Status: Finished.

Eyes for You

“When someone prizes us just as we are, he or she confirms our existence.”

I entered the second carriage and shook myself off a bit. Pouring. Absolutely pouring. Cold too. No one looked up as I walked over and sat down near the door. Just one stop away.
I counted the seconds as they ticked slowly away on my watch.
“Please let her bus be late.” I whispered desperately to myself, tapping my fingers uncontrollably on my knee.
With a small hiss and an utterly incomprehensible announcement from the driver, the doors slid open and I jumped to my feet, bolting out the exit and nearly crashing into two startled-looking transit officers. They shouted angrily after me and I took the stairs three at a time, leaping each step with my long legs. I sprinted across the suspended walkway and took the slippery stairs down two at a time, nearly slipping off twice.
Upon exiting the station into the pouring rain, panting for breath, I saw a figure huddled by the bus stop.
“That's her jacket...” I mumbled between breaths. I walked closer and heard she was sobbing.
“Julia...”
She stopped and caught her breath, “Go away.”
“Julia I...”
“Go away!” she screamed, partially drowned out by thunder.
“I love you Julia,” I said simply. It felt like a lead weight had been taken off my chest, like everything would turn out after all.
I reached for her shoulder and she pulled away, then turning to face me. Her jet black hair was plastered across her face with rain and tears. Her mascara was running down her cheeks and her eyes were red with crying.
“Why me?”
“You're the only one I see,” my brain stopped working and my heart unlocked itself to take over, “I think about you all the time. I've dreamt about you. You are the most beautiful person I've ever seen” - she smiled slightly, knowing the state of hair and makeup - “I love you, Julia. Only you. You told me before that you felt like you were invisible. You said you didn't exist. I tell you know that I COULDN'T exist. I love you Julia. No matter what. I love you for you.”
She blinked, then flashed a full smile and leant in suddenly, pushing her lips against mine. I tasted the raspberry of her washed-out lipbalm and the ecstasy that was the love she had for me. The love I now realised she had always had for me.
She later told me why she had run away that night. She told me she couldn't bear unrequited love and had decided to kill herself. I had saved her. In expressing my feelings and being there before her belated bus could arrive, she had found, in her eyes, a reason to exist.
So had I.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finished. I'll be writing more of my other stories soon, just gotta finish my end-of-school exams.