‹ Prequel: Baby Blue
Sequel: Raindrops

Ferryman

1/1

Leaning against the railing, Marine stared at the water as it hit the side of the ferry. He had been watching it for most of the day, part of him wondering what it would be like to try and reach down so he could touch the water. He wanted to feel it run through his fingers. He had always liked the feel of it.

Titling his head to the side, he considered laying down on the deck and trying to reach down. He had been on the ferry all day, going back and forth between the two land masses that the small flat served. He couldn't decide what side he was supposed to get off on.

Did he go home?

Did he leave?

Or did he stay at sea?

Marine sighed and ran his fingers. This was something he had been doing for days, simply spending his summer on the ferry, riding back and forth as he tried to decide what he was supposed to do next. Each choice had it's own advantages and it's own faults. She wasn't sure what way he was supposed to go. He couldn't live on the ferry after all. He had been doing that about all summer.

That and they always made him get off at the end of the day.

Tomorrow he was going to have to make a choice. The summer wasn't over, but he was still running out of time in a way that required a choice. He was going to have to pick the side of the water he stayed on.

He bit his lip, his stomach twisting at the realization he had to choose. Biting his lip he looked up for a moment between the two shores and then back down at the water. Whatever happened he didn't want to leave this place. Of that he was absolutely certain.

So in the end, what did that leave him?

He knew the answer and that's what scared him most.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just one more drabble and then I'll be starting the story and bringing our characters together.