Status: Work in Progress. Editing at Random.

Grimoire Girl

Chapter 6 part 1: Books of Zue

Grimoire Girl: Chapter 6 part 1 © 2011 by SheaRyhai

Books of Zue

“What exactly is it we’re waiting on?” Amanda muttered under her breath, fingers nervously fidgeting with the blue gem around her neck. She looked remarkably out of place, sitting there in her white jacket and tight white skirt. The gold cross engraved with her exorcists rank drew more than enough stairs from the few sorcerers brave enough to pass by.

“Apparently the Order thought it necessary for the Coven to be involved in this little briefing,” Paul answered taking a seat beside her on the stone bench. Despite his hopes of dropping Amanda off for the Order to deal with, they had assigned him as her guide - which was just another way of saying anything she did wrong would be blamed on him.

“The Coven, that would be your version of exorcist?” Amanda asked with a slight curl of her lip.

“Demon slayers, yes,” Pierre confirmed, already dreading the unfortunate involvement of Leo in this matter. Ever since agreeing to help Doberman track down the books, events seemed to keep spiraling out of his control - bring Victoria closer to the very people he was trying to avoid.

“For there is nothing hid, which shall not be manifested: neither was any thing kept secret, but that it should come abroad,” Amanda quoted, starting Pierre from his thoughts. Frowning he studied the faint smile she was trying to hide.

“Were you-” he started to ask.

“Don’t need to read your thoughts to read your face. You still worried about that strange girl you’ve got hidden away?” Amanda asked with a knowing look.

“Trust me, it’s not what you think,” Pierre murmured, shoulders tensing as the doors to the Astronomy building opened.

The Order always held its meetings under the stars. Pierre had long suspected it had to do with Master Ludwig’s star gazing hobby, but he couldn’t deny the majestic aura it seemed to give the Order, seated as they were beneath the twinkling lights. Black hoods fell over dimly lit faces, revealing little of their features.

“The Order welcomes Librarian Everlast the 10th, as well as the Ambassador from the Church,” one of the Order, Master Silth, Pierre believed - greeted them and waved to two empty seats between the Order and the Coven.

Pierre avoided looking to his left, already feeling Leo’s shark like gaze from across the room. He took his seat silently, Amanda seating herself with practiced grace, smoothing down the fabric of her shirt. For a moment he thought he detected the outline of a knife, but the wrinkle shifted. She wouldn’t be foolish enough to bring a weapon with her, he chided himself, focusing instead on the Order.

“Winged Exorcist, you have information to share with us,” Master Ludwig questioned. Amanda stood, bowing her head politely.

“I am here to offer assistance in regards to the Books of Zue,” Amanda explained, staring down the men hidden in shadows with obvious confidence. “If you are willing to accept the Churches support, I will gladly share what we have learned with you.”

“We believe it is in all of our best interests to deal with this matter quickly and efficiently,” Master Ludwig nodded his head slightly. “You are most welcome Winged Exorcist. I’m sure Doberman will find your set of skills most invaluable.”

“If we are taking Exorcists from the church, why not a member from our Coven?” questioned Mistress Tila coldly. A murmur of agreement spread across the room.

“I have no objections,” Amanda spoke up with a slight smile.

“Even if you did Exorcist, it would not matter,” Mistress Tila tone carried a smirk. “I nominate Leo Keegan to join in the endeavor to find these Books of Zue.” Three more members of the Order shook their heads in approval, as applause filled the room.

“Motion is passed,” Master Ludwig announced, not sounding very pleased. “Leo Keegan, you may remain. The rest of the Coven is dismissed.”

Faint grumbles and scrapping chairs echoed behind Pierre, another chair was placed beside Amanda and Leo Keegan took his place in front of it. The Exorcist and Coven member, eyed each other coolly before taking their seats to wait.

When the room was sufficiently empty, Doberman appeared from the shadows beside the Order.

“Perhaps you will share with us now, the information you brought us?” Doberman queered civilly, eyes on Amanda. She stood, eyeing him with interest before turning her attention back to the Order.

“Yesterday, one of our exorcists was called to perform a delicate task. A young child was believed to be possessed. Three of his older siblings had all passed away the week before under peculiar circumstances. Both parents were beside themselves with grief, desperate to save their remaining child.” Amanda paused. Pierre glanced over to see her hand shake slightly.

“When my partner and I arrived, the child and mother were dead. We detected the presence of a demon, and traced it to the husband three houses down. He appeared to have committed suicide. Beneath his body we found a note asking for forgiveness. He wanted to be free from his family to live with another woman. He had only wished for it, but swore he hadn’t harmed any of them.”

“We managed to interrogate his girlfriend before the police came. She told us of a book this man had come across a week before. Said he claimed it would enable him to be free of his family and be with her.”

“How did you determine this to be a Book of Zue?” Doberman questioned.

“She has the gift,” Leo Keegan answered. “She can see images of a persons past through touch.”

“I see memories that stand out the most. Such as moments of joy, pain, fear, and anger,” Amanda affirmed, turning her gaze to Doberman. “The husband showed the book to the girlfriend. There was no mistaking it was a Grimoire.”

“The Book of Lust,” Pierre murmured out loud.

“A whole family destroyed because of one man’s desire to be with another woman,” Amanda spoke with obvious disgust. “Yes, lust fits it best.”

“Where is the book now?” Master Ludwig asked.

“We found no trace of it. The husband may have thrown it away after his wife and child died, or hidden it. Either way, he took that secret to the grave,” Amanda answered taking her seat.

“There is no way for you to ask him?” Doberman pondered studying her.

“My gift is ineffective on a corpse, if that’s what you’re asking,” Amanda returned tensely.

“Meaning you can’t read a dead body the way you can read a live person?” Doberman pressed curiously.

“The act of death itself jumbles up a persons memory. Perhaps that’s why some people say your life flashes in front of your eyes before you die, the more violent the death, the more jumbled the memories. It’s nearly impossible to sort out the one’s you want.”

“Nearly impossible-” Doberman turned to exchange a look with the Order. “Perhaps we should attempt it to be sure.”

Amanda’s hands tightened into fists as she glared at the Book Hunter, looking ready to refuse.

“I think it will be a futile attempt, the body is already in the city morgue,” Amanda explained quickly.

“That won’t be a problem,” Doberman smiled charmingly back.

“See if the body can give you clues as too the books location. There are seven Books of Zue, any chance of saving one life should be taken,” Master Ludwig ordered dismissively. “You will all pay head to Doberman’s experience in this matter. And you will keep this a secret from anyone not authorized by the Order. We do not want scavengers looking for these books.”

* * * * *

Victoria paced the library between the couch and the kitchen. Waking up to find Pierre gone again, along with the stranger from last night, hadn’t really surprised her; but she was fed up with being left behind. Being locked in a library might be a dream for some people, but not her.

During the last twenty minutes since her wrist watch said 11:00, Victoria had debated taking a stroll to find some place to eat. There was nothing in the refrigerator she was willing to risk eating, and the phone Pierre had used to order pizza was not working again.

Honestly what’s the point in having a phone if it requires some special spell to use it?

A sudden ringing sound reached her ears, and she turned to stare at the old black phone suddenly come to life. Moving briskly to the book shelf where the phone rested, Victoria lifted the receiver to her ear.

“Hello?”

“Pierre- its Pedlock- must be quick. Keegan somehow tracked me down, demanding to know about a Zue book I found. Boy what are you meddling with? Never mind - look, I don’t know what’s going on but if you’ve found something that old and rare you better hide it. I gave them an old Artic scroll to buy myself time to slip away-”

The phone grew suddenly static.

“Seems someone’s trying to listen in. Look here boy, get rid of that book. Do whatever you have to - but don’t let the Coven or the Order get their hands on it. It better for everyone if that those books were destroyed.”

More static cut through, as Victoria waited breathlessly on the other end. Questions swirling through her mind. Who was this person? What had Pierre told him about her book? And who was Keegan?

A small moment of déjà vu, as she recalled the girl Paul had brought to the library the day before.

“Can’t trust this line. They’ll crack through it soon enough. Best we meet up, maybe I can help you figure out a way to get rid of it. Whatever you do look out for Doberman, trust me when I say that dog will stop at nothing to get a hold of the book.”

Another string of static, this time louder and more profound.

“-some place they won’t expect to see us. The bus stop perhaps? I can’t stay long, and I’m sure Keegan has his men tracking me. Meet me there tomorrow, and make sure you’re not followed.”

The phone line went dead. Victoria exhaled slowly, heart racing beneath her numb chest.

Doberman…

That would be the man Raja had warned her about, who was after a powerful Grimoire book.

The man Raja said Pierre was helping… which is why Pierre would eventually betray her.

‘No- he promised-’

Victoria shook her head, feeling suddenly sick. ‘No, she couldn’t do this again. She had to trust Pierre, there was no one else she could trust-’

But just in case, maybe she should go meet this Pedlock fellow. If Pierre couldn’t give her answers perhaps he could…
♠ ♠ ♠
rough draft. comments appreciated