Status: finished.

The Quintessence of Macy Jensen

Brett Marston

Image
“I know you went to that party Brett.” I turned my head instantly and watched as Macy bit her lip and looked down at her feet; a bad habit she’d grown with. “W-what party?” I tried to take the I-don’t-know-what-you’re-talking-about route but by Macy’s skeptical expression I guessed that wouldn’t get me off the hook. “You know what party. I’m not upset..just a little shocked that you didn’t tell me.” I spontaneously hung my head low as I grabbed my binder. I knew that once Macy found out about my late-night outing she’d be hurt that I didn’t tell her-her thinking I didn’t trust her enough. But the thing was that I did, it was just the fact that she knew the reputation I upholded. I sighed before shutting my locker and standing awkwardly at the water fountain while Macy hung back by my locker. I pretended to get a drink as I continued to talk to Macy.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you, I assumed you’d be mad at me.” She nodded as a student passed between the space between me and her. “Well, did you at least have fun?” I nodded, deciding to leave out the part involving Crystal and her naked body.

“Brett did you do the Trig homework?” Kevin stood in front of me now, his hands in his tasseled hair and his shirt slinging off his shoulder. “Yeah, why?” Macy was all but forgotten about once Kevin was in my presence-for I couldn’t be seen talking to Macy Jensen-ever. “I need it man I didn’t do it.” I rolled my eyes at his frantic behavior, despite the fact that I’ve never seen Kevin even look at a piece of homework with the thought of actually doing it.

“Trig starts in three minutes Kev, that’s not enough time.” Kevin looked at me oddly. “..so?” “So, you won’t have time. And it’s not like Mrs. Bennett likes you anyway.” I smiled as Kevin gave a nod in agreement. “Fuck me.”

“Gladly.” I winked as Macy laughed into her sweater-covered hands. I didn’t even notice she was still watching my from behind Kevin’s back, with her hair now in a sloppy bun. As I was about to turn and say something to Kevin the bell rang and I told Kevin we’d better head to Trig class. Kevin agreed as he fell in step with me and I left Macy to blend with the growing crowd. But, for some reason, I didn’t feel bad about it.

Image


Ninth period rolled around quickly and before I knew it I was slinging my book bag over my shoulder with Kevin and Brian by my side. They joked amongst themselves as I finished shutting my locker-a locker that I wouldn’t see for a week. Once I was ready to leave all three of us walked in a line; like a wall of popularity. Girls gapped as we passed and boys moved out of our way, but I had yet to see Macy in the crowd of faces. But I didn’t really even want to see her, I realized, as I left the glass doors that had enclosed me for the last three months.

It’s an odd thing-the feeling of loving someone one second then hating them the next. As of now, I suppose I didn’t hate Macy, but I didn’t enjoy her company either. Last week I wanted to spend every waking moment with her, and this week I would do anything to avoid her. It was like the world flipped a switch and I changed my whole opinion of Macy Jensen.

I snapped from my thoughts as Brian punched my shoulder and signaled to get into the Ford sitting in Kevin’s parking slot. I tossed my bag in the back with all the other crap Kevin didn’t bother cleaning out and situated myself next to Brian. I buckled my belt and the car inched forward, Kevin turning on the radio and Brian bellowing out lyrics to some pop-song. I smiled in the glow of the people I called my best friends and leaned my head against the window as I listened to Brian’s horrific melodies.

Image


My phone rang for the first time at around noon the next day, and I was livid that I was awoken on the first day I could officially sleep in. I ignored the shrill ring and covered my head with a pillow, willing myself to fall back into the abyss it was once in.

It rang for the second time about half an hour later. I groaned in aggravation but decided I might as well get up. I tossed the covers off my boxer-clad body and rummaged around my floor for my phone. I finally found it after a few more rings and answered with a groggy hello.

“Brett, it’s Macy.” I groaned internally and ran a hand through my bed-head. “Yeah, hi.” I wasn’t in the mood for talking-especially not to Macy Jensen. “I was wondering if you wanted to come over today?” Their was hope in her voice but I knew I didn’t want to spend a full day with Macy, whether we went somewhere or not.

“Nah, I just want to relax.” She sighed, “But…Please?” I began to grow irritated-the mixture of just waking up and hearing Macy complain didn’t help my headache. “I said no,” I snapped, letting my head rest on the palm of my hand. “Why are you being so mean?”

I gritted my teeth after she said this; because she has brought up the fact that I was ‘mean’ plenty of times. But I didn’t consider myself mean, I was just a guy who could stand up for himself. “I’m not fucking mean, okay?” My patience wore thin and was about to break as I uttered the sentence.

“Sure, because that was totally not mean.” I shook my head-that was the first time I’d ever heard Macy act in such a smart-ass way. “Just-fuck off okay.” She took a intake of air. “Don’t yell at me like that!” I grabbed my hair in my hands. “Just leave me the fuck alone okay? Do you not realize that I don’t care about you. You were a good fuck and I felt bad, but that’s it.” I screamed in frustration and fell backwards onto my bed, letting my feet hang just above the floor.
“I was just a random hook-up? I thought you’ve changed Brett.” She sounded hurt and in that moment I could see the tears that spilled down her porcelain cheeks. “No, I haven’t. And want to know something else?” I slammed my eyes closed, preparing for the worst after these few words I was about to utter. “What?”

“I fucked Crystal Lining at that party.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Brett's an asshole, and I lost a subscriber*insert sad face here.*

NO SILENT READERS.