Status: This Is War

I'm Here for You

Two

"Ruck!" Maxwell said holding up a truck to Zoey.

"Oh! Is this your's?" she asked, he nodded and held his arms up wanting held, she picked him up and set him in her lap.

"He's just a baby, he can't say his words right." Michelle said who was sitting next to her on the couch.

"Is that so?" she asked and Michelle nodded as she grabbed one of dolls and started to brush it's hair. "I had a doll that looked just like that when I was little."

"It belonged to my mommy when she'd been little. My daddy gave it to me for christmas."

"So it must be really speical to you?"

"Uh huh. I named her Stephanie, that was my mommy's name."

"That's a pretty name." Zoey answered as Maxwell cuddled closer to her, she smiled down at him seeing he was looking tired.

"It's his nap time, grandma always puts him in his bed around this time."

"Well you want to take me to his room and I'll lay him down?" she asked standing up, Michelle jumped to her feet.

"Okay! Then I can show you my room!" Michelle answered leading the way. The house was more considered a mansion to Zoey, considering the living room was almost the size of her mother's whole first floor at home. Michelle led her upstairs and the little girl started naming the rooms quickly. She was always talking fast, even her little brother would babble fast. "My brother sleeps in here." she said pushing open the door to a room with light blue walls. A small bed sat in the middle with Thomas the tank engine sheet and pillow lay. Zoey walked over and tucked the little boy in.

"Sleep good Max." she said pulling his blanket over her shoulders.

"Hi daddy!" Michelle pipped up making Zoey stand stright quickly and she turned to see Conner standing in the doorway, his tie loosened his hair a little ruffled. The little girl ran up to him and he picked her up.

"Hello kiddo." he said giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"You must be Conner." Zoey said walking up into him. They walked out of Maxwell's room so they wouldn't disturb him.

"Yes, and you are?"

"Zoey, my mother was telling about how your mother wanted to take a vacation and that you'd need a...nanny? So now here I am, your kids are really sweet, I might just accept this job if you like me enough."

"My mother would be the judge, apperently my opinion doesn't matter."

"I like her daddy, and I think grandma does too. Max's just a baby, he doesn't know better." Michelle said, he smiled and kissed her forehead before setting her to her feet.

"You seem like a good choice, but I just met you so what do I know?" Conner said his dark brown eyes looked like they held so much pain.

"Come on, my room's this way." Michelle said grabbing Zoey's hand making her take her eyes away from him and had no choice but to laugh and be taken away by the hyper little girl.

Conner watched as his daughter pulled away the woman, she looked tired and her eyes held sadness. He knew the feeling of holding something in and being tired, but he didn't know what caused her pain. He went back downstairs where his mother and Mrs. Ashford sat drinking tea and talking amongst themselves.

"Did you meet my daughter Zoey?" Dawn asked setting her cup down.

"Yes."

"Good she's your new nanny." Rosa said; he gave his mother a look. He knew she wanted to travel the world. But he had no idea she wanted to so bad.

"You could have told me you were wanting to get away. I would've helped you out."

"Son I love you dearly, but there's no way you could've helped. I had everything under control, I knew once Zoey met those children she'd love them. I'll be leaving for a few months and she might be staying here till then, or she'll be staying at her own home with Dawn. I'm letting you decide if you want her living here or not."

"Well why would I care if she lived her?"

"Zoey has troubles sleeping at night, and she's always wandering around at night hoping to get herself tired enough. She has nightmares and will sometimes wake up screaming." Dawn answered.

"Well she can sleep in the room near mine so she's no where near the kids. I'm a heavy sleeper anyways."

"I suppose so, but I haven't asked her what she wants to do yet. She'll probably agree in staying since she'd be here in time to wake Michelle up for school then couldn't leave till the children are in bed."

"Just tell me what the plans are, I need to go finish paperwork." Conner said, and the ladies nodded and began talking amongst themselves again.