Status: I love feedback.

Afterward

Sickness - Char

I watch Matt storm out the door and I continue eating my cereal. I feel sick, to put it mildly. I wish I hadn't told him, but then again, I don't know what I could've done otherwise.

I push my hair back from my face, sighing. My skin is wet with cold sweat. I need to sleep. I can't ever seem to sleep anymore. At least not normally.

I get up and dump the remains of the cereal into the sink. Then I go lie on the couch and try to get some rest.

---

Matt comes back shortly after.

I pretend to be sleeping. He's wandering around, knocking into things angrily. Finally, I hear him flip a cellphone open and call someone.

"Mom...? Yeah, can you come home...? Because I need a distraction. Yeah. That kind of distraction."

I wonder what he's talking about.

"A movie would be great. Go for the sappy feel-good stuff," He chuckles weakly. "Okay thanks. Love you too." Then he hangs up.

I hear him wandering around a bit more.

His voice sounded strange, I finally realize. It was a lot darker. Huh. He's really upset; it must be his monster. I guess a feel-good movie would make it go away.

"Char? You awake?" Suddenly his voice addresses me.

"Yeah." I mumble.

"My mom is going to bring home a movie."

"Okay."

"Are you going to watch it?"

"I feel like crap."

"So do I." That dark tinge of his voice grows more prominent. "What, are you going to go shoot up more heroin?"

"Probably."

"Don't be around me and my mom when that happens."

"Okay."

I hear Matt wander. Then his footsteps fall silent.

"Where do you get the drugs, Char?"

I roll over to face him now. He's standing in the middle of the living room, glaring down at me like God's punishing angels or something.

"You can actually get it anywhere here." I say tiredly. "You'd be amazed at how many tweakers go to your school. Since I'm invisible, I just take it from them."

Matt looks away.

But he says harshly, "Don't you ever think about how you're killing yourself?"

"I'm pretty much already dead."

Matt turns his head and pierces his gaze into mine."Do you ever think about how you're killing everyone around you?"

A stab of pain hits my heart, sharp and wrenching. I suddenly feel tears leap to my eyes and I look away. I'm embarrassed now. I quickly wipe the wetness from my face.

"You know what, Matt?" I say, my voice cracking a little.

"What?"

"I don't care."
♠ ♠ ♠
Short chapter.

I was kind of reluctant to put this in Char's perspective. But I was tired of doing it in Matt's. xD

I actually based a tidbit of this from the town I used to live in. I moved away in sixth grade. Now I go back and everybody's a pothead. My brother quoted, "You can pretty much get pot ANYWHERE in -town I used to live in-"