Status: finished.

The Quintessence of Macy Jensen

Brett Marston

Image
We had decided, as we walked from the store with fingers intertwined and hearts saturated in love, that the next day we would expose our love for each other, our dire need to rely on the other. I didn’t show any resistance to her plan and I think that made Macy happy, for she kissed me lightly when no defiance showed.

As we sat on a bench overcastted by a fake tree; which reminded me when we would sit against the tree in the depths of my backyard; I realized that I had left my mother all alone with Amelia. And then I realized that Macy was still in the illusion that Amelia was just my sister, not my offspring and made up with half of my DNA. So I stood up, taking Macy with me, and told her I needed to get Amelia before my mother really blew a gasket. She giggled and said she’d go with me, which I was both happy and sad about. I guess it would be easier to break the news to Macy with cute little Amelia bouncing in my arms, hugging onto me like I meant the world to her. Which, when I think about it as we backtrack to the store, I guess I am. To a innocent girl of only three, a man in her life means that nobody will hurt her, that all the worries in the world are not bothering her.

I didn’t know just how much that had rung true, because I suppose that now, as I realize what true love is and what is important in life, I would do anything for Amelia-my baby girl. And then I realize how bad I’ve been to her, how much I’ve let her down when I never intentionally meant to. I swore then that I would never let Amelia down again, I would do anything she wanted if that made her happy. Because all I wanted was for my girls to be happy. We entered the store and right away my mother was storming towards me-with her hair in a frustrated mess and her eyes engulfed in fire. She thrust Amelia in my arms before her tirade began.

“Brett Michael Marston, I can not believe you. You left Amelia in my arms, and when I turned to look for you, you were gone. You almost gave me a heart attack young man!” But at the end of her punishment she smiled and hugged me, the first real hug I’ve had in awhile. “But I love you.”

“I love you too mom.” I let her go and watched as she turned to Macy, winked, then left us to browse the store once more.

“You’re mom seems…nice.” I laughed at her choice of words and swooped down to kiss her once more. Breaking us from the moment was Amelia’s sound of laughter. I smiled at her and pressed a kiss to her forehead, closing my eyes at the realization of, also, how much she meant to me.

“You’re sister’s so cute.” I cringed at the words but began my explanation. “Macy, Amelia isn’t my sister, she’s my daughter. Fay McGovern is her mother. I’m sorry I lied.” What I expected to hear was anguish and furry but what I ended up hearing was a light tone of anything but. “I knew it Brett, I knew she looked like Fay!” I looked down to see her crippled over with laughter, her hands gripping her sides and her mouth in a foolish grin. Her laugh was contagious; as I began to laugh as well, and soon Amelia chimed in despite the fact that we had just been discussing her.

Once Macy had composed herself and stood upright, she held out her arms to me. “Let me hold her.” I felt completely safe with giving my daughter to Macy, so I did. I watched with love as Macy cradled Amelia in her chest, cooing into her ear as Amelia played with her hair. “Pretty!” Amelia declared as she let her hand fall and her head rest on Macy’s shoulder.

It was funny, the way I saw the two. It was like Macy was meant to hold my daughter, a girl who looked so much like Macy, and Fay, at the same time. All was right in the world as the two people I’d kill for laughed and absorbed each other.

Image


Today was the day, the day I was to declare my love for Macy Jensen-my freak and nothing but. I hauled my backpack over my shoulder as I said my friendly goodbye to Macy. Sure, our relationship would be evident during school hours, but we both decided on waiting until after homeroom and first period. After all, we wanted people to be awake when we walked down the hallways hand-in-hand. We wanted them to wonder and be shocked into silence and glued eyes. I made my way towards my locker and began to dump the unnecessary things and gather the things needed. I shut my locker just as footfall approached me and soon enough arms were being draped over my shoulders.

“Hey Brett, long time no see.” It was Kevin’s voice that rang out and Brian joined in the welcoming. I smiled at the two boys and decided they’d be the first to know, and I wouldn’t make them find out like the others. No, I’d tell them in the privacy of the bathroom or something and hope for the best-hope they’d still be my friends. By intution and knowledge, I knew Brian would back me up-he wasn’t as shallow as most would think. But Kevin, he made my mind rattle at the thought. He could be a cold bastard, I knew from first hand experiences, but I hoped that our friendship was more important than reputation. So it was Kevin I was most worried about, not Brian.

As we all made way to first class I wondered what my reputation would be like when the news spread-when the news spread that Brett Marston, the football captain and guy who could get literally any girl, was dating Macy Jensen, a girl only known because of her “freakish” nature. But maybe my reputation wouldn’t crash and burn.

Maybe my fellow peers would accept my relationship and still see me as the popular guys I always was. Maybe now they’d realize how caring I was, and I’d be damned if I didn’t change my ways. I wouldn’t be a bastard anymore, I’d be nice and talk to whoever ws willing to talk and be a gentleman to any girl, despite who that girl was. I wouldn’t party anymore, I’d sit at home with Macy on the phone instead of getting piss drunk and passing out into a pool of my vomit on some unknown living room.

I swore I’d be a better person.

In what felt like two minutes, first and second period had passed and we were four minutes away from third. I had a free period, which played to my advantage of breaking the news to Kevin and Brian. I swept my eyes over the crowds of kids as I tried to spot out either Brian or Kevin, preferably both. Finally I saw Brian’s head as he rounded the corner and I didn’t hesitate in calling him over. He soon stood in front of me, his eyes bored and books against his forearms. “Yeah?” I swallowed. “Have you seen Kevin?” Brian shook his head and we both turned our heads to look for him.

But eventually, after a few seconds of searching, Kevin found us on his own. “Hey guys, do you mind coming to the bathroom with me? I want to tell you something.” They both shared confused gazes but followed nonetheless. Once we were in the safety of the speckled-blue walls and I managed to lock the door closed, I turned to Kevin and Brian.

“You guys are my friends right?” They both nodded. “Then, can I be honest with you?” Brian spoke first, which I knew he would. “Of course man.” I swallowed, as if swallowing my nerves and licked my drying lips. “I’m dating someone..” I trailed off as Brian and Kevin grinned. “Who then?” Kevin prodded after I spent a few seconds in silence. “Uh, Macy Jensen.” Even though my eyes wanted to stare at the floor for the rest of eternity, I made myself watched Kevin and Brian as the words hit their ears and connected into real meaning.

“Well shit. I guess she isn’t that big of a freak then, yeah?” Brian broke the silence with comedy-which he always did- and it calmed my nerves a bit. At least about Brian. Kevin was still staring into nothing, his tongue caught between his teeth. “Macy Jensen, the girl we made fun of, the girl who we sent to the hospital, the girl who knocked into you.” I nodded at his words, wondering what he meant.

“Well, could be worse I suppose.” He smiled and pulled me into a hug. I smiled in relief and let my chest fall. “So you guys aren’t upset?” “Why would be, our Brett’s becoming a manly man.” All three of us shared a laugh at Brian’s words and departed our separate ways as the bell rang.

Now I didn’t have to worry about loosing my best friends; just about loosing my reputation.
♠ ♠ ♠
still not the end. hey guys, you should subscribe to the sequel, yeah I have some things planned for it already.

NO SILENT READERS.