Me or Him?

Chapter Twelve

It's snowing in late october here in Chicago, but that hasn't stopped the fans from coming out to a game against the Blue Jackets. Emery in goal for Chicago playing against York. The 'Hawks' need to score a goal after being shut out against the Carolina Hurricane yesterday. And they did! Marcus Kruger scores two minutes into the first period. 'Hawks up by one. Hardly two minutes later the Blue Jackets come back with a snap shot by Prospal and we have a tie game. Things have been back and forth for almost the rest of the first period. But a big backhanded goal by Bolland puts the 'Hawks in the lead for the end of the first. A few minutes into the second, Toews get's a break away. He's speeding down the ice. Wisniewsk is close behind him. Can Toews stop it from being a one on one? Woah, Toews takes a big hit. He's not getting up...

I dropped my pad and paper and ran down to the locker rooms.

"Where do you think you're going miss?" A security guard asked me.

"I need to get in, I'm with the press." I said quickly. Now I didn't know if Jonathan was back on his feet or not.

"You know the rules, you don't get to go back there until after the game." Oh no he wasn't going to let me through. Where was Jonathan? Was he okay? That hit was really hard, I heard it. I didn't see it though, I was too busy writing. Writing?! Oh no! Who was going to cover the rest of the game?

Before I could think anymore there was a stretcher coming out of the locker room. It was Jon. I didn't even care, I bolted after it.

"What are you doing miss?" an ambulance worker asked as I tried to hop on the ambulance after Jonathan.

"I'm his girlfriend," I blurted out. He looked hesitant.

"Just let her come, we gotta go, this looks bad." I held Jonathan's cold hand the whole way there. He was knocked out, but he was breathing.

They rushed him into am emergency room and I had to stay outside waiting. I was literally pacing. What if it was a really bad concussion, some guys can't play after those. I wasn't sure if he had ever had one before. I remember Bolland was out for a long time after he had one last year. What were the Blackhawks going to do without their captain?

"How's he doing?" I heard Patrick Kane ask me. How long had I been sitting here? Enough time for the game to be over obviously.

"They won't tell me anything."

"I got your stuff." I had totally forgotten that I had left all the belongings back in the stadium.

"Thank you Pat, where's the rest of the team."

"They are coming, I didn't even change, I just left. I'm sure the press will be mad."

"I'm not." I gave him a half smile. I was so nervous. I've never had to deal with this before, could I handle being the girlfriend of a hockey player who had the potential to get hurt every time he set foot on the ice? Why didn't I think of this before?

The emergency room doors opened interrupting my thoughts. I recognized the guy from the ambulance. He was coming over to me obviously to tell me the news....