Concealed

Chapter Eight

“Look, Brian, I'm sorry but I can't talk at this moment. I have too much going on around me right now, so if it's not an emergency of any sorts, I'm gonna have to call you back,” Lindsey's distressed voice rang through the phone.

Brian sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, “Okay, that's fine. But please, please call me back. I need to discuss something with you that is pretty urgent.”

“I will. I promise,” She assured him, “Expect my call in about an hour, okay? Bye Brian.”

Brian didn't have a chance to say goodbye before she hung up the phone. He breathed out as he tossed his cell phone onto the desk in front of him before standing up. He was more than irritated with his ex-wife and wished she would take the time to speak to him already. Their daughter was much more important than work.

Brian made his way out of his office and downstairs. Michelle was busy cooking something that smelled delicious. Gracie and Ethan were somewhat helping while somewhat screwing around and making jokes. To finally see his daughter laugh and smile genuinely was something that made Brian breathe out in relief over because it didn't happen too often anymore.

“Dad, hey,” Gracie smiled over at him once she noticed he had entered the kitchen.

Brian smiled and walked towards them, “Hi Monster,” He kissed the side of her head before looking over at Ethan with a slight smirk, “When you going home?”

Ethan laughed and shrugged his shoulders, “Never.”

“As long Matt and Val don't mind, then sure, kid,” Brian chuckled.

“So, I was thinking...” Gracie trailed off, catching her dad's attention again.

Brian raised one eyebrow as he looked over at her, “What do you want and how much is it gonna cost me?”

“Dad!” She laughed.

He smiled, “Okay, I'll make you a deal. If it costs more than the money in my wallet than it's a no, but if it doesn't than it's a yes.”

“I don't want anything, dad,” Gracie assured him.

With narrowed eyes he asked her, “Then what are you thinking about?”

“Do you think we could all take a trip up to Big Bear sometime soon?” She asked him, biting down onto her lip.

“I'm not sure, Monster,” Brian sighed faintly, “I assume by all you mean the entire Avenged family, am I right?”

She nodded, “Correct.”

“Well it depends on everyone else and if they have plans of their own, but I'll tell you what, I'll discuss it with the guys and give it some thought, okay?”

Gracie smiled softly, “Yeah, okay, dad.”

“Okay guys,” Michelle interrupted them with a soft smile, “Not that I appreciate your help or anything, but why don't you and Ethan go set the dining room table and leave your father and I to talk.”

Sighing, Gracie muttered “Fine,” before dragging Ethan out of the kitchen with her to the dining room. When the two teens disappeared out of sight, Brian sauntered closer to his wife to see what she wanted to speak to him about. Michelle stuck a casserole dish into the oven before turning to him with a breath of relief that dinner was done being prepared and just needed to finish cooking.

“Did you get a hold of Lindsey?” Michelle asked him quietly, rubbing the side of his arm.

Brian sighed out briefly, “She's going to call me back within the hour, or so she said.”

“Well I'm sure she will,” She murmured, “And if she doesn't, just keep calling. She'll have to speak to you eventually.”

“I know, Chelle,” He nodded as he licked over his bottom lip, “Is it bad that I'm afraid of what she's going to tell me? I just mean, I feel like when I talk to her about what's going on with Gracie, she's going to tell me something horrible and I'm not gonna be able to help or fix it,” He sighed, "It almost makes me not want to speak to her about this at all. Does that make me a terrible father?”

Michelle's eyes softened, “Brian, come on, you know you're a great father. If Lindsey knows something that you don't about Gracie's behavior then we will handle it, okay? We'll get this through together.”

Brian nodded as he wrapped his arms around her, “Thank you.”

Gracie frowned as she peaked around the corner at her dad and step-mom. She narrowed her eyes together, wishing she knew what was going on. They were being secretive and she knew that wasn't good. Something was wrong, she was sure of it. She just didn't know what, but she was determined to find out.

“What are you doing?” Ethan came up from behind her.

She spun around with glaring eyes and shushed him, “Could you be quiet?”

He laughed, “I'm...sorry?”

Gracie didn't find it funny. She grabbed his arm and dragged him away from the door, not wanting to be caught ease dropping. She had been caught doing it several times on her mom and Tommy and the outcome hadn't been good or what she expected. Tommy had back handed her so hard she fell into the wall. The back of his hand coming in contact with her face hadn't taught her to stop ease dropping though. Instead it just taught her not to get caught the next time around.

“What's wrong with you all of the sudden?” Ethan questioned as he allowed her to drag him into the living room.

“Nothing,” She muttered.

“Bull shit!” He called out, narrowing his eyes.

Gracie turned to look at him, “Would you just leave it alone? It's none of your business, Ethan.”

“Right,” He rolled his eyes, “Because it's your life, correct?”

“Yes, you're correct,” She murmured.

Ethan shook his head, “I'm so sick of this, Gracie.”

“Sick of what?” She demanded to know.

“This fucking attitude problem of yours! And not only that, but you walk around acting as if you're hiding the biggest secret of your life, and you're fucking self-esteem is gone, and all this sneaking around shit is getting old real fast,” He said, “I want my cousin back. You know, the girl who doesn't wear a fake smile, holds her head up with confidence and doesn't give a shit what people think of her, and doesn't ever keep secrets. Let me know when that Gracie comes back.” Ethan finished saying what he needed to say before he walked out of the living room. It wasn't soon after when Gracie heard the front door slam shut.

Gracie stood frozen with tears coating her eyes, while all she could think about was how right he was. She wasn't the same girl she used to be, and it wasn't just because she was a year older, it was because of everything she was hiding and what had happened. She was a completely different person now, and she wasn't sure if the old Gracie would ever come back.

“Was that Ethan?” Brian questioned, raising one eyebrow as he entered the living room sounding confused. When she didn't answer him, he walked towards her, “Gracie?” He asked, noticing the tears leaking from her eyes, “What happened?”

“Just leave me alone!” Gracie finally reacted and shoved past him.

“What about dinner?” He called out after her, “Aren't you hungry?”

He didn't receive an answer from her, just an earful of her feet stomping up the stairs and her bedroom door slamming shut. He furrowed his eyebrows together, wondering what in the world just happened suddenly. Everything was fine five minutes ago, and now Gracie was upset and locked in her room. He was curious to know what had happened between her and Ethan.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait, guys! I've been super busy with NaNoWriMo. Here's the link if you want to subscribe and read the story I'm working on when it finally comes out in December. :]