Status: Active :D

Silent Promises

Chapter Six

"So, why did you move here?" I ask before catching the melting ice cream. I hold out my arm as watch silently as she scribbles something down on it. She drew back, looking down at the table and slowly eating her own cone of ice cream. I look at my arm and see the words 'I'd rather not talk about it' directly underneath what she had previously wrote. "Okay, so no talking about that... I'm kinda of at a loss here. I've never actually met a mute. Have you always been unable to talk?"

She lookes up her eyes clouding and gives a quick shake of her head before looking down again. She picks up the pen and I give her my arm and take a bite of my ice cream. she with draws again and i read the word on my arm.

"Okay, why don't we talk about something else. Maybe you could ask me questions or something. I don't think it will be a problem if we miss the rest of class."

She nods and uncaps the pen once more. 'When does school get out?"

"Around 4:30; Why?"

'I just want to go home.'

"I can take you if you want." I say with a smile. I can't help but feel a twinge of pity. Not only can she not verbally respond to anyone, she's also the new girl in a hormone driven school. She already has half the male population drooling after her but she ignores it. She doesn't seem ot want the attention and that's a major difference from most girls here.

'No, it's okay.'

"Really, it wouldn't be a problem. We can swing back by the school, pick up our stuff and I can take you home.'

She looks up at me, her blue eyes watery as if she's holding back tears. She nods and a tiny smile appears. It leaves quickly as it came though. I finish my cone and stand, holding my hand out to her. She gives it a wary glance before talking it.

The ride back to the school is uneventful. She stared out the passenger window and taps along with the beat or some songs drifting through my car. She tenses as we pull into the student parking lot.

"Charlotte.' I say and her head snaps around. "It'll be okay." The story of her little episode has probably reached most of the students in the school by now. "We'll only be here for a moment. No one is going to do anything, I promise."

She stares at me for a few moments and I smile before getting out and hurrying over to open her door. What? I can be a gentleman at times. These times did seem to now center around Charlotte but I don't think I can help that. She seems so frail, as if the slightest touch could break her and I feel the need to keep her safe.

She stays close to me as we walk through the halls. When we enter the photography room I tell Mrs. Crawfield of my plan and she nods her agreement. I gather all of our stuff and hand the teacher my flash drive before ushering Charlotte back to my car.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'd hoped this would be longer but I seem to have failed that >.< Sorry I took so long to update. Families suck. Especially mine.