‹ Prequel: Your Guardian Angel
Sequel: Body

They Forgot

They Forgot

She was slowly wandering down the street, with nothing else to do.
She couldn’t go home, as that was what she was walking away from.

No more shouting. No more.
Enough. Enough. Enough. Enough.

Last night, she’d caught a glimpse of what life could be like.
Happy.

It weighed heavy on her heart. It was supposed to save her, but they left and she was alone and empty again.

“I miss you,” she whispered in a weak voice, a stray tear rolling down her face. “I miss you.”

Her eyes shot up for a split second, why, she didn’t know, they just did. They immediately met the embodiment of her life. He noticed her freezing and staring at him.

As his gaze met hers, she saw all the love dying.

The stray tear of earlier was accompanied by two more. An apologetic smile played across her lips as she shook her head in regret.

She knew they, the fans, had forgotten to take the time.

To take the time to care about him, not only about themselves and their newfound happiness. The happiness they had found thanks to him.

She saw that he couldn’t care less about what he did, about anything.

His passion had left. His life had been sucked out of him. They took it all, claiming it for their own. They used his life to rebuild their own.

He couldn’t care less about the lies.

The indifference that dripped off him hurt her. It tore her heart apart to see how her saviour just swallowed every single lie they told. He took them, buried them inside, left them there, to rot. But the deterioration had spread through his entire being.
She shook her head again in utter sadness.

He couldn’t find the time to cry.

His eyes had dried out a long time ago. No more liquids to spill but blood.

They forgot about love.
They forgot about trust.
They forgot about faith.

All she could do was shake her head again and try to bear the biting ache in her heart.
He smiled in the same apologetic way she had, earlier. He crossed the street, not bothering with possible traffic.

He couldn’t care less anymore.

As he reached her, he wiped away her tears and shrugged. She opened her mouth to tell him not to shrug, but he placed his tear-stained thumb on her lips and shook his head.

No talking. No talking.
No lies.

She screwed up her face in desperate sadness.
He was not alone. He wasn’t.
And he had the right to know.

But she realized it had been people like her, fans, who had gotten him into this state. He had heard enough. No more. No more.

His love was floating out the window.
His love was floating out the back door.
His love was floating up in the sky in heaven.
Back in God’s hands, where it had all begun.

She took his hand, ignoring the fact he flinched at the loving gesture.
He had the right to know he wasn’t alone. Because he wasn’t.
He couldn’t just give up on everything. She wouldn’t let him.
He had done too much to just give up and walk away.

He said that he had said all that he had to say.

They thought he was wrong. They said he had much more to say. They tried to force him to say more.
But he was done. More than ever.

And he gave a lot but it wasn't enough.

They forced him to give more. They tapped his everything, wanting, needing more.
But he had nothing left. Less than ever.

He got so tired that he just gave up.

So they did, too. He was still their hero, although they did not realize.
As he gave up, they did, too.

They spread lies about him. Bad lies. Bad lies.
Another tear slid down her face, but was wiped away immediately by him.

As soon as the hand went down again, she grabbed it with her other free hand, now holding the man’s both hands.

They didn't respect it.
They went and neglected it.
They didn't deserve it.
But she never expected this.

They never had any respect for their saviour. They forgot he was human, and from the moment he did something they did not like, they blew him off.
They left, neglected their love for the man.

It was all proof they never deserved it. Never. Ever.

But they had received it anyway.
And they threw it away.

She’d never paid much attention to it, it had been their loss.
She had never expected this reaction from her hero.

No, she didn't understand.

Nor did he.

He had never done anything so incredibly bad to deserve this.
Sure, he made mistakes, but didn’t they all?

She smiled, realizing they had made the hugest mistake they ever could by abandoning him.
As she got a smile as response, she met his body in an embrace.

“I love you,” he whispered.