A Kiss Before She Goes

Chapter 1

I sat in the back seat of my parent’s car listening to my iPod really loud, trying to drown out my emotions and keep myself awake. It was way too early. I wanted to be mad at my parents but I knew I couldn’t. I wanted to be mad at them for sending me away to my grandparents when I was fourteen but I didn’t. I loved my grandparents and I loved living in Utah. I made unbelievable friends there; which is why I want to be mad at my parents right now.

Two weeks ago my parents called out of blue. They told my grandparents that they both had new high paying jobs and were able to take me back. I had mixed emotions at first. I was sad I was going to leave but I was okay with it because I thought we were going back to California. When they came to help me pack they told me that their new jobs were in New Jersey and we were moving there. I threw a fit and almost ran away with my new friends in Utah. I had a family here that I didn’t want to give up. I was perfectly fine without my parents. But since I was still a minor, I had no say. Just one more year and I’ll be back in Utah to my family is what I would always tell myself to get through.

I could feel the car come to a stop and I knew we were at our new home. I took a deep breath and looked at our new house. It was vintage looking with a white fence and two floors. The blue paint was fading away but that’s what made it look homier to me. I grabbed my bag and headed inside with my mom. My dad was driving the U-haul truck and should be here soon.

“So what do you think hija?” My mom’s accent was still thick but she spoke English pretty well. I could smell roses as she got closer to me and giving a slight squeeze to both my shoulders. Since I was little she always smelled like roses. I remember she had a rose garden in our old house and would always make water baths with roses. She would even stuff rose petals into her clothes so she would always smell good. I gave her a glance before looking back at the whole house.

“It’s nice.” I said softly. She looked pleased and gave me a smile. She still looked the same since I last saw her when I was fourteen. She still had her long black wavy hair at the middle of her back, her hazel eyes, soft tan skin and slender curvy body. My mother doesn’t look like her age so she was absolutely gorgeous and even to this day men still fall at her feet. But she would just smile at them and tell them that her heart was already taken.

“There’s the kitchen, this will be the living room, two rooms upstairs and that door leads to the basement. Have a look around and let me know what room you want upstairs." My mom said pointing at everything as she spoke. I nodded at her and she left to the kitchen. Ever since they told me they were taking me back they’ve been giving me whatever I want. I guess they felt bad for the years they weren’t there and what I left behind in Utah. I went upstairs slowly having the carpet floor creak under me; it was a long hallway with three doors. The one to my right was a medium size room with two windows. The door on the left was a small bathroom with a small window. The door in the middle was the master bedroom with two windows as well. I was thinking of taking the master bedroom but I didn’t want to be mean to my parents. It wasn’t their fault for all this.

I went downstairs and decided to have a look at the basement. I flicked the switch next to the wall and went downstairs. It was cold and the floor was made of cement. The basement was separated into two rooms. On the left was a small room where the washer and dryer were set up and on the right was a bigger room that had hard wood floors. I walked in and noticed that there was a small bathroom in it. I guess who ever lived her before had made this into a room. I smiled at myself knowing I had found my room. I walked back upstairs to see my father walking in the house. He saw me and flashed me a big smile.

“So what room did you decide on?” My father asked removing his baseball cap and ruffling his blonde hair. My father was really tall, short blonde hair, icy blue eyes and for his age, well built. He also didn’t look like his age so he was very handsome and made the women melt with just a smile.

“I want the basement.” I said with a smile.

“The basement?” He asked confused.

“Yeah it has a big room with a bathroom in it. It looks newly built.” He stood there scratching his head thinking if it would be a good idea to let me stay there. “I want it because the floors are made of wood and I could practice my dancing. Also since it’s downstairs you guys wouldn’t be able to hear any noises I make so I could practice playing the piano and singing.”

After a while he sighed softly looking towards the kitchen. “Your mother isn’t going to like this but I’ll convince her.”

I jumped with joy and gave him a big hug. “Thanks dad!” I yelled as I went outside to bring in my boxes. It was going to be a long day unpacking everything.

------------------------------------------

Hija - Daughter