Status: progressing

My Heart Belongs in ... Paris?

one

I awaited the sound of his voice everyday. He called every morning to wake me up and wish me a great day. He didn’t care that it was right in the middle of his day. He called every day and if he didn’t, I was heartbroken the entire day. No one could cheer me up on days when he didn’t get the chance to call. But all is forgotten once I hear that sweet, melodic voice of his over the phone.
Who you ask is the voice I hope to hear every day for the rest of my life? His name is Stephan Mann; he’s my boyfriend of three years. He was drafted into the Marine Corps after graduating from high school two springs ago. I’m a senior in high school in good ‘ole Wisconsin, now though. He got transferred from basic training to Geneva, Switzerland. There’s a seven hour time difference. It’s ridiculous sometimes. And even though I don’t like to think about it, I realize that every day that we are apart is a day closer to the day we can be reunited. He was drafted for a total of five years, after those years are up, he can choose to re-enlist or be graciously discharged. He’s already told me that he will choose to be graciously discharged if it means getting to spend the rest of his life with me.
“Lex,” his voice is what I hear for the first time this morning and it’s kind of gruff. It’s seven in the morning in Wisconsin, two in the afternoon in Switzerland.
“What’s wrong, babe?” I always heard it in his voice when something was wrong, no matter how miniscule it was, I knew it was there.
“I didn’t get that promotion I was telling you about the other day, some rook got it instead,” my mind automatically understood that rook meant a first year guy, literally out of basic.
“There’s no seniority for a job that big?” was my quick response. You’d think that after one whole year of being in Switz that he would have gotten promoted at least once. But no. And according to him, and his direct managing officer, he’s one of the best they have in his department. It just makes no sense as to why he isn’t getting promoted.
“Apparently not, I’ve been passed up three times for promotions, Lex, it’s depressing.”
“Oh, baby, I’m sorry. I wish I was there to make you feel better,” I whispered through the phone.
“I wish you were here too.”
“How about for just a minute you pretend you are holding me in your arms, I’m still warm from being cuddled under the blankets and being next to you. My head is splayed across your chest and we are just lying there, peacefully.”
“That helps, just a little,” he replied softly, I could tell he was relaxing a little more than he was before. It was good progress considering when he was home I couldn’t get him to be this calm. He was always angry when he got upset. Nothing could be a good moment when he was upset. But the Marine’s reshaped my man, into more of a manly man. I think I like this one better even though I’ve yet to meet the new him in person.
“I miss you, how many days until you get enough leave time to come home?” I was practically whining, but it had been two years now since the last time I had seen him in person.
“I’m trying, bay, I really am, but it’s a lot harder than one would think, especially without being a higher ranking officer.”
“You’ll get there one day, boo, just keep your work up. I’ve got to get ready for school, but I love you, talk to you tomorrow?”
“Text me before you go to bed tonight, alright? I just want to wake up thinking of you.”
“Sure, baby, love you.”
“Love you too, bay.” I relucantantly hung up the phone and looked around my room. There were picture of Stephan and me everywhere. It made me miss him more each and every day, but I couldn’t take them down. They just gave me ideas, like flying to Switzerland to surprise him. I had saved every penny I earned the last two years so I could fly to see him. He was going to be so surprised.