Status: On going!

Chlorine

pente

Alice directed herself to the hall where her basic math course was located. It’s almost three weeks and she slowly memorized the blueprints of her faculty. She was walking with Laura Higgins, a new friend she made when she got into Beta. Laura was taking the same major as Alice and they shared the same math class together.

The two chatted animatedly about their night at Beta. Amelia gathered around all the Betas and they had girl’s quality time together including movie night, snacks, pillow fights and gossips just to fraternize the Beta with the new Beta members.

Alice slipped into the class with Laura as they sat on the top of seat rows. Alice dropped her bags and pulled out her stationary and books when Laura nudged Alice by the elbow to get her attention. Alice thought the professor had already walked in, but a brooding figure was walking inside class instead. Laura grinned at Alice with all-knowing eyes while Alice glared to Laura. Laura was the only one she told about her little crush on the junior guy and she didn’t want to look that obvious in front of him, so Alice pinched her friend lightly. Gustav walked in as he hoisted his backpack on his shoulder, he looked tired and aimlessly walked up to the row seats.

Alice hoped he wouldn’t notice Alice’s presence there because she could be acting stupid. Laura was being insensitive on purpose, she let out a random loud laugh to get Gustav’s attention and it did. Gustav turned his head and found a red headed girl was laughing so loud, it made the quiet friend next to her shushed her awkwardly. Instead of picking a seat in the middle row, he kept walking up to where Alice and Laura were seated.

Gustav grinned from ear to ear as he slid on the vacant seat next to Alice. “I’m glad I’m having this class with you,” he stated as a dimple hollowed on his cheek. His emerald eyes absorbed the light as they sparkled when he pursed his lips into a fascinating smile. He put down his backpack and grabbed a notebook from it.

“Hey, I’m Laura Higgins. Alice’s friend.” Laura abruptly offered a hand that Gustav gladly shook as he joyfully smiled to her and introduced himself. “So you haven’t taken this class before?” she asked as she rested her chin on her palm.

He chuckled lightly, “well, I took this class last year, sadly I failed this class and have to take this class again before I take the next class.” Gustav shrugged and rummaged his backpack, trying to find something he needed.

Laura glimpsed to Alice and mouthed, “It’s your chance with him. God, he’s so hot!”

“Just shut up, Laura.” Alice mouthed back and gave a pinch on Laura’s thigh earning her low painful groan. Gustav turned to the girls and arched an eyebrow asking if something’s wrong. Laura just shook her head and grimaced.

A minute later, the professor walked in and started the class. Alice couldn’t help but smile a lot throughout the class. She was content to sit next to Gustav and Laura noticed the loony smile that Alice kept doing. Alice was just so happy. When the professor began to explain more complicated things, it took her attention. She had to keep herself together and focus on the course not just her tiny crush on Gustav but when she was writing down notes, her hands kept bumping on Gustav’s arm that was as hard as a rock. Alice just gulped every time she felt Gustav’s warm arm.

She didn’t realize that Gustav’s face was already an inch from hers as he whispered, “do you understand what he’s saying?” Alice angled her face and spotted Gustav’s face was really close to her. She couldn’t hide the blush on her cheeks and slowly nodded.

“I’m kinda lost. Do you think you can help me with it?” he continued with face still inched on her.

“I prepared this last night, so I know most of it. Where are you lost at?” Alice whispered, trying not to look to obvious talking during the class. She didn’t want the professor to give a bad halo to her.

Gustav only grimaced widely, indicating that he didn’t know anything from it. Alice shook her head and hid a chuckle as Gustav shrugged off his shoulders. “Do you mind if you explain it to me later? Maybe study date?” he spoke softly. Hearing what Gustav just said put a warm feeling on Alice’s stomach. She would be studying together with Gustav all alone, she was afraid that she would make a fool of herself further in front of Gustav.

“Sure.” She let out a low squeak as Gustav responded with excited ‘sweet!’ then the two focused back of what the professor was up to. Laura who sat next to Alice obviously listened to their conversation and she made fun of it while Alice tried not to look too much blushing.

The class soon ended as the students gather their things. Gustav raised from his seat after he shoved his belongings into his backpack, he didn’t leave and was still waiting Alice and Laura gathered their books and stationaries.

He cleared his throat, “So about the study date, are you busy tonight?”

Alice lifted her head and arched her brows, “No, not at all.”

“Great, I’ll get you at your place tonight around six. Is that alright with you?” he beamed.

“Sure, just bring your books and calculator.” She nodded in response.

“Okay, I’ll see you later then. I’m gonna go to my next class.” Gustav saluted to Alice and then jogged down from their rows to the door. Alice just watched Gustav’s strong back from afar and sighed as if she was about to swoon.

“Looks like someone’s having a date with the hot stuff!” Laura bellowed and elbowed her friend who couldn’t stop blushing.

“It’s not a date, a study date. He wants me to explain about the course.” She exclaimed when the two were heading out from the class.

“Yes, he wants you to believe that. Don’t you see the looks he gave you? He totally wants to bone you, Alice.” Laura chortled, followed by Alice’s groan. Laura liked to made fun of Alice because Alice blushed pretty easy, it amused her. Alice just listened to Laura’s one sided conversation which mainly about Gustav Ricci, it irked her because Laura wouldn’t stop but she liked to believe what Laura said about him wanting Alice. What would she do if he did want Alice? She hadn’t dated any of her crushes for the longest time she remembered because all of her crush dated her beautiful sister.

---

It was just her luck that she got a part-time job at a big coffee shop in the town, not really far from her dorm. Java Jive was one of the biggest coffee shops that already had hundred of kiosks all over the country. Alice got lucky to be the barista there because the coffee shop was owned by one of the Beta’s founder who happened to know her mother. In two days she would get her first payment after a week she worked there.

Two days earlier, Ryder got his PT session and unfortunately Alice had to pay the session with her weekly money that forced her to eat anything that she could afford with her remaining money. She felt blessed that she got into Beta because she could eat her dinner at Beta’s house for free since Amelia knew Alice’s circumstance. Being part of Greek life actually provided many advantages to her university’s life, she should thank Anita for encouraging her.

It was 5.20 when Alice clocked out, she exchanged shift with another barista who would replace her place until the coffee shop closing. After bidding her goodbyes to her co-workers, Alice jogged back to her dorm, feeling excited that she would have a private study date with Gustav. She couldn’t wait and couldn’t stop smiling throughout her way back, skipping her pace.

“You look happy,” a voice suddenly came from out of nowhere it stunned Alice, making her stop. Glancing behind, she saw a guy with familiar face was just walking out from Zeta’s bushes. Ryder still had bandages on his forehead and the bruise on his cheekbone was slowly fading. At Ryder’s presence, Alice suddenly felt cold. She knew she just got civil with him, but she was afraid if he would make any scene with her. “Where were you today? I sent you text this lunch.” He continued.

“I’m sorry, after the class, I quickly went to Java Jive. As I said before, I have to make money for your PT session, remember? Sorry, I couldn’t help you with your notes or food.” She explained but only to be responded by Ryder's light scoff, this made Alice frowned.

“Right, but you’ll show up tomorrow, right? I haven’t been taking notes from class, I need your help, kay?” Ryder assured, at this Alice only nodded.

“What are you doing at Zeta’s lawn?” it was out of her curiosity, but she couldn’t help to ask. Zeta Omega Psi was a sorority house and there was no party at the sight. Ryder glanced back to the house and smirked at Alice.

“Got free food, and the chicks were nice to me.”

Alice arched one of her eyebrows, “Really?” she snorted. She was sure that Ryder probably slept with one of the girls in Zeta. “Why don’t you ask one of them to spoon-feed you since they really like you?” she questioned but she didn’t get a reply. Ryder went silent and shrugged off her shoulders. Alice checked her watch and saw she’s almost late for her study date with Gustav. “I need to go, I’ll see you later, kay?” she told him as she walked away from him, leaving him alone.

Alice hurried back to her building and ran upstairs to her dorm room just to see Gustav was standing next to her door with pizza box on his hand. When Alice approached him, Gustav noticed Alice and gave her the smile that made her stomach flip upside down. He was standing there with his glory, looking nearly perfect wearing a grey t-shirt beneath unbuttoned checkered shirt and jeans that fitted him just right.

“Sorry I’m late, I have a part-time job at Java Jive and on the way I got held up by your infamous friend.” She was unlocking her door when she explained to him and she could feel the mixture of masculine soapy scent and his cologne when she got closer to him. Damn, he cleaned up nicely and dressed up neatly just for her, it made Alice bit down her lip and smiled.

“Ryder? What’s he doing?” Gustav chuckled when they finally got inside Alice’s dorm room.

“He came out from Zeta’s bushes, he said he got free food from there,” she said and threw her bag onto her bed then she busied herself to tidy up the mess in her room.

“Really? I’m not quite sure of that.” Gustav laughed and observed Alice room. The room had some cracked walls and the blue paint was fading. Her bed was pushed up to the wall next to the window. Her room wasn’t as big as his room in Sigma, there weren’t much furniture in her room, just bed, her wardrobe and a couple of tables to put food and stuff.

“What does that mean?” Alice put a carpet on the floor and stuffed some pillows for their study space, she sat on the carpet and patted the spot next to her for Gustav.

“You know Ryder,” Gustav sat next to Alice and served the pizza next to them, he took one slice and offered it to Alice. “He just… well, likes girls. He’s seeing this girl in Zeta and things happen. You know, casual stuff.” he said as Alice took the pizza he offered to her. At that explanation, Alice knew what Gustav was implying. Ryder told her that he didn’t have a girlfriend to take care of him, yet Gustav told her the opposite. What did Ryder want from her? Couldn’t he just ask his girlfriend not Alice? Alice was sure she would protest about this to Ryder the next time she met him.

Gustav grabbed his backpack and pulled out two cans of beer, handing it to Alice, “Okay, so let’s start the lesson, yeah?” he said as he opened up the beer can before they began the session.

After a half an hour later, they finished their lesson. Gustav finally understood what he’d been missed last year and slowly could keep up with the lesson. It was just a basic math in university level yet he was struggling to understand, considering math was his weak spot since high school.

Gustav leaned on Alice’s bed as he sipped his beer while Alice hadn’t opened her can and she was chewing on her pizza. “Why don’t you take the Beta’s house? I bet it’s much more comfortable than here,” he asked randomly as he took another slice.

“I’ve paid this room for a semester, it was a such a waste of money. I’ll be gladly soon move to Beta’s next semester. Are you a live-in at Sigma?” Alice sighed as she scooted her seat near to Gustav. She was seated just right next to Gustav, she could feel his body heat oozed her and it made her comfortable being with him.

“Yeah, I’ve paid my living expenses at Sigma, it’s much better in Sigma’s house than in dorm, but when the break comes, it’s a bit tricky to find a roof. The Greek houses are all closed during the break and holiday, it’s safer living in the dorm, actually.” He described and sipped dry his beer. Alice nodded in response as Gustav spotted a CD player sat silently on the table near the bed, he got up and approached it, observing Alice’s messy CD collection and picked one to be played. “Wow, you listen to Wild Foxes. I love them.” Gustav declared as one of the songs from the band started to play.

“I love them. They help me to study and calm me down. One time they came to my town but I didn’t get the chance to see them live.” Alice pointed out while she was climbing to her bed, relaxing with pillow under her head. Gustav coursed to her bed and sat on her bed next to her.

“I’ve watched their show when they went to our campus. They were awesome, their live show was as good as the recording. The singer was one of a kind.” He replied and slowly made himself comfortable lying beside Alice. Alice’s eyes widened when her face was met with Gustav’s. He was so close to her and if she moved closer, she could just kiss him. Absorbing his awfully nice scent was bliss as she watched Gustav started to mouth out the lyrics from the song.

Gustav kept singing his heart out, making Alice giggled at his expression when he impersonated the singer in one of their music videos. She was entertained to watch Gustav enjoying his verse, he looked really good she just wanted to lean in and kissed him right there but Alice needed to put her feeling quietly or else she could ruin her new friendship with Gustav. He had a stubble that would definitely tickle her if they were kissing, she wanted to touch his stubble and his hair so bad without completely looking creepy, but she just kept her hands to herself.

Gustav turned his head to Alice and grimaced from ear to ear as he ended the song. He was staring through her soul with his green eyes, she could be melted any second if he didn’t stop looking. Trying to compose herself, Alice only awkwardly smiled to him.

“You know, you don’t look too similar with Anita, you have her bright blue eyes but you have a slightly smaller nose and thin eyebrows. You have a dark curly hair while Anita’s brunette was closely almost blonde. You guys look the same yet very much different.” Gustav mentioned while his fingers were playing with Alice’s hair.

“Anita is my half-sister, she’s actually a year senior than me. His dad and my mom broke up for a while, during their break up, my mom hooked up with some guy and had me. A year later, when I was one, my mom remarried Anita’s dad, that’s why we look similar yet really different.” She revealed as his fingers felt tickling on her hair.

“Oh…”, he paused for a moment. “Do you know about your father?” he asked carefully.

Alice looked pleased, “No, my mom said my biological father was a musician, he traveled around the country with his band, his relationship with mom was just a fling. Samuel—Anita’s father—raised me like his own child, as long as I remember, Samuel is my father, I don’t want anybody else because he’s perfect.” She ranted as she recollected Samuel’s face on her mind, putting a smile on her face.

“You told me that Anita is a year older than you, but why she’s in junior year now?” Gustav hoisted himself, resting his head on her palm while he was listening to Alice. Alice could feel the mint on her tongue every time Gustav let out a breath, it gave fluttering feeling on her stomach.

“Anita is a brilliant girl, she skipped a grade in middle school. She was so good at science, she liked to contribute at science fair. I don’t know why she chose psychology as the major here.” She uttered while Gustav nodded, they both fell in pregnant silent. Abruptly, Alice’s cellphone made a ringing text sound. Alice moved and hovered on Gustav’s body to reach the cellphone that sat on the carpeted floor. Realizing she just hovered on Gustav’s body made her cheeks burnt in embarrassment as she murmured a low sorry to him.

There was a new message popped up on her cellphone screen. Speaking of the devil, a message from the one and only Anita.

‘Can I borrow ur pump heels 2morrow mornin?’ the message said. Quickly tapping a reply on her cellphone she saw Gustav was studying her face solemnly like Alice’s face was the only interesting thing he found there. He was just staring at her. Was he interested in her? Alice was slowly believing what Laura said about him wanting to bone her because the way he looked at him. Did she just imagine things?

“Was it Anita?” he piped in and got off from his comfortable position on Alice’s bed, with that Alice only nodded and sent Anita with simple ‘yes’ text.

Gustav sat next to Alice, he was raking his fingers through his messy hair and cleared his throat. “Do you know if she’s seeing someone?” he asked. At this question Alice’s ears perked up and took a double take to Gustav. Why would he ask about Anita seeing someone?

“She’s seeing Logan Peter, but I think they’re not serious or something. Just casual thing. Why are you asking?” she frowned meanwhile her heart began to beat faster because she didn’t want to hear any unexpected thing coming from Gustav about Anita.

“Oh… you’re sure they’re not serious?” he assured.

“No, not that I know of. Why are you asking, Gustav?” Alice pressed as a bitter taste started to form on her tongue.

Gustav rubbed his nape, looking nervous. “Well, I kind of need your help, since you’re her sister.” He chuckled anxiously, Alice waited with eyebrows arched high at him. “I’ve never talked to her because I’m too much a coward, I need your help to ask her out.” He grinned bashfully.

Suddenly, her windpipe closed up as she’s having trouble on breathing. Her heart beating so fast and loud, she could hear it pounded on her ears. She couldn’t say anything but just stared at Gustav’s face deadpanned. When she felt the aching feeling began to build up, she felt cold.

She was trying so hard to hide her feelings to Gustav from Anita, hoping she wouldn’t be interested in him yet he was the one who’s interested in Anita herself. She remembered what Anita said about Gustav that Alice wasn’t his type, he was out of her league and to confirm that Alice now believed what Anita said. Gustav’s type was Anita, tall and skinny, remarkable smile, pretty face with makeup that only made her even prettier, and her long legs that would go for days.

“Will you help me out, Alice? You know everything about her,” his voice pulled Alice back.

Alice smiled weakly at him and sighed in defeat, “Okay, I’ll try.” Afterall, Alice would be always lost from Anita. Anita would always get the guy because she was just sociable and flexible with people. Everyone loved her meanwhile Alice would stay in her shadow.

Gustav got off from Alice’s bed, “Thank you, Alice. You’re the best!” he smiled widely as he ruffled Alice’s already messy hair.

“You’re welcome,” she forced a smile and nodded. Her little crush on Gustav could be easily stomped by Anita. Anita was clueless yet she had won Gustav’s heart without even trying. She wanted to cry because she was angry and disappointed with herself. For once, she wanted to have a guy she liked to catch her not Anita.

---
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts? Thanks :) hope you guys like it ;)