The Way of an Exorcist

Chapter 19

I fell asleep instantly after that. I wasn't afraid of anything trying to attack me or possess me in my slumber, since I am a demon after all. Well half demon. My father was a full fledged demon and my mother was a mere human. They would probably think of me as one of their own, which to be honest is sort of creepy. Anyways, I was plagued by the same nightmare I kept having every night; about what I did a long time ago when I was young girl. I was a young confused half demon who was growing up through abnormal changes. I didn't know I was a half demon back then. I always though I was human, but when Father Fujimoto took me in, he told me everything about my heritage and about what happened to my father when I was still an infant. He helped me grow into the young lady I am now. Shiro was like a second father to me. At first, I thought it was odd that a priest would take care of a demon, but I shrugged it off. I was grateful that he took me and treated me like I was a human and his daughter. I miss him dearly now, though. I wish I was there to help save him, before he had to die.

I slowly woke up again to be greeted by my two friends, Rin and a girl with dark purple hair tied up in a high ponytail; named Kamiki.

"I came to see how you were and give you the notes on the things you missed in class." Rin explained to me as he placed the noted on the side of my bed.

"Arigato, Rin-chan", I thanked him sincerely.

Then I stared up at Kamiki, who didn't look me in the eyes, instead she stared at the wall to the side of her.

"What are you doing here, Kami-chan." I asked her nicely.

She reached out and held a boxed lunch in her hands.

"I thought you might be hungry or something, so I brought you this."

"Thank you!" I smiled warmly at her.

She scoffed at me and turned her head the other way.

"Tch, don't think much of it and don't expect me to do this often."

After that, she stomped out of my room.

I laughed a bit at her stubbornness.

"Anyways, how are you feeling?" Rin asked me as he sat down next to me on my bed.

"I've feeling better than before, now that I got some extra sleep, still a little sore though. I'm probably gonna have to walk around on a walking stick now. At least until my body heals completely."

"Well, I'm glad you're doing alright."

"I have a question for you though. Why didn't you tell me that you were a demon? You knew about my heritage." He added, asking me. His voice sounded a bit hurt.

I stared down at my lap and tightly grasp the sheets.

"I don't know really. I guess that I was embarrassed and afraid."

"Afraid of what?" He asked me, confused.

"I mean you hate the fact that you're a demon. I thought maybe if you found out about me being one, you'd hate me too. I didn't want to lose one of my best friends. I wouldn't be able to handle it."

Soon after that, I felt a small pain on my head. I flinched as I held, trying to soothe it.

"What cha hit me for?" I asked him, slightly angry.

"I could never hate you. I'm surprised you even like me, considering what my "father" did to your father."

"Silly boy, why would I hate you for that? You had nothing to with it. I would never blame you what Satan did. It's not your fault. I would never think that."

Rin let out a sigh of relief.

"Thank goodness."

I laughed a bit at him.

Trust me, I could never hate you, since I like you way too much, baka.