Somewhere Out There

Here Comes Goodbye

She sat in the middle of the woods alone; with just the necklace to keep her company. She had wanted to get rid of it months ago, but couldn’t bring herself to do it; until now. The silver locket was the only thing that kept them connected. Its chain digging into the back of her neck the only thing she felt anymore. How was she supposed to destroy it? The only memory she had left of him? The girl constantly felt an irresistible tug in the direction she had last seem him going, but she knew that he wasn’t any where she could merely walk to. No, it would take much more than that.

Even though he was gone she still felt him with her. It was a feeling she got when she was by herself: like now. The wind caressing her face gently or a whisper carried in the wind that mysteriously sounded like her name. It was him. It had to be him, because if it wasn’t… if he was truly gone forever…

Her chilled hands reached up to carefully unlatch the clasp. She felt naked without the cool metal against her throat, but she also felt a heavy weight lifted from her shoulders. A sigh escaped her chapped and torn lips, and she held the heart lovingly in her thin fingers. It was finally time to say goodbye.

A numbing wind kicked up leaves all around her, and she felt lost in the swirl of colors. She knew that now was as good a time as any. Her left fist completely engulfed the locket, and she threw it with all her might in a random direction. The wind suddenly died down, and the leaves had been strewn everywhere. Her gray eyes could not find the gleaming silver locket.

A sob ripped from her body as tears ran down her red cheeks, and she fell to her knees. The necklace she wanted it back. She felt lonely without it. She absolutely needed to get it back. A whimper escaped from her mouth as one of her knees scraped against a sharp stick that had been camouflaged by the rainbow of leaves on the ground.

Her hands became bloody as they searched the damp forest floor, but she didn’t care. She needed to find his necklace. Sobs wracked her small body, and frozen tears stuck to her face, but she kept searching. She couldn’t leave until she felt the dull metal in her hands once again. She wouldn’t.