Yours to Hold

Chapter 4

I gaped at Matt for a few seconds, totally not believing what was happening. That must not have been the reaction the male was expecting, since he held his hands up and took a few steps back.
"Look, I'll just leave and mind my own business, okay?"
Realizing that my mouth was still hanging open, I clamped it shut and and scrambled up to my feet.
"No, don't go!" I squealed a little too loudly, causing Matt to look at me warily.

God, I was making a total fool out of myself.

After a second of awkward silence, I ran my tongue over my lips and ran a hand through my messy hair before taking a seat again. I motioned for Matt to sit down next to me; he hesitated for a second or two before dropping his bag and slipping into the empty seat next to me. I sucked in a deep breath as he did so in hopes of relaxing myself, but it failed miserably.

"So, um, what did you want?" I hoped to God my voice didn't sound as shaky as I THOUGHT it did.

I watched as Matt's hazel eyes scanned the cafeteria; he was more then likely making sure that none of his buddies were in the cafeteria. After a second, the male reached into his bag and pulled out a pencil before turning his attention back to me. He motioned to my math folder, and I pushed it over to him.

"I noticed that you looked like you had no fucking idea what the teacher was talking about in first period, so I figured I'd come over here and give you some much needed help."

He opened up my folder and pulled out the same worksheet tbat I had caused me to drive my head into the table before reaching back into his bag for his calculator. He placed both paper and calculator on the table in front of me before running a hand through his dark hair.

"Show me what you know," he told me, causing my eyes to go from him to the worksheet back to him.
"Actually..." I started, causing Matt to to let loose an irritated grunt and pull the worksheet and calculator in his direction.
"Pay attention," he commanded, causing me to nod my head and grab my own pencil.

Matt walked me through the first problem step-by-step, making sure to repeat a step when he noticed me looking confused. After we had completed the first problem and he was sure I knew how to do it, the male handed me the calculator so I could do the rest myself.

"I'm sorry that you had to explain it all, Matt," I stated quietly as I started working on the second problem.
"No, I should be the one apologizing; I forgot that you weren't in class yesterday."
I shrugged slightly as I finished up the second problem and pushed the paper over to the male; he gazed over it and nodded his head quietly before passing the paper back to me.
"Good job," he told me, causing me to nod as well as I got to work on the next problem.

"So," Matt started quietly after a few seconds of silence, "where are you yesterday, if you don't mind me asking?"
"Hopsital," I replied, causing Matt to gasp quietly.
"My god. You alright?"
"I'm fine," I told him shortly.

We lapsed into silence after that; I continued doing my math work as Matt nibbled on the eraser of his pencil. I was still in shock that Matt Sanders was sitting next to me, actually helping me with my school work and sounding worried when he found out I was at the hospital yesterday. I found it hard to believe that this was the same guy who had the audacity to make a comment about me when I passed him on the way to class this morning.

I wondered if Brian or Jimmy had made a comment to him about me possibly needing surgery, but I dismissed that thought almost immediately. Matt wouldn't have had to ask where I was yesterday if that was true, since he would have already known. Besides, Matt barely knew me, so there was really no reason for him to know that I may end up going under the knife.

Part of me wondered if Matt was being so nice to me right now because he wasn't around anyone that he knew; it was obvious that Val couldn't stand me one bit. I always wondered why that was since I had given her no reason to hate me, although part of me knew it was because I was gay. Which was silly, since I had heard rumors that Matt was in a relationship with a guy before he asked her out.

Actually, I knew actually why she hated me so much; my feelings for Matt weren't much of a secret these days. Someone really had to tell her to chillax because Matt seemed to be pretty goo-goo over her.

As soon as I finished my math and had made sure everything was put away, I turned my attention back to Matt. He had went from chewing on his pencil to playing with one of the drawstrings on his hoodie. He looked so damn cute, causing a small smile to play on my lips as I slipped his calculator back to him.
"Thanks for the help," I told him.
Matt flinched a bit and nodded his head, grabbing onto his calculator and shoving it back into his backpack. I watched him for a minute before speaking.

"So, Brian tells me you're going to Field of Screams on Friday."
Matt nodded his head as he leaned back in the seat and stuffed his hands into the kangaroo pocket of his hoodie.
"I plan on it," he stated, pausing so he could bring his attention to me. "Are you going?"
"I need to ask my parents tonight, since I found out about it today."
"Right, right. Think they're gonna let you?"
I snorted a bit in laughter. "Are you kididng me? My parents LOVE Jimmy, so I can't see them saying no."

Matt nodded his head and laughed a bit; hearing his laughter instantly brightened my day.
"Same with my parents, dude. They've told me numerous times that they want to adopt him."
"I haven't met a person that didn't completely love Jimmy," I exclaimed, causing Matt to nod his head in agreement.
"I know, man. That kid is something else."
"Yep, he is. When I was told I had to wear a brace for my back in ninth grade, he tried to convince my doctor to make one for him as well."

Matt arched an eyebrow. "Damn. What's wrong with your back?"
"I have scoliosis," I told him quietly, causing Matt's eyes to widen.
"Oh. Isn't what when the spine curves?" he asked, causing me to nod my head quietly.
"Oh, man. Were you born with it, or...?"

"It's idiopathic scoliosis; it started when I was in eigth grade."
"Damn. Is that why you were at the hospital yesterday?"
"Yep. I go a lot."
"Do you go to Children's Hospital?" Matt questioned, causing me to shake my head.
"No, I go to Alfred I. duPont in Wilimington."
Matt chuckled. "Ah, figures. I hear they have an amazing orthopedic center."

I nodded my head before deciding to change the sugject; I motioned toward Matt's hoodie.
"I really like your hoodie."
Matt gazed down at his hoodie before bringing his attention back to me.
"Thanks, dude. I got it at King of Prussia over the weekend with Brian and Val."
"You're very welcome," I replied.

The two of us sat in silence for several minutes, both of us lost in thought. Matt eventually ran a hand through his dark hair before turning his attention to me.
"It was kind of nice getting to talk to you," he exclaimed.
"Yea, same," I told him, causing the male to give a half-smile and place a hand on my shoulder.
"I'm really sorry about that deal in the hallway this morning," he told me quietly.
I opened my mouth to say something but was unable to string togehter a sentence. Instead, I quickly nodded my head with caused Matt to let loose a quiet chuckle.
"You're a pretty cool dude."

I felt my cheeks heat up from the male's last comment, and I nodded my head again.
Matt chuckled again and removed his hand from my shoulder before pulling himself up to his feet and grabbing his backpack.
"Well then. I'll see you tomorrow."
"Yea, see you tomorrow."
"Oh. If you ever need help first period, don't be afraid to tap my shoulder and ask," Matt added.

I opened my mouth to reply to the male, but the bell rang before I could say it. Matt adjusted the hem of his hoodie before giving me a half-smile and heading out of the cafeteria.
"Fucking deja vu," I mumbled to myself before grabbing my messenger bag and heading out of the cafeteria myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, Matt is being nice to Zacky? Thats weird. Anyways, leave some feedback; I love getting feedback. Don't be shy! xoxo