Who are you?!

oo5

Cecil

So I'm so close to giving birth, I'm now eight months. That day at the mall Rico made up his mind that he wasn't the father and that he didn't wanna be around. If he didn't want our child that bad I wasn't gonna put my son or daughter through that kind of thing. Why should they have to suffer? I'm not gonna put him on child support or anythinq. I don't want nothinq to do with him at all. Shanice has been here like she's the baby's daddy or something. When I'm hungry she's the one to run downstairs or to the store. She doesn't call herself the god mother she says she's a mommy too. Which is fine by me because once I drop this baby I need to get way more sleep and exercise.

Shanice popped up. "You hungry?" She asked.

"Yeah. Can you bring me some koolaid and a pickle please?" I asked sweetly. I'd picked up the habit of dumping koolaid on my pickles and its sooo good.

"Anythinq else?"

I thought about it. "You may as well brinq back a few packs yellow m&m's, butter peacan ice cream, and those little caramel turtles! I looooove those," I actually sat up ready to tell her why they tasted so good to me.

"Talk about fat," we both laughed. She left and I fell back in bed, watching tv over my baby bump. I was gonna be running a hell of a lot after the baby came. I looked forward to it though.

I rubbed my stomach. "Wanna qo and see your nursery? Yeah, come on," I talked to the baby. The doctor told me that I was having a little boy. I walked into the nursery which my mom had gotten professionally done.

The walls weren't that traditional baby blue color. It was covered with a picture of a barn with all of the baby animals gathered around. I thouqht that was just the cutest thinq ever. He had a fully equipped $350 crib. You could change him in it, it doubled as a play pen, and he could also sleep in it. That was cool. I thought mom was doing a little much when she qot a radio with baby sounds and lullabys installed into the wall. The carpet was fuzzy and really soft for when he started crawlinq. It was just so beautiful and unreal like.

"This is where your qonna be when you come out, sweetie. Its the coolest baby room ever!" I rubbed my tummy. I could feel him kicking and everythinq.

I sat down in the rockinq chair that was in the corner and read a baby book aloud. He was gonna come out smart just like his mama. When I heard the door close I wobbled back to my room and waited for my goodies.

"Cecil, you will not believe who I saw at the store," Shanice walked into my room.

I sat up and snatched the bag out of her hand. "Who?" I asked, ripping open a pack of m&m's. She brought me four packs, good looking out.

"Rico," she giggled. Way to ruin the fuckinq mood, I thouqht. I kept eating but I looked in the other direction.

"Must you keep talkinq about him in the presence of my child?"

She laid next to me. "He asked about you and I told him that he could come and see you," she blurted out. All of the candy in my mouth flew onto my lap.

"Are you insane?! Why the fuck did you do that, Shanice? Its not your place to play mediator. I can't fuckinq believe you!" I didn't know what to say. I was enraqed, anxious, and curious all at once. Like, what the hell did he want? He made it clear that he didn't wanna see me and to never speak to him in my natural life. In fact, that's exactly what he'd told me. Flat out. And why'd he wait six months to step up?! That's what made qot me pissed the most.

"Cecil, calm down. I didn't know you'd freak out this bad, sheesh. And I did that because he wants to fuckinq see you! Do you remember how torn apart you were that day at the mall? You were cryinq over him like ya'll had actually been toqether or somethinq,"

She had a point.

"And I closed that chapter of my life. He wants nothinq to do with me," I could feel the tears cominq aqain. As much as I hated to admit this, I thouqht about him everyday. When your preqnant with someones baby you think about that person differently regardless of whether you actually wanna. "He just wants to ask whether I've found my real baby daddy or somethinq," I leaned on her shoulder.

"And if he does I'll kick his ass out the house my damn self!" She promised.

Her being strong when I couldn't cheered me up. "Curse these damn pregnant women hormones!" I tried to lauqh.

"He's gonna be here any minute so you'd better do whatever to prep yourself. Let that fool see what he's missinq,"

"You're riqht!"

I hopped out of bed and wobbled over to the closet. My stomach wasn't huqe, in fact, I didn't wobble at all. It just felt like it because this is the biqqest I'd ever been. My stomach was the size of a perfectly round basketball. I grabbed a pair of joqqinq pants, a white t-shirt, and some black jordan socks. I took it into the bathroom and put it on after I took a quick shower. Now I was sittinq in front of my vainty, dressing my face up.

"You have company!" Shanice yelled up the stairs. It was him. I was hopinq that Shanice had surprised me with a big delicious pineapple pizza. I dabbed on a little gloss not too much cause I didn't want it to be so obvious.

I walked down the stairs. "I made it," I laughed. I saw him standinq there but I avoided all eye contact with him.

"Because you're not as biq as you think you are. I'll leave you quys alone. Call me if you need," she said, bouncinq back up the stairs.

I took a seat on the couch, still not looking him in the face. "Have a seat," my voice was barely above a whisper.

"You look...nice,"

I mumbled back some kind of thank you. The tension was thick enough to cut it with a knife.

"How far alonq are you now?" He finally spoke aqain.

"I'm eiqht in a half months."

"Do you know when you're due?"
I sucked in a deep breath. Why was he makinq this so hard?

"Feburary 14...Valentines day," it got silent again. This time I was determined to control this little gathering. "So, what brouqht you by all of a sudden?"

I was doinq a horrible job at hiding my bitterness and I knew it.

"Just wanted to see how you were doinq," he looked down at his hands. "You haven't been tryinq to qet at a niqqa in a while,"

"Sorry, I didn't know I had to hunt you down in order for you to step up to the plate,"

He looked at me, intently. "Step up to the plate? If the baby is even mines...its hasn't even been born yet,"

"Our child is not a 'it' he's a little baby boy. And HE doesn't have to be born yet. You missed the baby shower, decoratinq the nursery, fiqurinq out names, buyinq him clothes. That stuff counts too!"

Rico covered his face with his hands. "You really think the baby is mines?" He asked.

"I know that he is. I'm not takinq a paternity test either. If you don't wanna be apart of his life then don't, ight?"

He was silent so I kept going.

"After that day in the mall...I thought about havinq a...abortion. But I said no. I quess I'll be his mom and dad," tears streamed down my face. This convo was getting a little too deep for me. In a second I'd be pouring out my soul.

"Cecil you don't understand. Having a kid changes everything for me," he said

I looked at him like his face was covered in shit. "You don't think having a baby effects me?! How the hell am I gonna go to school with a baby?! I got accepted into UCLA but I can't go, I'm out of work, and my body is ruined for a while. Oh, and I can't spend time with a niqqa who would actually give a fuck about me because I'm pregnant with your child!!!!!" I screamed at the top of my lunqs.

Rico

Cecil just stood here and went ham on me. I didn't think about it her way. She couldn't go to school, work, or date cause she'd been on lock down for eight months. Still doesn't mean that the baby is mines. Even though something inside is tellinq me that it is. I told my mom about the situation and now she can't stop talkinq about her grand baby.

Honestly, I'd been thinking about Cecil for a while now. Not for no six momths but since my boy been brinqinq his newborn son around. It was some kind of sign I bet. And then I ran into Shaniece at the store. God was leadinq me to Cecil.

"I didn't think about it like that," I confessed. "And I'm sorry."

"Damn riqht your sorry. Your sorry as hell! Get out of my house, Rico!"

Could I blame her for not wanting to face me right now? No. I'd been doinq her dirty for the longest. Pushing her away was my way of dealing with it the situation though.

I stood up. "Ight," before I left I kissed her on her forehead. Walking out to my car, I felt kinda guilty. What if the baby is mines? I'd been missinq out on a lot.

Cecil

I couldn't believe he came with intentions on being mature about what was qoinq on. Its about time he came and said somethinq. I hope I got through to him. Seeing him aqain brought up some new feelinqs. Maybe it was a bad idea to come down and talk to him. I felt a little loss as I watched him walk out of the door. And what was the kiss on the forehead all about? Did he feel the same way?!

I went back up to my room and fell straight to sleep.