around his shoulders. He made an 'oomph' sound but managed to hold himself up instead of sinking underwater like she had hoped he would.

“Nice try,” He chuckled, wiping the water from his face.

“I'll get you one way or another today, Zachary,” She threatened jokingly, “Even if Johnny has to help me.”

Johnny laughed from in front of them, “Don't bring me into this shit! This is yours and Zacky's battle.”

“Fine!” Gracie pouted, “Don't help me then. I guess you're not my favorite uncle anymore.”

“We all know Matt's your favorite, Gracie,” Johnny rolled his eyes.

Zacky laughed at the two of them as they continued to bicker back and forth before untangling her arms from his shoulders and sinking down underwater. He swam a few feet away from them, leaving her to float on her own. He came up after a minute and smiled at the glaring teenager who was only looking at him like that playfully.

“Now what am I supposed to float on?”.

Zacky smirked, “I bet Johnny will be your float.”

“Hey!” He shouted, “I heard that.”

“You were meant to,” Zacky snorted a laugh.

Gracie rolled her eyes at them before swimming over to the edge and pulling herself out of the pool, leaving the two men alone, who were reminding her of two teenagers such as herself instead of actual adults. The young girl ran around shivering for a couple of minutes as she searched for a towel. After not being able to find one, Michelle appeared with one and held it out for her.

“Thank you,” Gracie mumbled, wrapping the towel around her shoulders.

Michelle smiled, “It's no problem, sweetie.”

“And uh...” She licked over her lips, “Thanks for earlier, you know, with Suzy and them.”

The older woman seemed pleased to hear her say thank you without it sounding sarcastic or fake and smiled wider, “You're welcome.”

“Hey Gracie!” Ethan called out, “McKenna's here!”

Gracie looked at Michelle as if to silently say 'excuse me'. Michelle caught on quickly and laughed at the young girl before telling her to go on. Gracie grinned, said thank you once more, before taking off towards the back door where Ethan was waiting for her.

The two teenagers raced through the back door and into the kitchen where her dad, Papa Gates, and McKenna were standing, talking and laughing together.

“Kenna!” Gracie exclaimed, running towards the older girl.

McKenna smiled at the sight of her niece and pulled and her into a quick tight hug before pulling away, “Gracie, gosh, how are you? It seems like we haven't talked in forever!”

“That's because we haven't,” Gracie laughed, “And I'm doing okay. How about yourself?”

“Same as usual,” She shrugged, “Just glad that it's summer break. School was just about to kill me.”

Gracie frowned, “Does college really suck that bad?”

McKenna laughed and nodded slightly, “Depends really. For me though, yes. Exams were kicking my ass.”

“Don’t tell her that!” Brian scolded, “She’ll never go to college now.”

Gracie rolled her eyes and ignored her dad. The two girls then left the kitchen and went outside to continue to talk about everything going on in their lives. Ethan soon joined them and dove into the conversation as well. A little while later everyone began to eat the hamburgers and hot dogs Brian and Matt had cooked on the grill. Over all, it was a good day Gracie thought. She hoped they would have another Bar-B-Q with everyone including McKenna before the summer was over and she had to go back home.

-x-

“Bye Kenna!” Gracie waved tiredly from the couch she was slumped against.

McKenna laughed and waved back before heading through the foyer and outside, Brian following closely behind her. Most of every one had left except Matt, Val, Johnny, McKenna, and Ethan who wasn't leaving until the morning because he was staying over with Gracie for the night.

Unfortunately, it was time for McKenna to head home. It was fun day full of catching up with her family, laughing, pigging out, and swimming, and now she was completely worn out and ready to pass out as soon as she got home.

“She seemed okay, right?” Brian licked over his bottom lip, staring at his younger sister who was leaning against the opened car door.

“Gracie you mean?” McKenna raised one eyebrow.

Brian nodded, “Yeah.”

“Well,” She breathed out, “For the most part.”

Narrowing his eyes, he asked, “What do you mean by that?”

“I don't know, Bri,” She shook her head, “I don't exactly see her enough to know when she's okay or not.”

“I understand,” Brian sighed, “I'm sorry, Kenna. She just seems like she's struggling, and I'm really worried about her.”

McKenna smiled sadly at her older brother, “Brian, Gracie is a smart girl. If there's something wrong you know she won't keep it from you forever. You two are close. And if it helps, she tells me all the time how much easier it is to talk to you instead of Lindsey. She really loves you, and I'm sure if she could choose, she would live here with you year around.”

Brian seemed surprised to hear McKenna tell him the things she did, but also somewhat relieved, knowing that she would never lie to him about something so important. She was right too. Gracie would tell him if there was something wrong sooner or later. She never kept things hidden from him for too long, especially if they were important.

“Thanks Kenna,” He smiled.

“It's no problem,” She assured him, “I'll call you in a few days, okay? I'm planning on taking Gracie shopping next week sometime, so I'll call and let you know what day.”

“Sound like a plan,” He nodded, “Drive safe.”

She smirked, “Will do,” and then climbed into her car.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is sort of a filler. Next chapter is much better, I promise.