Status: On going!

Chlorine

dio

Rush week was a mess.

Alice thought the incident at Omicron’s party was disastrous enough until she met the rush week. After visiting numerous chapter houses, she learned that university life had no difference with high school either it’s because the girls were judgmental or plain immature. Alice couldn’t fathom the idea that incapable of swimming would downgrade a person to deserve being in a Greek life. Mostly, the snide comment came from popular Greek houses where cheerleaders and athletes rounded up.

Alice seriously had no idea.

Alice never wanted to be the part of ‘them’ in the first place anyway. It’s all just because Anita wanted her really bad to get into Greek. Anita kept advising her younger sister to get a Greek life because they provided business and social contact for life and the important part was they guaranteed jobs before graduation which was a win-win. Alice wanted to do it, but some part of her told her to stay away from it because she didn’t need drama in her university life, all she wanted was graduating smoothly with great GPA. She had enough with her social life in high school where the girls were all immature drama queens.

It was noon after Alice’s class when she was checking her email with laptop on her lap. Anita decided to visit she liked to call her ‘socially damaged’ sister, at her dorm room. Exchanging simple ‘hellos’ and ‘how about your first day’ didn’t really lightened up Alice’s mood. Alice decided to stay away from Greek life as Anita objected and kept pushing her to the edge.

“My future isn’t any of your business, Ani! Just stop it!” Alice closed her laptop angrily and glared to her sister who didn’t stop her rant.

“But you haven’t tried Beta Theta Chi, have you? Amelia puts a huge liking on you, you should try Beta.” Anita crossed her arms over her puffed chest.

“Are you out of your mind? Amelia hates you, Ani. We’ve established that, and do you really think she would take me as a sister? After all, I don’t care about this freaking Greek life. I’m done! I just want to lead my university life normally without any social dramas.”

Anita quickly slid beside Alice and wrapped her arms around Alice’s shoulder. Alice frowned and turned her head to see Anita’s face was troubled.

“I really want you to have a Greek life, Alice. I want you to be in Beta, it’s your destiny to continue Mom’s legacy. I want you to take over Beta and make Mom proud, don’t you want it? Amelia is an evil by the way, she doesn’t deserve her place now. Beta needs a better president, the legacy one!”

“Damn it, Anita… why are you so persistent about this? Do you know how those brainless girls think my incapability of swimming? They think it’s uncool and shit. They think I’m a plague. What the hell is wrong with these people? They’re… stupid.” Alice groaned and shoved herself onto her bed and folded her arms under her nape.

“They’re just a bunch of stupid people in useless house. Don’t mind them. Once you’re being a Beta, the president of Beta, they will kiss the ground you walk on.” Anita joined Alice and stared at her younger sister soft glance.

“But why Beta? Why not Kappa just like you?” Alice huffed.

“Because Kappa already has the great Anna Hawkin’s legacy, and Beta needs one.” Anita winked at Alice, “anyway being in Greek life isn’t that bad, you’ll get used to it. It’s fun actually.”

Alice sighed deeply, she knew she wouldn’t win arguing with Anita so instead of kept refusing the Greek life, Alice told Anita that she would try again so Anita would shut her mouth. Personally, Alice didn’t see Amelia as a threat, she thought the girl was nice even though sometimes she sounded fake with the sweetness in her voice, but after all, she never got into a trouble with Amelia, why would she make some waves with Alice? Alice decided to try it again and maybe being a Beta wouldn’t be so bad.

---

It was actually nice.

Amelia and the Betas welcomed Alice with tight hug as Amelia said her sorry about the pool incident. She never thought that it would ended badly, she didn’t mean to do that. She felt sorry that Alice got humiliated and she also told her that Teddy was sorry about it. Alice told her it was okay because nobody knew that she couldn’t swim, it was embarrassing that she couldn’t swim though.

Amelia also said that she still kept her bid on Alice, because she said she really liked Alice and wanted her to be part of Beta. The Betas were all nice, fun, and creative, even sometimes Alice would see the dominance of cheerleader-type-of-girls, but they never showed their negative side. Alice still couldn’t trace the evil side of Amelia Mendoza as Anita mentioned to her.

As the rush week came to an end, Alice was indifferent about the recruitment announcement, she didn’t care if no house wanted her, at least she tried what Anita wanted her to be. Before she went to her first class, she went to her mailbox and checked if any recruitment letter would stumble on. If no one wanted her, her professors still wanted her to get a great mark on their class. Apparently, Alice did get her recruitment and it was unbelievable that she got two pledges, one being Beta Theta Chi and other was Zeta Omega Psi. She liked Zeta, because of the unity of multiracial community in that house, and the girls were all humble but then Alice picked Beta because she felt homey there and Amelia wasn’t that bad.

As Anita and especially her mom took the news, the two squealed like a little girl. Alice never heard her mom squealed in such delight before, so it means that Alice finally did another good thing to make her mom happy and proud. Anita hugged Alice and congratulated her for her well-being, she was so happy that Alice finally could be a Beta but until then, Alice still couldn’t understand why Anita hated Amelia so much, the girl was nice and friendly toward her since the day one.

When the initiation ceremony came around, Alice was told that she needed to dress up with dress code that night. All the pledges were given a tank with Beta’s Greek letters, a ruffled purple tutu, and a pair of super high heel boots that Alice found difficult to walk on because they were so high and Alice wasn’t familiar with high heels. They said the dress code was Beta’s tradition so it needed to be done. Walking from her dorm room to Beta’s chapter house was hell, she kept getting cat calls from some guys but she ignored it, but when she saw some of the Beta’s new pledges also walked in same dress code, Alice felt confident about her self and walked with Laura Higgins, her new found friend.

Alice was expecting to have an initiation ceremony when she reached the chapter house, but she found the Beta girls were standing outside the house with blindfold on their hand as they waited for their pledges. It was told that the pledges needed to accomplish the mission as the ceremony ritual and this time their eyes would be blindfolded and then they would be taken somewhere by a car.

Amelia Mendoza was the one who led Alice and helped her with the blindfold. She took Alice to the outskirt of the town that Alice was never been to. Amelia helped the blindfolded Alice to walk on the pavement and stood her there before Amelia took off the blindfold. Alice looked her surrounding, she was dropped at some random park in a rural area. It was far different area she recognized from her university area, she hoped she wasn’t told to do some stupid things like swimming or something dangerous from here.

“From here, you will find your way back to Beta’s chapter house by your own. You can ask people for direction, hitch hiking, or anything you find comfortable with. If you reach the house before the sunrise you’ll be officially a Beta and we’ll wait you there with open arms. If you failed, you’ll be still a Beta because this is just part of the ceremony you need to do. For the safety, we borrow you a cellphone with one purpose. If you find big troubles such criminals or dangerous wild animal on your way, you will push the speed dial, and we’ll get you, aside from that, you could be dropped out.” Amelia explained and hugged Alice for the last time.

“Are you sure this is safe? What if I met a rapist, I mean because I dress up like.. y’know…” Alice fidgeted with her hands nervously.

“It’s safe, don’t worry! We always watch your back but you won’t able to spot us. We’ll be watching you. Remember, you have speed dial on us. Now, I’ll leave you here. Be safe, and I’ll be waiting for you at the house.” Amelia said and kissed Alice on the cheek, she got back to her car and drove away from Alice in a second. Suddenly, Alice felt alone and scared in the dark.

Alice didn’t know what time was it but she knew it was almost midnight. The sky was starry and some part was clouded as if it was going to rain but she wished it wouldn’t be rain soon enough. Alice picked some quick pace toward the way where Amelia’s car was coming, she just needed to get the way back. Walking was difficult with high heels on, let alone running, it gave her feet hell because Alice was so scared she could stumble on her heels.

She didn’t know how far she had coursed, but as far as she paced, she was only met by pine trees, bushes, and the sound of river yet she hadn’t found any local people, houses or even passing cars. It stressed her out, it became worse when she was met by a Y junction ahead so she needed to choose the way. If she chose the wrong way, she could be lost and she would need to get back with her torturous heels. Alice had already felt her feel went numb, she needed some rest first so she laid down on the silent pavement, spreading her legs and caught some breath. It was also cold, she could catch some cold if she’s exposed like this for much longer.

It was getting even worse when she felt some pelts on her face, when she looked up, the hard rain poured down on her. Loud gasp and scream came out from her mouth, Alice cursed and quickly got up and ran to the nearest tree to get some shelter. Her clothes and her hair were soaked, her make-up was ruined. Being decent was the last thing on her mind, all she needed was to get back as fast as she could. The air was getting colder, her soaked clothes made her shivered under the tree just like a stray cat. The cold penetrated to the every marrow of her bones. She cursed inwardly, she didn’t expect that she would go through this kind of thing, also the weather wasn’t friendly it made everything more difficult. The tree above her wasn’t a good shelter, she still could feel soft drops of rain on her, all she could do was hugging herself hoping that she wouldn’t get any hypothermia.

Would it count as a trouble? Could she call the speed dial? But she remembered that the speed dial was only for criminals and wild animals not for bad weather.

It felt like forever yet the rain hadn’t stopped. She was sure she had waited for a long hour for the rain to stop, but it didn’t. She couldn’t continue her walk if it’s still raining because there’s a possibility she would die of hypothermia in such weather. At that moment, Alice dreamed of warm blanket, nothing could make her happier other than warm blanket, or hot bath, or warm chocolate, or sitting next to a fireplace. For some odd reasons, Alicia Rosemary Waterville felt like The Little Match Girl from Hans Christian Andersen’s story where the girl died in the end.

Snapping out her thoughts, Alice gasped, she was scared that she could die any moment. But that’s just her dramatic mind speaking. Alice decided to walk again instead of sheltering below the tree, she just needed to get back real fast or she could die of hypothermia. Right, hypothermia always clouded her mind.

Alice didn’t care if rain kept pouring down and she looked like a stray cat already, she just kept her pace. She chose the right way on the Y junction, hoping that it would be the right way back. She wanted to cry, she couldn’t continue this, she just wanted to snuggle under her blanket, maybe pushing the speed dial and get herself dropped out was the best thing. But before she realized, she saw a car drove slowly next to her. Throwing her profanities, she wished it wasn’t any rapist or creeper that drove beside her. Before Alice ran, the window rolled down and revealed a familiar face.

“Do you need a lift?” he said with concern on his remarkable emerald eyes.

Alice blinked, she didn’t expect that she would see him again. Blushing red she only nodded, the guy motioned her to get inside and Alice quickly ran to the passenger seat next to him. She thanked the God that the guy had leather as the seat, because she’s dripping wet and she wouldn’t ruin the car that much.

“T-tt-thanks-sss.” It was the only thing Alice could muster up in between her chattering teeth. Alice rubbed her sides and wished she could dispose the bitter cold that biting her skin. Her mouth formed some steamy breath as the guy beside her watched her in worried face. He silently reached for the backseat, he pulled a towel and a jacket with Greek alphabet embroidered on the chest, it said ‘ΣΩβ’. Muttering another low thanks, Alice took the towel as she tried to dry up her face and her body before she engulfed herself with the warm jacket the guy gave to her.

“What are you doing in this weather? Where are you going?” The emerald eyed guy asked as he raked his fingers through his soft light brown hair.

“In-n-itiat-ion-ce-rr-em-onn-ny.” Alice tried and hugged her body tighter. The guy formed an understanding O and the trembling Alice. He rubbed his nape and cleared his throat sounding nervous.

“You can.. uhh.. maybe you can take off your clothes and let it dry in the back while you can cover yourself with my jacket? You look uncomfortable…” he smiled and looked flustered at the same time. Alice thought it’s a good idea so she quickly take off her Beta’s tank and her wet ruffled tutu meanwhile the emerald eyed guy looked away with red tinted on his face.

“Thanks, it feels better…” Alice said after she covered herself with the oversized jacket on her.

The guy smiled briefly at her, “So, where are you heading to? I’m Gustav Ricci, by the way.” he offered his hand to shake as Alice took his big warm hand.

“Alice Waterville. Can you take me to Beta’s chapter house?”

Gustav smiled again after he said ‘Waterville’ to himself. He nodded and then began to drive his car under the pouring rain. The drive was silent for the next ten minutes, the only sound was coming from the hard pelt on the roof. Alice felt much warmer in Gustav’s jacket, his jacket even smelt superb like the mixture of cologne and mint from smoking. Alice stole some glances at him and silently examined his feature with chiseled jaw, messy light brown hair and his strong shoulder blades that screamed “I’m an athlete!”. He was attractive in Alice opinion and to recount the night Gustav saved Alice from drowning, made her blushed. With his chivalrous-like response at her drowning state, she loved it. She would drown herself any day just for Gustav.

“Like what you see?” his voice suddenly made her jolted. The dimple on his left cheek came up to view when he grinned. Alice’s cheeks reddened once again and cursed inside her head.

“I.. I just haven’t thanked you enough for saving me at Omicron’s party. Thank you so much…” Alice squeaked while she was fidgeting with her hands.

“No problem.” Gustav glanced to Alice, “I found your swimming stroke weird, and I realized you cannot swim, then people around you were so stupid not to help you out so I jumped in.” Gustav shrugged off his shoulders.

“Thank you again… I know… it’s just I have a fear of depth from the childhood accident, since then I cannot swim. I’m always scared.” Alice’s voice was trembling, this time it wasn’t because of the cold but her fear about the depth and the coming shark.

“I’m in swimming varsity team. I could teach you how to swim if you want…” Gustav suggested. “You have to learn how to swim, or else you won’t enjoy your summertime.” He chuckled followed by Alice’s quick laugh of agreement and several nods. Alice had always wanted to swim in the lake or sea when it’s summer but she would always end up curling next to the water and watch other people swimming instead.

“So, you’re a freshman? What’s your major?” Gustav started again when he turned his car to the left as they reached the intersection.

“Yeah, I’m in Architecture. How about you, are you also a freshman?”

Gustav snickered, “I’m a junior. Visual Art and a Sigma Omega Beta.” He stated proudly with puffed up chest that made Alice snorted. So he was a junior, the same year with Anita. Alice was lucky to find a gorgeous junior frat guy from out of nowhere, he even saved her life. How romantic she smiled to herself.

“Does initiation ceremony always get this bad?” Alice asked when the house of Beta finally came into the view. She quickly grabbed her wet clothes on the backseat.

“Nah… it’s just part of the tradition. The hazing is bad, but only some houses that still do secret hazing. I’m sure Beta isn’t one of them, I see Amelia likes you too much, so don’t worry.” Gustav told her as he hit the brake in front of the crowded Beta’s chapter house. The rain was still pouring but the pledges stood in front of the front door with their dress code. “Here we are… uhh..” Gustav looked away again when Alice wore her wet clothes back again as the ruffled tutu got stuck a bit with the heeled boots.

“Thank you again for the ride, Gustav… I’ll pay you the deed later.” Alice told Gustav when she’s decent. Gustav turned his head to his new companion that looked like a stray cat, though that, he still found the beauty on the younger Waterville.

“That’s.. no problem.. I’ll see you around, Alice Waterville.” He winked and Alice got out from his car with smile spreading widely on her face. He honked a horn to her and then drove away through the rain, meanwhile Alice managed to run in her high heeled boots toward the chapter house to finish her initiation ceremony so she could be officially a Beta Theta Chi.

Amelia waved to Alice with relief on her eyes, as Alice reached the house, Amelia welcomed her with a hug and let her to stood with the other Beta pledges as the finishing initiation ceremony began.

---